The Student Room Group

Really need part-time work at uni, but my course is too intense

It's ****ing ridiculous, I'm studying finance and I have 6pm lectures everyday. I need a part-time job at uni. My family life is ridiculously bad, I need to NOT rely on my parents as much as possible. I just don't know what I'm going to do when I'm just stuck in lectures and seminars basically every ****ing day
Reply 1
Well you did sign up for a full time course...

What about a job for the weekend?
Reply 2
Maybe talk to your unis about getting funding considering your circumstances. Or look into working in a bar where shifts would start later
...are you in college from 9-6 during the day or do your lectures start at 6? If the latter, what's stopping you working during the day for a few hours.

You need to look at your timetable and see where you could free up hours to work. If you can. Another option would be to get seasonal work during holiday time only.
Reply 4
Original post by AnnaGlypta
...are you in college from 9-6 during the day or do your lectures start at 6? If the latter, what's stopping you working during the day for a few hours.

You need to look at your timetable and see where you could free up hours to work. If you can. Another option would be to get seasonal work during holiday time only.

I'm basically at uni from 9-6 most days
Reply 5
Original post by storm95
Well you did sign up for a full time course...

What about a job for the weekend?

I'm trying to look for one haha with normal hours, I can't do 16
Reply 6
Original post by b_lythe
Maybe talk to your unis about getting funding considering your circumstances. Or look into working in a bar where shifts would start later

Yeah, I wish, I could do that but I can't work during monday-fri

cause my lectures start at 6pm

and I have to wake up at 8am, I could literally only do a 6-12 Shift on Saturday maybe a friday eve too and a wed? :/
weekend job?
Reply 8
Original post by bubblegumcat
weekend job?

Study time
Original post by APersonYo
Study time

do u have any breaks between lectures during the weekdays?
Reply 10
do u have any breaks between lectures during the weekdays?

Its okay... Found out the uni offers some really nice flexible jobs on campus so I'm feeling a bit happier :smile:
Its okay... Found out the uni offers some really nice flexible jobs on campus so I'm feeling a bit happier :smile:

yes they usually do, have they started hiring yet?
Does your uni offer any on campus jobs? Also student mentor/ambassador jobs
Reply 13
yes they usually do, have they started hiring yet?

Kind of... Some deadlines are approaching. I'll apply to everything and see what I get. The thing is I really need the money. My parents are well off so I only get the minimum loan. But they are horrible horrible horrible people. I studied so hard during A levels and ended up with A*A*A so I could get away from them. I want to be independent from them, I don't want to go back home during the holidays, it makes me so sad.
Kind of... Some deadlines are approaching. I'll apply to everything and see what I get. The thing is I really need the money. My parents are well off so I only get the minimum loan. But they are horrible horrible horrible people. I studied so hard during A levels and ended up with A*A*A so I could get away from them. I want to be independent from them, I don't want to go back home during the holidays, it makes me so sad.

yes apply soon, and ahh ok i see. What's your living situation like next year? have you secured a place?
Reply 15
yes apply soon, and ahh ok i see. What's your living situation like next year? have you secured a place?

Not yet, I'm just planning on saving money throughout the year and then get a summer job and maybe try and see if I can live in my 2nd year house on my own :/
It's ****ing ridiculous, I'm studying finance and I have 6pm lectures everyday. I need a part-time job at uni. My family life is ridiculously bad, I need to NOT rely on my parents as much as possible. I just don't know what I'm going to do when I'm just stuck in lectures and seminars basically every ****ing day

Mate just lol, contact hours at uni are a joke.
I'm trying to look for one haha with normal hours, I can't do 16

Also note that timetables change as semester changes. You may be in luck next term.
Look into working for the uni, such as a job like student ambassador, helping with admin etc. A lot of unis have jobs like these for students and they're 0 hours so you take the jobs you can do, as opposed to being stuck with a certain amount of hours when you may not be able to do them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending