The Student Room Group

Why don't I deserve the same respect?

I'm a fresher at uni, which comes with the stereotype of going out getting wasted every night. But this isn't me. I am in my jammies at 8pm watching Netflix with a cup of tea. I hate late nights. At home I'm asleep by 10pm and I'm up and awake by 7am every morning.

I want this to carry on at uni, but others in my accommodation are of course going out getting drunk and coming home at 3am. That's completely fine they want to go out and have a good time. That's their idea of a good time, but that is my idea of a terrible time.

I'm on the ground floor and the smoking area is right outside my window. They go out and smoke and the windows are so crap I can hear every word of the conversation. I sent them a message at midnight the other day asking them to move somewhere else or talk a bit quieter because the windows don't keep noise out. I could hear them read out my message to each other after I sent it. They ignored it.

They come back drunk and screaming and shouting at 3am waking more than just me up. I've asked them to be a bit quieter when coming back. They've ignored me.

And tonight, they're having pre-drinks in the floor above me. I've asked them to not play music too loud to which they replied "the speaker is banging" and "don't knock it until you've tried it". They asked me to join them and I said it isn't my thing.

If I went around accommodation shouting at 7am they would want me to be quiet, so why doesn't it work the other way around? I understand that not everyone is a morning person, so why can't they understand that not everyone is a night owl? I prefer getting a good night's sleep and having a productive day instead of sleeping all day and partying all night. There is nothing wrong with that.

We have 24 hour security available and I can call or text them if my neighbours are being too loud and I will probably have to do this tonight to make them stop.

I don't want there to be tension, I just want to have a mutual respect for them. I'm quiet in the mornings. I shut my doors quietly so they don't bang (they're fire doors so have to be heavy and they slam loudly every time). Why can't they respect that I'm different to them?

I know that calling security will cause more issues, but I'd rather have security stop the noise so I can sleep than make me stay awake for hours. On the first night of freshers I was kept awake for 3 hours as they chatted, listened to music, screamed and shouted most of the night.

What happened to mutual respect? Each to their own? I'm not going to feel pressured into drinking loads, destroying my liver and failing my course just because it's "cool".

Scroll to see replies

I'm aware. But it is just basic manners to be quiet during the night.
It is basic manners to be quiet at night, but this is Freshers and people have just moved away from home, they're excited with all this new freedom, they can do what they like, when they like, and it can be quite overwhelming for some. I'm not sure what you expected living in halls would be like but I'd say give them the benefit of the doubt for now, just until Freshers has ended, then come down harder if you need to. People do start going out less when proper lectures start up and the excitement of living away from home wears off. You do sound quite judgemental, though.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd be the same, I hate going out and i'd rather stay at home in my pj's watching youtube and being comfy instead of going on a night out. I feel you pain! I would just say maybe you start making noise in the morning and do the same to them, see how they like it. It's annoying bc everyone expects everyone to enjoy late nights bc 'you're young' or whatever but not everyone enjoys it.

Just make there mornings hell lol
Yes, after Freshers' Week it should get less noisy. If the problem persists, you could try to find alternative accommodation to somewhere more quiet (like a quieter block or on another floor)? Or invest in a decent pair of earplugs?
ALSO it works the same, you want them to be quiet because its night time and they'd want you to be quiet because its the morning. They shouldn't expect you to be quiet just because they've been out all night drinking then they need to lay around all day (couldn't think of anything worse tbh). Just treat them with the same way they treat you.
Original post by bones-mccoy
You do sound quite judgemental, though.

How do they sound judgemental?
Original post by wonderuss
How do they sound judgemental?

Assuming that those who drink and go out a lot will fail their course
Well, you sound like a barrel of laughs.

They will? People like that just go for the drinks and not the actual course. Money wasters mhmm

Ah no I never said everyone who does ends up failing. However, several people in my accommodation have not done any reading for their courses such as ancient history and English which have pretty hefty reading lists. If that's the way they start, you can't blame me for thinking it doesn't look like it's going to go very well.
Original post by King Leonidas
Well, you sound like a barrel of laughs.

Thanks, I am.
Original post by cheesecakelove
Yes, after Freshers' Week it should get less noisy. If the problem persists, you could try to find alternative accommodation to somewhere more quiet (like a quieter block or on another floor)? Or invest in a decent pair of earplugs?

If I could move I would but I all other accommodation is the same (from what I've heard from other students - flat parties, pre-drinks and getting drunk) and I have no resources to move. I am in the process of looking into good earplugs though. I currently have cheap ones from Asda which work to some extent but my dad knows a guy who uses ear plugs for his motorcycle so we're going to look into seeing if I should get some of those.
If the noise doesn't abate after Freshers, ask to be moved to a quieter building.
It seems like you guys haven't had a good start. Whenever I had sound problems, I would tell my residential tutor who was so respected that people instantly apologised and moved on.
I found it died down after a few weeks and people had work to do.
Might be worth asking one of the ones that you think would be sympathetic towards you to swap rooms, or if worst comes to worst, asking your accommodation services to transfer to a quieter room, they're usually good with those kind of requests if they have space available (which they probably will as a lot of people drop out or just don't show up in the first couple weeks).
Get some ear plugs
Original post by DrawTheLine
I'm a fresher at uni, which comes with the stereotype of going out getting wasted every night. But this isn't me. I am in my jammies at 8pm watching Netflix with a cup of tea. I hate late nights. At home I'm asleep by 10pm and I'm up and awake by 7am every morning.

I want this to carry on at uni, but others in my accommodation are of course going out getting drunk and coming home at 3am. That's completely fine they want to go out and have a good time. That's their idea of a good time, but that is my idea of a terrible time.

I'm on the ground floor and the smoking area is right outside my window. They go out and smoke and the windows are so crap I can hear every word of the conversation. I sent them a message at midnight the other day asking them to move somewhere else or talk a bit quieter because the windows don't keep noise out. I could hear them read out my message to each other after I sent it. They ignored it.

They come back drunk and screaming and shouting at 3am waking more than just me up. I've asked them to be a bit quieter when coming back. They've ignored me.

And tonight, they're having pre-drinks in the floor above me. I've asked them to not play music too loud to which they replied "the speaker is banging" and "don't knock it until you've tried it". They asked me to join them and I said it isn't my thing.

If I went around accommodation shouting at 7am they would want me to be quiet, so why doesn't it work the other way around? I understand that not everyone is a morning person, so why can't they understand that not everyone is a night owl? I prefer getting a good night's sleep and having a productive day instead of sleeping all day and partying all night. There is nothing wrong with that.

We have 24 hour security available and I can call or text them if my neighbours are being too loud and I will probably have to do this tonight to make them stop.

I don't want there to be tension, I just want to have a mutual respect for them. I'm quiet in the mornings. I shut my doors quietly so they don't bang (they're fire doors so have to be heavy and they slam loudly every time). Why can't they respect that I'm different to them?

I know that calling security will cause more issues, but I'd rather have security stop the noise so I can sleep than make me stay awake for hours. On the first night of freshers I was kept awake for 3 hours as they chatted, listened to music, screamed and shouted most of the night.

What happened to mutual respect? Each to their own? I'm not going to feel pressured into drinking loads, destroying my liver and failing my course just because it's "cool".

I got you say it's not your thing but have you tried it i mean it's only one night whats the worst that could happen.the long and the short of it is it's only a few hours of your life and you don't have to get drunk hell i just drunk J2O on nights out at uni.
haha. your flatmates sound like right laughs :yy:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending