username3541000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, so I have a question about my A-Levels. I am currently in Year 11 and in less than a month's time I have to submit my A- level options. I really enjoy business and languages at school so I have been thinking of doing an International Business degree at my local Uni with a language as they offer to do a year abroad too which interests me. However, I am worried about which A-Levels to choose. Since I want to do a business course, I assume it would be logical to take a Business A - Level but as I've been reading through the forums many many people have said that Business isn't always preferred by universities?? I will most likely take maths as well as a foreign language . Does anyone have any suggestions on any other a-levels that'd be helpful or any ideas on the ones I am considering?

Extra question about Uni: The university I'm considering has an option to take TWO languages with an international business degree. Luckily languages come naturally to me so I learn them easily and I am already fluent in Spanish as well since my parents aren't English. For anyone who has perhaps taken two languages with a course, would you recommend it? For example, should I take Spanish as well as another foreign language I am studying? I love languages but I'm not sure if taking two would be biting off more than I can chew or if it's even advisable since I don't know if it's worth it in the long run as I could be choosing other electives and taking two languages does not allow me to do this.

I apologise for the ridiculous amount of writing and would appreciate any answers.
Laura
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Angxla
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe business, economics, maths and a language?
Fonzworth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Angxla)
Maybe business, economics, maths and a language?
Apparently some universities count Business and Economics as 1 A-Level. Not sure if this has changed
metaphoricalworm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fonzworth)
Apparently some universities count Business and Economics as 1 A-Level. Not sure if this has changed
It hasn't changed. It is a bad idea to take both.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Economics is usually preferred to Business, for both Economics and Business courses - however it is rarely required for either. Any other subject would suffice, although if you intend to pursue international business as a degree both a language and maths would be useful, as you intend to take.

Some potentially useful or relevant subjects could include History, which is generally considered one of the best subjects to prepare for university level study in non-STEM subjects, Geography, which has content on development and demography which is relevant from an international business perspective, Government & Politics, due to the fact businesses must comply with relevant local and international legislation (although G&P focuses more on British politics, the broad format and often aspects of UK legislation have been adopted by to some extent by many former Commonwealth countries). One of these subjects or Economics will probably be the most relevant/useful (Economics in particular, as it fits into your interests as well as being considered good academic preparation for degree level study).

English Literature (and Language, optionally) is, like History, generally considered good academic preparation for further study (and the joint Lit/Lang course will help develop your written and verbal communication skills more, which is of course very relevant to business). Philosophy, Law, RS, and the Classics suite are all suitable academic preparation for university and while not directly related, may pique your interest. Science subjects are well regarded and while not directly relevant, may give some small degree of insight into business management in STEM sectors. Further Maths may be useful for some very competitive Economics or Finance related course, but would probably be advisable to take as a 4th option rather than as one of three, as some universities do not feel double maths + one other provides suitable academic breadth to prepare for university study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads