The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crème brûlée
Do predicted grades higher than the entry requirements give you any sort of advantage? I want to apply for medicine (a*aa required) and I was told that my predictions of 4a*s wouldn't :/

If your predicted A*s are in relevant subjects, you can definitely apply for Medicine at Imperial College.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Hiroi
Applying to imperial physics BSc this year as an international student:smile:

IB Predicted Grades:
Mathematics HL - 7
Physics HL - 7
Economics HL - 7
English B HL - 7
Chemistry SL - 7
Chinese A - 7
Core - 2
Overall - 44

The scores look good but it seems like I have those irrelevant subjects at HL...and btw does imperial give confirmation email after receiving UCAS application?

Don't worry as long as you are predicted 7 in HL Maths and Physics, 44 overall you have a good chance of getting an offer.

And for the confirmation email it sometimes take time, I remember mine took 1 week. Have you received an from UCAS confirming they have successfully sent your application to your choices?
Original post by igotnomoney
Hi guys I finished my year 13 this year and this is what I got and I want to apply for chemistry in imperial.
GCSE: AAAAAABBBBBB
AS LEVEL: AABB ( MATHS, CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS AND BUSINESS STUDIES respectively)
A LEVEL: A*A*A*( MATHS, CHEMISTRY AND BUSINESS STUDIES).
DO I STAND A CHANCE TO GET AN OFFER OR WILL I BE DECLINED BECAUSE OF MY GCSE AND AS LEVEL. 😕

You meet the entry requirements but I am frankly surprised that an AS-levels B in chemistry will lead to an A-level A*. You may receive an offer similar to your predictions but are you sure you can score them?
Original post by daisandy
applying for geophysics,
gcses: 12 a*s
as levels: aaaaa maths, furmaths, physcis, chemistry, music
a2 levels: a*-maths a-furmaths a-chem a-physics (achieved)
are my a2 grades high enough, considering the offer is a*aa

You have a very good chance but meeting the requirements does not necessarily mean getting an offer as the personal statement and other parts of the application will be also taken into account.
Reply 64
Original post by PMC01234
Don't worry as long as you are predicted 7 in HL Maths and Physics, 44 overall you have a good chance of getting an offer.

And for the confirmation email it sometimes take time, I remember mine took 1 week. Have you received an from UCAS confirming they have successfully sent your application to your choices?

Oh thank you! And yes, I have received the UCAS confirmation email:smile:
And btw, is it true that at imperial, there is a highly unequal gender ratio?:frown: something like a 7:3...?
Original post by Hiroi
Oh thank you! And yes, I have received the UCAS confirmation email:smile:
And btw, is it true that at imperial, there is a highly unequal gender ratio?:frown: something like a 7:3...?

Depends to which course, biology and medicine it's 50:50 but hard core engineering courses it goes 65:35.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PMC01234
You meet the entry requirements but I am frankly surprised that an AS-levels B in chemistry will lead to an A-level A*. You may receive an offer similar to your predictions but are you sure you can score them?

You read it wrong, I already got 3 A*, I'm in my gap year 😀
Original post by igotnomoney
You read it wrong, I already got 3 A*, I'm in my gap year 😀

oh very well! My mistake :smile:. If you have achieved these grades then you can apply, you are in the top candidates! Though, physics in place of business would have been an assured place.
Reply 68
Hi!
Intended subject: Electronic/Information Eng. + Biomedical Eng.
iGCSE: 8A*s 4As
IB Grade: predicted 43 + 7 in FM (7 in HL Maths, Phys, Bio, FM, Standard Eng Lit 6 in Chinese and History)
Extra-curricular: Tutors Year 11s for Maths, ASDAN Maths, Kangaroo, UKMT (all the typical stuff basically)

Do I stand a chance??
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 69
I'm on a gap year with A*AAA in Maths, Physics, Biology and Ecnomics which meets the mechanical engineering minimum requirements, but how likely am I to get an offer?
(edited 6 years ago)
Applying for biomedical engineering
IGCSEs: 5 A*s, 4 As, 1 B (B is for PE which I only did to avoid doing Geography)
AS Results:
Maths: A
Further maths: A
Physics: A
Chemistry: A
Spanish: A
French: A
A2 predicted grades:
Maths: A*
Further maths: A*
Physics: A*
Chemistry: A*
French: A
Spanish: A

Has anyone received an acknowledgement email from Imperial?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 71
Hi,
I am applying for Chemical Engineering (MEng)
Predicted Grades :
Chem A*
Maths A*
Physics A*
Biology A
EPQ A*

SPM : 7A+ 1A 1A-

Extracurricular :
1) Won in Asia Pacific Conference for Young Scientist (APCYS 15')
2) Participated in an Engineering Workshop by University of Malaya
3) Visited a power plant in northern east of Malaysia during summer break
4) Royal Military College of Malaysia graduate, received the Valedictorian award.
5) Epsom College in Malaysia full scholar (A-Levels)
6) Currently enrolled in an online course on Nuclear Energy (FutureLearn)
7) Fund raised RM 1500 through a Green Campaign under Young Voices for Conservation
8) School Prefect

What are the chances of me getting into Imperial? It is truly my dream and passion hahaha.
Applying for Joint Maths and Computing

AS results: AAAA (maths, further maths, physics, computing)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*a*a (maths, further maths, physics, epq, additional further maths AS) - since the school doesn't offer computing A2, which is explained in my reference

So overall I'll only have three full A levels as they are the only three offered in my school. Would doing three and not four A levels be considered a disadvantage?
Reply 73
Original post by sunsetyellow
Applying for Joint Maths and Computing

AS results: AAAA (maths, further maths, physics, computing)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*a*a (maths, further maths, physics, epq, additional further maths AS) - since the school doesn't offer computing A2, which is explained in my reference

So overall I'll only have three full A levels as they are the only three offered in my school. Would doing three and not four A levels be considered a disadvantage?

not at all. you're given no advantage having 4 a levels rather than 3.
Reply 74
Hello everyone! I am applying to Chemistry at Imperial and received an interview offer last night!
So my timeline is:
9/29 submitted my UCAS
10/3 got an acknowledgement email
10/6 got an email that my application is being considered in my academic department
10/10 got an interview offer (I am doing Skype one as I reside in Asia Pacific region. My interview date is 16th of October; actually, they haven't given me much choice upon the date)

I got:
IGCSE: 7A* 3A 1B
IB prediction: 43 with AA in ToK and EE (Chemistry), and 777 in HL (Econ Chem Maths)

I was very surprised because they said they start interviewing people from November but I got an interview offer last night.
I also have an offer from Bristol (34 665) which arrived on 3rd of October.
I am also applying to Bath, Cambridge, and Nottingham.
Applying for Chemical Engineering (MEng)

Predicted Grades :

Further Additional Maths A*
Chem A*
Physics A*

Achieved Grades:

EPQ A* (100%)
Maths A* (UMS average 100%)
Further Maths A* (UMS average 99%)

How do my chances stack up?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Najung
Hello everyone! I am applying to Chemistry at Imperial and received an interview offer last night!
So my timeline is:
9/29 submitted my UCAS
10/3 got an acknowledgement email
10/6 got an email that my application is being considered in my academic department
10/10 got an interview offer (I am doing Skype one as I reside in Asia Pacific region. My interview date is 16th of October; actually, they haven't given me much choice upon the date)

I got:
IGCSE: 7A* 3A 1B
IB prediction: 43 with AA in ToK and EE (Chemistry), and 777 in HL (Econ Chem Maths)

I was very surprised because they said they start interviewing people from November but I got an interview offer last night.
I also have an offer from Bristol (34 665) which arrived on 3rd of October.
I am also applying to Bath, Cambridge, and Nottingham.

congratulations!!!
applied for maths
gcse: 12 a*s
AS: 2 A's (maths n fm)
A2 predic: A* A* A* A (maths fm econ and phys)
wondering if i can afford to get an A in fm if i get two other A*s in maths n econ and an A in phys?
or does imperial generally tend to be strict with the 2 A*s in maths n fm for a maths degree
thank you
Original post by donnaseemchandra
Applying for Chemical Engineering (MEng)

Predicted Grades :

Further Additional Maths A*
Chem A*
Physics A*

Achieved Grades:

EPQ A* (100%)
Maths A* (UMS average 100%)
Further Maths A* (UMS average 99%)

How do my chances stack up?

I'll bet $20 that you're a troll
Sour?
(edited 6 years ago)