The Student Room Group

Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 - out now!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/good-university-guide-2018-in-full-tp6dzs7wn

Top 3 unchanged with Cambridge at #1
Loughborough now in the top 10.
LSE drops out of the top 10 to 11th.
Exeter drops out of top 10 to 14th.
Glasgow into the top 20.

Complete table

Rank 2018 : Rank 2017 : University
1 : 1 : University of Cambridge
2 : 2 : University of Oxford
3 : 3 : University of St Andrews
4 : 5 : Imperial College London
5 : 4 : Durham University
6 : 9= : Lancaster University
7= : 6 : University College London
7= : 11 : Loughborough University
9 : 7 : University of Warwick
10 : 13 : University of Leeds

Expand for more...

Spoiler

Also:
As well as institutional ranking, The Sunday Times and The Times have identified the centres of excellence within each of 67 subject areas. The subject rankings are based on student opinion on teaching quality and their wider university experience, combined with the outcomes of the 2014 research assessments, graduate job prospects and course entry standards.

Cambridge holds top position in 30 subjects, including Maths, Law, Economics. Oxford is top in 5 subjects, including Medicine. Edinburgh, Glasgow, Loughborough, St Andrews and Strathclyde have 3 each.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Some things to consider about this:

1) As someone with experience of teaching at both Exeter and Bath, I can say Exeter is far superior so I immediately don't trust this list, and am going to look up what metrics they are using to rank these unis.

2) I heard that there is this huge bias in most newspaper-compiled lists to Universities with Nobel prize winners (that includes if staff won a nobel prize there then moved). As most Nobel laureates work at Russell Group universities, this takes a huge amount of focus away from newer universities that may be doing brilliant research and offer great teaching.

Saying that, Bath is probably the youngest university in this list having only existed 50 years, and im fairly certain they dont have any Nobel laureates
Reply 2
Original post by QuentinM
Some things to consider about this:

1) As someone with experience of teaching at both Exeter and Bath, I can say Exeter is far superior so I immediately don't trust this list, and am going to look up what metrics they are using to rank these unis.

2) I heard that there is this huge bias in most newspaper-compiled lists to Universities with Nobel prize winners (that includes if staff won a nobel prize there then moved). As most Nobel laureates work at Russell Group universities, this takes a huge amount of focus away from newer universities that may be doing brilliant research and offer great teaching.

Saying that, Bath is probably the youngest university in this list having only existed 50 years, and im fairly certain they dont have any Nobel laureates

1) they both got Golds in the recent TEF so overall quality of teaching is pretty good. Although it's not at a subject specific level yet.

2) Nobels are not counted in the methodology... Not least because they aren't available in all subject areas. (A former Bath researcher won one in 2010.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
loughborough > LSE ???

il have what hes smoking
Original post by MathMan+C
loughborough > LSE ???

il have what hes smoking

Wholelottatruth right here. LSE probably gets dragged down for it's low satisfaction score but that's not a decent reason.

Anyway Warwick is my first choice so ayy.
Someone get me a pair of glasses ... mmm... where is Warwick?
Original post by Lilsthebest

We haven't seen anything yet from them, as we don't yet actually have the full ranking list

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Lilsthebest

Original post by DreamlinerFinder
We haven't seen anything yet from them, as we don't yet actually have the full ranking list

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two places above LSE.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
The full rankings will be published on Sunday, but from early press releases the top universities look like this:

Glasgow into the top 20.

Rank 2018 : Rank 2017 : University
1 : 1 : Cambridge
2 : 2 : Oxford
3 : 3 : St Andrews
4 : 5 : Imperial
5 : 4 : Durham
6 : 9= : Lancaster
7= : 6 : UCL
7= : 11 : Loughborough
9 : 7 : Warwick
10 : 13 : Leeds
11 : 8 : LSE
12 : 12 : Bath
13 : 15 : University of East Anglia
14 : 9= : Exeter
15 : 16 : Birmingham
16= : 19 : Bristol
16= : 17 : York
18 : 20 : Nottingham
19 tbc
20 : 29 : Glasgow

I will update the OP as more info arrives :smile:

St Andrew's above imperial and UCL???
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous1502

As per last year, and the same for CUG and The Guardian rankings too.

So... yes.
As per last year, and the same for CUG and The Guardian rankings too.

So... yes.

How?
Reply 11
How?

Rankings depend on methodologies. Check the methodology... :wink:

pretty sure that st andrews has almost always been above UCL in domestic league tables
I've never paid much attention with Uni rankings but pleasant (I guess) to see three of the Unis I plan on applying to on there.
......................who cares ? i thought league tables were irrelevant
Original post by Acend1992
......................who cares ? i thought league tables were irrelevant

Well, even if they are, this is a student website. It's either discussing league tables or we go back to discussing what it means when a girl reads your Facebook message but doesn't reply. League tables are marginally more interesting.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Well, even if they are, this is a student website. It's either discussing league tables or we go back to discussing what it means when a girl reads your Facebook message but doesn't reply. League tables are marginally more interesting.

or brexit and Islam

it's basically the whole forum,
The full rankings will be published on Sunday, but from early press releases the top universities look like this:

Glasgow into the top 20.

Why is LSE still so highly ranked above so many unis when it is falling in every rankings year by year and got bronze in the TEF recently? Like surely all of these statistics mean something
(edited 6 years ago)
World rankings (imo) are a better way to gauge how good your university is compared to others, both in the UK and across the world.
(edited 6 years ago)

Glasgow into the top 20.

Where is Manchester???
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending