The Student Room Group

Computer Science, Information System or Computational Biology

Which of the three majors Computer Science, Information System, Computational Biology should I choose? I've got A's on three sciences and one a star in maths.(A level)
Original post by Xin15
Which of the three majors Computer Science, Information System, Computational Biology should I choose? I've got A's on three sciences and one a star in maths.(A level)

have you looked at the different modules available for the three courses? that should help you make a decision.
If you want to go fully indepth on the theoretical side of computer systems go Computer Science, if you want to go less theoretical and study the social aspects of computing with a solid understanding of the basic concepts of computing then go information systems, sorry I have no idea on computational Biology.
Original post by Xin15

This seems entirely subjective, and not something we can necessarily advise on which should be your preference.

As above, Computing Science tends to be a very in depth exploration of the theoretical side of computing. Programming paradigms, networking, communications, security, and focuses on practical programming experience.

Information Systems tends to be a little more focused on data storage and representation (this is a crossover into Computing Science). It tends to focus slightly less on practical programming experience, although this can vary on course and particular university.

Computational Biology strikes me as something entirely different. I have some knowledge of Computational Neuroscience, so assume there will be some crossover. Combining computing with other natural sciences is a very definite choice - so you'd have to know that it's something you're genuinely interested in. It's very specific.

The forums can't really advise you based on a post alone, but your best bet is to really look at the courses you're interested in and seek advice from a careers adviser, or guidance teacher who can perhaps point you in the right direction?

Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
have you looked at the different modules available for the three courses? that should help you make a decision.

Hmm I'll try.
Reply 5
Original post by loooopppyyy
If you want to go fully indepth on the theoretical side of computer systems go Computer Science, if you want to go less theoretical and study the social aspects of computing with a solid understanding of the basic concepts of computing then go information systems, sorry I have no idea on computational Biology.

Wow alright!
Reply 6
Original post by Revolver72
This seems entirely subjective, and not something we can necessarily advise on which should be your preference.

As above, Computing Science tends to be a very in depth exploration of the theoretical side of computing. Programming paradigms, networking, communications, security, and focuses on practical programming experience.

Information Systems tends to be a little more focused on data storage and representation (this is a crossover into Computing Science). It tends to focus slightly less on practical programming experience, although this can vary on course and particular university.

Computational Biology strikes me as something entirely different. I have some knowledge of Computational Neuroscience, so assume there will be some crossover. Combining computing with other natural sciences is a very definite choice - so you'd have to know that it's something you're genuinely interested in. It's very specific.

The forums can't really advise you based on a post alone, but your best bet is to really look at the courses you're interested in and seek advice from a careers adviser, or guidance teacher who can perhaps point you in the right direction?

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Thanks with such information! I think I'll go for Comp Sc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending