The Student Room Group

M2 or S1?

I plan on studying electrical engineering in uni and my choosen unis don’t specify they want M2 , I did M1 last year and only got a C and don’t think I can do better,am I better off doing S1 cause I’m worried M2 is too hard.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

S1 < Anything
Reply 2
S1 is a lot easier than M2(Not easy by any means but certainly easier than M2), i don't think there's been a single year without M2 being an absolute horror story.
S1 is an AS module whereas M2 an A2 module. You cannot complete the second year with an AS module
Reply 4
Original post by Yaboi
S1 is a lot easier than M2(Not easy by any means but certainly easier than M2), i don't think there's been a single year without M2 being an absolute horror story.

I’ve been finding M2 pretty hard and we’ve just started it so I think I’ll take your advice to go for S1, obviously not easy but seems the better option.
Reply 5
Original post by Luke Collinson
S1 is an AS module whereas M2 an A2 module. You cannot complete the second year with an AS module

In my college it’s pretty normal for people do do S1 and M1 instead or m1 m2 or s1 s2 so I’m pretty sure it counts as a full a level still but I’ll ask my teachers anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
S1 < Anything

So your saying s1 is easier then all the other math units ?
Original post by Muizzamim
In my college it’s pretty normal for people do do S1 and M1 instead or m1 m2 or s1 s2 so I’m pretty sure it counts as a full a level still but I’ll ask my teachers anyway.

What exam board are you doing?
So your saying s1 is easier then all the other math units ?

Not at all, I am saying anything is better than S1. M2 is easier than S1 because once you get the hang of it, you can do it, whereas with S1 you need to constantly revise the content and know definitions etc...
Reply 9

This is incorrect.
Original post by Notnek
This is incorrect.

It is correct. See here http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/75811-specification.pdf. The MEI syllabus, and edexcel, both state that there're AS and A2 modules. Can can't get an A2 qualification with an AS module.
Reply 11
It is correct. See here http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/75811-specification.pdf. The MEI syllabus, and edexcel, both state that there're AS and A2 modules. Can can't get an A2 qualification with an AS module.

Read page 23 (section 4.3.2) of the OCR spec you linked.
Reply 12
What exam board are you doing?

WJEC
Original post by Notnek
As I said, you can't do an A2 without the accompanying AS module. Notice the comma and semicolon placement in the linked file.
Reply 14
Original post by Notnek

Thanks for putting my worries to ease there 😂
Reply 15
As I said, you can't do an A2 without the accompanying AS module. Notice the comma and semicolon placement in the linked file.

Look towards the right side of page and it says ; m1, S1 ;
You can't do the following combination:
C1 (AS), C2 (AS), M1 (AS), C3 (A2), C4 (A2), S1 (AS).
Reply 17

Yes you can and thousands of students do. Page 23 of that document clearly shows this.

Please stop spreading false information.

Yes, you can. A lot of colleges, including mine, do this combo.
Reply 19
I plan on studying electrical engineering in uni and my choosen unis don’t specify they want M2 , I did M2 last year and only got a C and don’t think I can do better,am I better off doing S1 cause I’m worried M2 is too hard.

It's a hard decision. I recommend trying a few chapters of S1 and see how you find them. Since you've already learnt M2, you may find that in a year you can improve a lot by doing loads of questions. Whereas for S1 you will have to learn it all from scratch and won't have as much time to practice as many questions.

Then on the other hand, students on average will say that S1 is easier...

Quick Reply

Latest