The Student Room Group

6th Form Choices - HELP!!

I’m currently in my third week of year 11, and School are obviously already piling on the need to start choosing our 6th form/college destinations. I’m definitely going to choose a 6th form, but I’m very indecisive at the moment. My school is currently making a collaborative 6th form with a nearby school ready in time for us to go into year 12 next year; my only fear is that it would be a bit rubbish, with it being a new thing and the other School having a bit of a different reputation to my School (which is deemed really successful in the area). This is really close to my house as I live five minutes down the road from School so it makes transport stupidly easy. However, I have another option of a further away grammar school 6th form which for me would be an amazing opportunity, but none of my friends would be there and the bus journey is an hour each way: I wouldn’t be home until 6pm at night. Plus, I do like the teachers at my current school and having moved schools 4 times and finally being really happy, id hate to have to go through the pain of settling into a new place again.

I also haven’t decided on what subjects I want to take, but I’m definitely sure on English Lit. I’m also thinking business, psychology, sociology, politics or philosophy and ethics (any of them really, I don’t know much about any to form a decent opinion). If you take these subjects, can you give me some idea of what they’re like or what the course involves!

Thank you! Have a good day💗💗

Soph
Original post by sophie080802
I’m currently in my third week of year 11, and School are obviously already piling on the need to start choosing our 6th form/college destinations. I’m definitely going to choose a 6th form, but I’m very indecisive at the moment. My school is currently making a collaborative 6th form with a nearby school ready in time for us to go into year 12 next year; my only fear is that it would be a bit rubbish, with it being a new thing and the other School having a bit of a different reputation to my School (which is deemed really successful in the area). This is really close to my house as I live five minutes down the road from School so it makes transport stupidly easy. However, I have another option of a further away grammar school 6th form which for me would be an amazing opportunity, but none of my friends would be there and the bus journey is an hour each way: I wouldn’t be home until 6pm at night. Plus, I do like the teachers at my current school and having moved schools 4 times and finally being really happy, id hate to have to go through the pain of settling into a new place again.

I also haven’t decided on what subjects I want to take, but I’m definitely sure on English Lit. I’m also thinking business, psychology, sociology, politics or philosophy and ethics (any of them really, I don’t know much about any to form a decent opinion). If you take these subjects, can you give me some idea of what they’re like or what the course involves!

Soph

Hey Soph!

I have just started year 12 and I am staying at my high school's sixth form. All my friends are here and it's close to home, so I feel comfortable. You can do well anywhere, as long as you put your mind to it. If you think the grammar school is worth the trek and starting all over again for a better school, go ahead.

But if I was in your situation, I would go to the one 5 minutes away because there will be people you know and you will have more time to do work at home instead of traveling. Personally for me, sixth form is about getting good grades and going to uni, not making new friends.

As for subjects, I take politics and sociology and I love them both, I'm sure you will love them too if you decide to pick one, it is very note heavy though so you should like writing and be able to make solid arguments.

Hope this helped and I'm not too late xxxx
Original post by strawberries567
Hey Soph!

I have just started year 12 and I am staying at my high school's sixth form. All my friends are here and it's close to home, so I feel comfortable. You can do well anywhere, as long as you put your mind to it. If you think the grammar school is worth the trek and starting all over again for a better school, go ahead.

But if I was in your situation, I would go to the one 5 minutes away because there will be people you know and you will have more time to do work at home instead of traveling. Personally for me, sixth form is about getting good grades and going to uni, not making new friends.

As for subjects, I take politics and sociology and I love them both, I'm sure you will love them too if you decide to pick one, it is very note heavy though so you should like writing and be able to make solid arguments.

Hope this helped and I'm not too late xxxx

Thank you! This has helped so much! I’m definitely leaning more towards my local 6th form, and I’m thinking of sociology/politics - I’m a big writer (English Lit is my favourite, essay writing is my best thing) so I’m sure I’d enjoy them. My English teacher has recommended I take essay heavy subjects which I agree with, I’m not very ‘academic’ in the ways of maths and science, though I was considering biology for a while. Thank you for your help!💜💜
Thank you! This has helped so much! I’m definitely leaning more towards my local 6th form, and I’m thinking of sociology/politics - I’m a big writer (English Lit is my favourite, essay writing is my best thing) so I’m sure I’d enjoy them. My English teacher has recommended I take essay heavy subjects which I agree with, I’m not very ‘academic’ in the ways of maths and science, though I was considering biology for a while. Thank you for your help!💜💜

You're so welcome, feel free to pm me anytime if you have anymore questions about 6th form! I am exactly the same, I am definitely not the maths or science type of gal and I am so glad I didn't pick them. Don't worry too much about picking subjects now though, you can often change/pick again once you've seen your GCSE results - I took History instead of Psychology because I got an A in history and I needed a 6 in maths for Psychology which I didn't get.

Good luck with GCSEs xxx

Soph

Hey! I'm yr 11 too and I know what you mean lol. All I wanted to say was look at a 6th form that's best suited for YOU and YOUR choices. Both 6th forms sound good but If I was in your choice I would research more into the grammar school and consider going there. Before you submit any application have a visit to all the open days you can. See if you actually like it before applying to it. Don't let what I say influence you. It's just advice. Just take the open days into consideration.
Btw what's the grammar school you'd like to go to? I say you should apply to both if you want. You've got loads of time to choose between the two. You could also check out the taster days. Take the atmosphere/ surrounding into consideration and whether you actually like it there.

Hope this helps!!:h::biggrin:

Soph

Do what you would make you happy. There is no point going to a grammar school if you won't be happy there and your grades will suffer because of it.

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't look into the grammar.
Original post by Party-P3opl3-9
Do what you would make you happy. There is no point going to a grammar school if you won't be happy there and your grades will suffer because of it.

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't look into the grammar.

Also, forgot to mention. Check if both the schools offer A levels/BTECs (depending on what you're doing)
Original post by Faeeza.Ifti
Hey! I'm yr 11 too and I know what you mean lol. All I wanted to say was look at a 6th form that's best suited for YOU and YOUR choices. Both 6th forms sound good but If I was in your choice I would research more into the grammar school and consider going there. Before you submit any application have a visit to all the open days you can. See if you actually like it before applying to it. Don't let what I say influence you. It's just advice. Just take the open days into consideration.
Btw what's the grammar school you'd like to go to? I say you should apply to both if you want. You've got loads of time to choose between the two. You could also check out the taster days. Take the atmosphere/ surrounding into consideration and whether you actually like it there.

Hope this helps!!:h::biggrin:

Hey thanks for your help!
I’m swaying towards my local 6th form, the grammar school is all girls and I tend to find girls a little petty and prefer the company of boys (they’re less drama). I’ll definitely go to all open evenings around me and totally consider my options as well as possible :smile:
Original post by Party-P3opl3-9
Also, forgot to mention. Check if both the schools offer A levels/BTECs (depending on what you're doing)

I’m definitely doing a levels, and both schools offer them. I’m going to consider my options but I think I’ll be happier in my local 6th form

Quick Reply

Latest