The Student Room Group

How do you revise A level Sociology?

I got a C in AS Sociology I genuinely don't know how but I digress. Anyway I am stuck i don't know how to revise for sociology at all or even where to begin there are so many different theorists and it's really content heavy. I have been making notes but it's regurgitating information I've seen other sources such as the cgp book or revise sociology but the information is too condense and I cannot for whatever reason get my head around using the textbook written by Rob Webb.
I feel like how I will fail sociology and I seriously need advice and help becuase I'm aiming for a A but i feel like I can't even appropriately revsie for the subject
Reply 1
I feel exactly the same :frown:
Do you enjoy this subject?
You have to find a revision method that suits you best. I didn't like mind-maps or revision cards and never really had a problem remembering or applying the knowledge, only the theorists.

I went through all the sociologists in all my topics, highlighted them, listed them on a separate piece of paper, names and a line or two on what they believed, not a huge paragraph because its difficult to remember like that. I kept going over them until I remembered enough for the 20 and 30 mark questions.. Testing them with other peers also helped, especially nearer to the exam.

It may or may not work for you but you have to experiment, sooner rather than later. I was getting Es and Ds at the start of the course and ended up with an A at the end.
(edited 6 years ago)
Our teacher uses summary sheets for each topic. I find them incredibly useful as it allows you to condense notes in your own way whilst still having everything in one place, topic by topic. The sheets always have a key terms box, key sociologists and then a box for sociological perspectives on the topic too. Our school also has a buddy system between Y12 and 13 where we team up with a student from the year below to help them with AS topics because then it helps you revise too. (Really hope this made sense haha) Podcasts are also my fave as I can just listen to random bits and bobs wile on the bus and utilise my time instead of just listening to music.
Reply 5
Original post by LaFuenteBlanca
I got a C in AS Sociology I genuinely don't know how but I digress. Anyway I am stuck i don't know how to revise for sociology at all or even where to begin there are so many different theorists and it's really content heavy. I have been making notes but it's regurgitating information I've seen other sources such as the cgp book or revise sociology but the information is too condense and I cannot for whatever reason get my head around using the textbook written by Rob Webb.
I feel like how I will fail sociology and I seriously need advice and help becuase I'm aiming for a A but i feel like I can't even appropriately revsie for the subject

Hi! :hi: I got A in AS Sociology (my exam board was OCR) after getting an E in the mocks. I agree sociology is really tricky to revise for (I am not completely sure how I got A), but here is what I did. :smile:

1. Read mark schemes and tailor your answer to get the marks.
2. Do past papers.
3. Read model answers.
4. Learn no more studies/theories than you need to know. For example, if you only need five studies and theories on a certain topic like gender and identity to write a 20 marks essay, only learn five, but study them so well that you remember them.
5. Summarise the studies and theories in your own words. Keep the summary as short as possible, but do not make it so short that you do not understand the study or theory anymore. You will find that it takes no more than 10-15 words to sum up most of them. :jive:
6. Read all your short notes over and over again.
7. Try alternative methods of revision like flash cards; see which learning technique suits you best! :yep:
8. If it helps, apply the studies and theories to the real world. I did this for a bit and even used them as examples and links to the real world in an interview, which helped me memorise and understand them! :grin:
9. Stick to a schedule which includes at least a few hours of revision per week. Even if you cannot keep it up for long, it will still help a lot. I studied 6 hours per subject weekly for three weeks and came out with AAAB at AS, to exemplify. (I did not study much outside of those three weeks, the week before the mocks, and a few days before the exams, either.)
10. Stay calm and do not let yourself become extremely stressed and overwhelmed. Sociology does indeed have a lot of content, but said content also happens to be easy and logical, so you can definitely do well. :h: If you do this, you will already have fought a part of the battle. You can do this! :rave:

Best of luck, OP! :penguinhug:
(edited 6 years ago)
I got an A at AS and i am aiming for an A* at A2 and study Sociology at university!

My advice is after each topic, write out flash cards for each sociologist and sociological concept! This is what worked the best for me!

Also, look at past paper questions online and create an essay plan for each question so you are prepared for anything that’ll come up in the exam!

Try making powerpoints on each theory/topic and condense the information onto one slide for each point. Once the powerpoint is completed try teaching it to a family member or a friend! This way, you get a better understanding of the content!

Try making mindmaps for each topic too! Make them colourful, add pictures etc and stick them on your wall. This really helped me!!

If you don’t enjoy Sociology or find it tricky, always revise it first! Put it as a priority and aim high for that A!!

In Sociology, i think a lot of the marks are gained from exam technique. Practice pastpapers and ask your teacher to mark them throughout the year!

Hope this helped and good luck on getting an A!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ASDF009
You have to find a revision method that suits you best. I didn't like mind-maps or revision cards and never really had a problem remembering or applying the knowledge, only the theorists.

I went through all the sociologists in all my topics, highlighted them, listed them on a separate piece of paper, names and a line or two on what they believed, not a huge paragraph because its difficult to remember like that. I kept going over them until I remembered enough for the 20 and 30 mark questions.. Testing them with other peers also helped, especially nearer to the exam.

It may or may not work for you but you have to experiment, sooner rather than later. I was getting Es and Ds at the start of the course and ended up with an A at the end.

is that all you did in terms of revising for Sociology you learnt enough of the theorists and applied the appropriate exam technique to get that A grade
Reply 8
I got a C in AS last year and ended up getting an A this year. Honestly the past papers and haralambos are key
Original post by emily.firth
Our teacher uses summary sheets for each topic. I find them incredibly useful as it allows you to condense notes in your own way whilst still having everything in one place, topic by topic. The sheets always have a key terms box, key sociologists and then a box for sociological perspectives on the topic too. Our school also has a buddy system between Y12 and 13 where we team up with a student from the year below to help them with AS topics because then it helps you revise too. (Really hope this made sense haha) Podcasts are also my fave as I can just listen to random bits and bobs wile on the bus and utilise my time instead of just listening to music.

can u elaborate more please on what you mean by sociological perspectives
can u elaborate more please on what you mean by sociological perspectives

Marxism, Functionalism and so on...
is that all you did in terms of revising for Sociology you learnt enough of the theorists and applied the appropriate exam technique to get that A grade

Yeah. I must add I also took history and geography so I could include a lot of outside information which really boosted my marks. I was always good with knowledge and applying it, just needed to revise the names.

And my course was linear so I had already been preparing the exam for two years in a way. The exams this year were not too bad, functionalism came up quite often, a lot of people in my class did really well.
Original post by sociologygem
I got an A at AS and i am aiming for an A* at A2 and study Sociology at university!

My advice is after each topic, write out flash cards for each sociologist and sociological concept! This is what worked the best for me!

Also, look at past paper questions online and create an essay plan for each question so you are prepared for anything that’ll come up in the exam!

Try making powerpoints on each theory/topic and condense the information onto one slide for each point. Once the powerpoint is completed try teaching it to a family member or a friend! This way, you get a better understanding of the content!

Try making mindmaps for each topic too! Make them colourful, add pictures etc and stick them on your wall. This really helped me!!

If you don’t enjoy Sociology or find it tricky, always revise it first! Put it as a priority and aim high for that A!!

In Sociology, i think a lot of the marks are gained from exam technique. Practice pastpapers and ask your teacher to mark them throughout the year!

Hope this helped and good luck on getting an A!!!

Thanks so much!! Is it too late for me to revise using these techniques?? I’m in year 12 and my exams are in May. I’ve been revising since October, but I feel like my revision has been so ineffective, as I can barely remember anything. Is it too late? :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Michiyo
Hi! :hi: I got A in AS Sociology (my exam board was OCR) after getting an E in the mocks. I agree sociology is really tricky to revise for (I am not completely sure how I got A), but here is what I did. :smile:
1. Read mark schemes and tailor your answer to get the marks.
2. Do past papers.
3. Read model answers.
4. Learn no more studies/theories than you need to know. For example, if you only need five studies and theories on a certain topic like gender and identity to write a 20 marks essay, only learn five, but study them so well that you remember them.
5. Summarise the studies and theories in your own words. Keep the summary as short as possible, but do not make it so short that you do not understand the study or theory anymore. You will find that it takes no more than 10-15 words to sum up most of them. :jive:
6. Read all your short notes over and over again.
7. Try alternative methods of revision like flash cards; see which learning technique suits you best! :yep:
8. If it helps, apply the studies and theories to the real world. I did this for a bit and even used them as examples and links to the real world in an interview, which helped me memorise and understand them! :grin:
9. Stick to a schedule which includes at least a few hours of revision per week. Even if you cannot keep it up for long, it will still help a lot. I studied 6 hours per subject weekly for three weeks and came out with AAAB at AS, to exemplify. (I did not study much outside of those three weeks, the week before the mocks, and a few days before the exams, either.)
10. Stay calm and do not let yourself become extremely stressed and overwhelmed. Sociology does indeed have a lot of content, but said content also happens to be easy and logical, so you can definitely do well. :h: If you do this, you will already have fought a part of the battle. You can do this! :rave:
Best of luck, OP! :penguinhug:

hii.I know this is REALLYY lateee but do you think this can be applied to AQA sociology A-LEVEL as i am going to have my AS exams in 1 month and very worried

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending