The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecds
Hi everyone,

Re-applicant here. Got two offers last year from UCL and Bristol but after getting my A levels I've decided to give Oxford another go (got rejected on base of BMAT last year). I don't know too much about Manchester UKCAT but I sat mine yesterday (sadly did worse than last year).

UKCAT: Band 2 + 2790 but might go up because one of my UKCAT stems was missing.
GCSEs: 12 A*s
A level: 3A* (bio, them, eng lit) and 1 A (Physics)

I was wondering whether my UKCAT was good enough to but Manchester down?

Hey!

Your UKCAT is definitely good enough... if your score is above 70% (which it most likely will be :h:) then you should get an interview considering your NAI form is reasonable

Good Luck on the BMAT for this year! :smile:
Hi I got a UKCAT score 2600, 650.... Predicted AAA, I did the Irish version of GCSE's which dont have A*s but I got 5 A's.. I have an amazing PS... Do you think its worth applying to manchester
Original post by Linalolo
Hi I got a UKCAT score 2600, 650.... Predicted AAA, I did the Irish version of GCSE's which dont have A*s but I got 5 A's.. I have an amazing PS... Do you think its worth applying to manchester

It looks like you meet their academic entry criteria. Your UKCAT would likely be slightly below Manchester's threshold of top third nationally as their first route of inviting candidates to interview. You would therefore be considered as part of their holistic assessment. Some candidates may have scored below the top third in their UKCAT but be holding a string of A*s at GCSE and a couple of A*s predicted at A Level, so you would have to assess how competitive your academics are. Manchester use their Non Academic Information form as opposed to the Personal Statement, so you would have to make sure that your NAI form is strong. It's competitive but if you fancy going to Manchester then its worth a shot.

It may be worth including a back up in your applications that doesn't put too much weighting on UKCAT so if you weren't successful in getting an interview at Manchester then you still have a good chance elsewhere. Best of luck!
Original post by Scruffy Jack
It looks like you meet their academic entry criteria. Your UKCAT would likely be slightly below Manchester's threshold of top third nationally as their first route of inviting candidates to interview. You would therefore be considered as part of their holistic assessment. Some candidates may have scored below the top third in their UKCAT but be holding a string of A*s at GCSE and a couple of A*s predicted at A Level, so you would have to assess how competitive your academics are. Manchester use their Non Academic Information form as opposed to the Personal Statement, so you would have to make sure that your NAI form is strong. It's competitive but if you fancy going to Manchester then its worth a shot.

It may be worth including a back up in your applications that doesn't put too much weighting on UKCAT so if you weren't successful in getting an interview at Manchester then you still have a good chance elsewhere. Best of luck!

Thanks so much for your help! My non academics are really interesting but I feel I have a really small chance of getting in :afraid:
Reply 144
4A* 5A and C in french
756 band 1 ukcat
A in AS Physcics and A* in a level italian achieved.
A*A*A* predictions

is manchester a good option? what other options are good?
Thanks so much for your help! My non academics are really interesting but I feel I have a really small chance of getting in :afraid:

I’m not applying with 660 it’s too risky /:
Original post by hdheimdnbf
i’m not applying with 660 it’s too risky /:

do it take a risk u wanna go manchester or you want to go to poopoo school
do it take a risk u wanna go manchester or you want to go to poopoo school

Poopoo?
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
Poopoo?

A shite school!
A shite school!

The other ones I’m applying to aren’t bad lol
HYMS
Newcastle
St George’s
Liverpool
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
The other ones I’m applying to aren’t bad lol
HYMS
Newcastle
St George’s
Liverpool

You do know newcastle is like 700+ ukcat cut off right?
Original post by lolz23489

So which universities have a low ukcat cut off and also require 5 A*-A GCSE's or less. Whats glasgows cut off like?
Original post by lolz23489

Partners scheme has a lower cut off
Hi guys
Do you think it worth applying to manchester?
Achieved A-levels: A*AA
Gcses: 6A* 6A
Ukcat: 700 band 2 sjt??
Original post by Dan Milik
Hi guys
Do you think it worth applying to manchester?
Achieved A-levels: A*AA
Gcses: 6A* 6A
Ukcat: 700 band 2 sjt??

Hey

Yes definitely. With your GCSEs and UKCAT score you will most certainly get an interview so long as your NAI form looks good :smile:
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Hey

Yes definitely. With your GCSEs and UKCAT score you will most certainly get an interview so long as your NAI form looks good :smile:

is it okay to write duke of edinburgh as DofE? also my WE is 1100 characters, does that seem good enough length wise?
Original post by singhaman
is it okay to write duke of edinburgh as DofE? also my WE is 1100 characters, does that seem good enough length wise?

Yes that would be fine and yh it does. Just make sure it's all relevant and concise as possible
Hey I’m not applying to machete with a ukcat of 660. Should I wait till final deciles or just apply early and not apply to Manchester?
Reply 158
Thanks
Original post by _Kermit
Hey I've applied.
My stats are:
GCSEs- 2A*, 8A, 1B
Alevels (achieved)- AAA and an A in EPQ
Ukcat: 667.5 Band 2
I know the UKCAT is pretty low but Manchester is the one I really want to go to, do you think they'll give more leeway to those who've already done their A-levels?
Thank you for the info on this thread by the way- really helpful for clueless folks like me lol.

No sorry, the UKCAT cut off will be the same for those with achieved and predicted A levels

Last year the cut off was 653 and your score is well above that so applying to Manchester was a good choice :smile: You just have to hope for an interview

Latest

Trending

Trending