The Student Room Group

Does having an organ scholarship for oxbridge increase your chances of getting an off

Please note that I'm going to apply for computer science, not music, which is possible with an organ scholarship
Reply 1
Original post by mark252623
Please note that I'm going to apply for computer science, not music, which is possible with an organ scholarship

Not really:

"Please note that the Colleges will not continue to consider your application for an award if they judge that you are below the appropriate academic standard for normal admission'

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/music-awards/organ-scholarships/apply

And Oxford says similarly: "Organ scholarship candidates for most subjects are given full academic assessment in September. You should expect to face the same tests and interviews as candidates in the December admissions process and to be assessed as rigorously.*"

Except I guess you have two chances rather than one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
If you get an organ scholarship, you are most likely applying for music and if both of these apply, you would most probably be considered good enough to get an offer anyway. I do not know when the scholarships themselves are given out, but it wouldn't make much sense to give someone a scholarship with knowledge of them being rejected. But I'm not a music student so don't know exactly.

edit: just saw you said you're applying for compsci :tongue: In which case, it shouldn't affect your compsci application. The department will only care about your computer science abilities, not the extra ways you can benefit the university.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
I understand this, however, there are probably a lot more people up to oxbridge standard than actually get in. So if theyre just making sure you're up to that standard, surely this is an advantage?
I understand this, however, there are probably a lot more people up to oxbridge standard than actually get in. So if theyre just making sure you're up to that standard, surely this is an advantage?

If you're not good enough academically, you won't get in. I've known Oxford colleges go with being down one organ scholar for a whole academic year, rather than taking someone deemed substandard :yes:
Reply 5

If you want to study CompSci apply.
If you also want to be an Organ Scholar, then do that too.

Then let the professionals assess your application(s). There's no point trying to doubleguess the process.
Original post by Doonesbury
Not really:

"Please note that the Colleges will not continue to consider your application for an award if they judge that you are below the appropriate academic standard for normal admission'

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/music-awards/organ-scholarships/apply

And Oxford says similarly: "Organ scholarship candidates for most subjects are given full academic assessment in September. You should expect to face the same tests and interviews as candidates in the December admissions process and to be assessed as rigorously.*"

Except I guess you have two chances rather than one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford will not be accepting Organ Scholarship applications for Computer Science or Computer Science & Philosophy from next year. We believe it is fairer to all candidates to consider them as a single field in December.

Gavin
Reply 7
Original post by gavinlowe
Oxford will not be accepting Organ Scholarship applications for Computer Science or Computer Science & Philosophy from next year. We believe it is fairer to all candidates to consider them as a single field in December.

Gavin

Thanks Gavin! Does that apply to 2018 entry?
Original post by Doonesbury
Thanks Gavin! Does that apply to 2018 entry?

No, we would have accepted applications this year. But the deadline for organ scholarship applications is now passed (and we received no applications for Computer Science).

Gavin
Reply 9

Gavin

What?!
Where can I see evidence for this?
Is this all Colleges?!
No, we would have accepted applications this year. But the deadline for organ scholarship applications is now passed (and we received no applications for Computer Science).

Gavin

I'm so confused?!
Colleges accept organ scholarships for courses as demanding as even MEDICINE....

Gavin

But I am afraid it does not seem fairer to the other departments or to the colleges for one department to make a unilateral decision.
Reply 12
What?!
Where can I see evidence for this?
Is this all Colleges?!

Gavin is a CompSci Professor at Oxford, and Admissions Coordinator at St Catz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Gavin

Also - what about computer science and maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending