The Student Room Group

Finding it so hard to get a job!

Since last month applied for countless jobs, spending about an hour on each application, and getting rejections from every single one! No one wants to give you feedback so I have no idea what's going wrong? I need some advice :frown:

My availability is only Wednesdays and Weekends, could this be this issue? I can't see any other reason for nobody to want to employ me. Did anyone else find it/is currently finding it this difficult?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheStudent19
Since last month applied for countless jobs, spending about an hour on each application, and getting rejections from every single one! No one wants to give you feedback so I have no idea what's going wrong? I need some advice :frown:

My availability is only Wednesdays and Weekends, could this be this issue? I can't see any other reason for nobody to want to employ me. Did anyone else find it/is currently finding it this difficult?

I applied to at least 35 jobs after finishing my a levels and everyone rejected me. Keep trying I guess and it’s all a lottery but I have been employed now by Primark
Original post by SherlockD
I applied to at least 35 jobs after finishing my a levels and everyone rejected me. Keep trying I guess and it’s all a lottery but I have been employed now by Primark

I applied to about this many when I first turned 16. I finally got a Christmas job in JD but it was only for a month. Now I've been unemployed for 2.5 years and I'm having to start again. I hope I don't end up applying to this many all over again :frown:
Any other opinions on this?
Do an electrician or plumbing apprenticeship and you'll never be out of work.

I know what you should do, move out to another city and look there.
The job market is quite competitive, especially retail. You are competing against those who may have more qualifications or more experience than you. That being said, you still have a chance, sometimes it is just good luck that you are offered the role. Sometimes it is who you know?

You say that you are only able to work Wednesdays and weekends, which could be another reason. Employers prefer someone who can be more flexible. Is this something you are able to relax on?

Are you currently looking for work or going into further study? If you have a lack of experience, looking for volunteering in the meantime may be a good idea. It doesn't look that good to have gaps of unemployment and it does show to bosses that you have the initiative to do something useful. It also teaches you skills and gives you a reference. Sadly, not many jobs offer feedback (too many applications, too busy). If you want to, you could contact them yourself. Also, have you got anyone to check over your CV? Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can bring up ways to improve it.
Original post by cheesecakelove
The job market is quite competitive, especially retail. You are competing against those who may have more qualifications or more experience than you. That being said, you still have a chance, sometimes it is just good luck that you are offered the role. Sometimes it is who you know?

You say that you are only able to work Wednesdays and weekends, which could be another reason. Employers prefer someone who can be more flexible. Is this something you are able to relax on?

Are you currently looking for work or going into further study? If you have a lack of experience, looking for volunteering in the meantime may be a good idea. It doesn't look that good to have gaps of unemployment and it does show to bosses that you have the initiative to do something useful. It also teaches you skills and gives you a reference. Sadly, not many jobs offer feedback (too many applications, too busy). If you want to, you could contact them yourself. Also, have you got anyone to check over your CV? Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can bring up ways to improve it.

I'm at uni all other days of the week so I really can only do Wednesdays and Weekends. I did volunteer for a few months in a charity shop but it was so boring that I left and just happened to get a job the next month (only for a month though). I don't really fancy volunteering like that again. Hopefully at uni I can find something related to my degree?

I might send my CV to a couple of people to get them to have a look over it too. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Unfortunately, looking for a job is a long, tiring process. Volunteering in charity shops isn't ideal for most young people but it's something most of us have to do in order to progress into getting a paid part-time job in retail. Your only options really are to keep applying or continue volunteering (either in roles relating to your degree or something similar to charity shops).
I'm at uni all other days of the week so I really can only do Wednesdays and Weekends. I did volunteer for a few months in a charity shop but it was so boring that I left and just happened to get a job the next month (only for a month though). I don't really fancy volunteering like that again. Hopefully at uni I can find something related to my degree?

I might send my CV to a couple of people to get them to have a look over it too. Thanks for the advice :smile:

No problem! :smile: You can use your careers centre for help with your CV, applications and interviews (fingers crossed). What are you studying? Sometimes at uni or your local volunteer centre, they will have a huge list of volunteering opportunities. Not just charity shops if you aren't interested, there can be clean-up projects, children's clubs, admin, charity fundraising, etc. Having different types of volunteering and responsibilities might look good on your CV?
No problem! :smile: You can use your careers centre for help with your CV, applications and interviews (fingers crossed). What are you studying? Sometimes at uni or your local volunteer centre, they will have a huge list of volunteering opportunities. Not just charity shops if you aren't interested, there can be clean-up projects, children's clubs, admin, charity fundraising, etc. Having different types of volunteering and responsibilities might look good on your CV?

I'm studying Computer Science but obviously I'm not going to go straight into working for Google lol so I'm still looking for entry level/retail work. Maybe with my uni I'll be able to find some kind of office work or whatever which will translate a bit better to retail. Or maybe just teaching kids or something.

The thing with my CV is I don't think it's that bad. I've done some stuff with my sixth form like head girl and whatnot. I literally think its just my availability they don't like, which sucks :frown: Do you know if many stores tend to hire purely weekend staff anymore or if they really want people who can do weekdays mainly?
Original post by bones-mccoy
Unfortunately, looking for a job is a long, tiring process. Volunteering in charity shops isn't ideal for most young people but it's something most of us have to do in order to progress into getting a paid part-time job in retail. Your only options really are to keep applying or continue volunteering (either in roles relating to your degree or something similar to charity shops).

Yeah I'll keep having a crack at it. I didn't expect it to be this difficult to find weekend work tbh. Most of my friends have jobs already which I'm a little jealous of haha. I'll just have to keep trying.
I'm studying Computer Science but obviously I'm not going to go straight into working for Google lol so I'm still looking for entry level/retail work. Maybe with my uni I'll be able to find some kind of office work or whatever which will translate a bit better to retail. Or maybe just teaching kids or something.

The thing with my CV is I don't think it's that bad. I've done some stuff with my sixth form like head girl and whatnot. I literally think its just my availability they don't like, which sucks :frown: Do you know if many stores tend to hire purely weekend staff anymore or if they really want people who can do weekdays mainly?

Depends on the store really. I think most shops would prefer staff who can work weekdays and weekends, but there may be some in your area who are only looking for weekend staff. Are you able to work weekday evenings? Have you considered looking for waitressing or bartending jobs?
Depends on the store really. I think most shops would prefer staff who can work weekdays and weekends, but there may be some in your area who are only looking for weekend staff. Are you able to work weekday evenings? Have you considered looking for waitressing or bartending jobs?

Well I finish uni at 4:30 or 5:30 some days, so if it takes me an hour to get home then I might be able to work from about 6 or 7ish but that's when shops close. Maybe I could work evenings in a bar or whatever but I'll have to have another look into it. Working retail on my days off is really the ideal situation for me.
Well I finish uni at 4:30 or 5:30 some days, so if it takes me an hour to get home then I might be able to work from about 6 or 7ish but that's when shops close. Maybe I could work evenings in a bar or whatever but I'll have to have another look into it. Working retail on my days off is really the ideal situation for me.

I remember when I first left high school with no experience and it took me over a YEAR to get the part time job I'm in today so I'd make sure your CV is looking good and literally hand your CV out everywhere as someone is bound to give you a call. Also, try looking on a website called Indeed and search for jobs in your area.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Ashleigh1816
I remember when I first left high school with no experience and it took me over a YEAR to get the part time job I'm in today so I'd make sure your CV is looking good and literally hand your CV out everywhere as someone is bound to give you a call. Also, try looking on a website called Indeed and search for jobs in your area.
Hope this helps :smile:

Damn. That's a long time. I'll keep searching on Indeed.
I am I can't find a job anywhere. They always say that they don't think the job is for me but they never say why AND when ever I apply anywhere there is nothing for people my age. I am 16 but I am 17 in March, I thought this was the problem but then other people my age are getting the jobs that I have applied for I don't get it. I wonder if its because I don't have experience but then it's like I can't get experience without getting a job first. Although my availability is only the weekends and evenings, maybe that's the issue also.
What kinds of jobs are you applying for? Sometimes it can be who you know that helps you get the job - have you asked friends or family if they know of any vacancies going at their workplace? I would also look at volunteering to boost your experience - look at do-it.org or go to your local volunteer centre. Once you start, you will build up your skills and experience, as well as some good references.

Original post by Haji_234
I am I can't find a job anywhere. They always say that they don't think the job is for me but they never say why AND when ever I apply anywhere there is nothing for people my age. I am 16 but I am 17 in March, I thought this was the problem but then other people my age are getting the jobs that I have applied for I don't get it. I wonder if its because I don't have experience but then it's like I can't get experience without getting a job first. Although my availability is only the weekends and evenings, maybe that's the issue also.
What kinds of jobs are you applying for? Sometimes it can be who you know that helps you get the job - have you asked friends or family if they know of any vacancies going at their workplace? I would also look at volunteering to boost your experience - look at do-it.org or go to your local volunteer centre. Once you start, you will build up your skills and experience, as well as some good references.

I am literally looking at everything from dog walking to sweeping up hair at a salon, I don't have any friends or family that live near me. I volunteer constantly with several charities and I do a lot with my college too, I'll try though cause its getting really frustrating, I know my sister doesn't understand she keeps yelling "It's cheap labour you can get them to do anything!" I would find it more entertaining if I wasn't so stressed about it too.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending