The Student Room Group

Unemployed & Depressed AF. No Longer A Man, Just A Waste

Hi,

So basically, a few months ago - my life was going well. I was so happy in life - like literally I was proud to call myself a grown man. I was working for a top company, was making decent money (sure it wasn't top pay) but it came with happiness and my life was busy. I enjoyed the working life, wearing a nice suit and tie to work everyday - having the good banter with my coworkers.

However, all good things come to an end - and well I soon became redundant and unemployed. This was due to the fact that I was only there on a contract and I planned to apply for other places whilst I was there.

Now, I am unemployed and looking for jobs. I have a First Class degree and some experience. Been putting so many applications and all I have been getting is rejections and false hopes! I've been getting a bit unhealthy and my parents have been nagging and annoying me everyday. I don't blame them BUT IT IS NOT MY FAULT! I have been applying every ****ing day and yet no ****er wants me. I've been getting depressed and now I smoke a bit of weed. The thing is, I was always against it and recently when people found out, they were disappointed in me. I am worried people are going to judge me.

Unemployment is killing me. No more friends and happiness.
Make a start. That's all any of us can do. Dump the weed, a little bit at a time if necessary. Don't expect everything to come together today or tomorrow or this week. One step at a time. Do something you enjoy every day, something different each day. Distract yourself with all life has to offer. You are in a fantastic position with your first class degree - believe in yourself and know things will change soon. It's a cliche but some of our biggest, most lifelong learning curves will come from those times when we struggle; think of this as an enforced learning holiday.
Reply 2
Original post by ironandbeer2
Make a start. That's all any of us can do. Dump the weed, a little bit at a time if necessary. Don't expect everything to come together today or tomorrow or this week. One step at a time. Do something you enjoy every day, something different each day. Distract yourself with all life has to offer. You are in a fantastic position with your first class degree - believe in yourself and know things will change soon. It's a cliche but some of our biggest, most lifelong learning curves will come from those times when we struggle; think of this as an enforced learning holiday.

This is all easier said than done my friend! I was in this position a year ago, except I wasn't drinking or smoking. That First Class degree is a waste in this country - I was born here but I am starting to look abroad. How do you know I am in a fantastic position? Smoking weed every week, drinking every week and agencies taking the piss is a fantastic position to be in?

Sorry, but this is what I am facing. Maybe I am being too harsh to you or to myself - it's just that people keep annoying me on the employment thing
Original post by th1slife
This is all easier said than done my friend! I was in this position a year ago, except I wasn't drinking or smoking. That First Class degree is a waste in this country - I was born here but I am starting to look abroad. How do you know I am in a fantastic position? Smoking weed every week, drinking every week and agencies taking the piss is a fantastic position to be in?

Sorry, but this is what I am facing. Maybe I am being too harsh to you or to myself - it's just that people keep annoying me on the employment thing

Sorry I wasn't trying to be lecturing or patronising, just encouraging. I wouldn't agree any degree is a waste; you can probably do better than relying on agencies tbh. You need to get out there and make the jobhunt a full time job keep knocking the door literally everywhere that vaguely interests you and make contacts.
Reply 4
Original post by ironandbeer2
Sorry I wasn't trying to be lecturing or patronising, just encouraging. I wouldn't agree any degree is a waste; you can probably do better than relying on agencies tbh. You need to get out there and make the jobhunt a full time job keep knocking the door literally everywhere that vaguely interests you and make contacts.

Sorry, yeah I've been working on my LinkedIn and literally been searching everywhere for jobs. I got to the final stage of an assessment centre earlier this month - but the place wasn't for me! I hated it there, and yeah sure I got rejected a few days later.

I believe a degree is a waste, as I have seen people with apprenticeships working at my former workplace. No one appreciates my degree, not even I care about it anymore. This is how you know I am depressed, as I have no faith in myself
retrain then get an apprenticeship.
Reply 6
Original post by paulbarlow
retrain then get an apprenticeship.

???

Mate, I've got a degree. Retrain for what and get an apprenticeship for what? I'm too old for that now...
Reply 7
I will never be able to fully understand what you are going through as we are not the same person. But i have been through depression before and i became very suicidal and every time i tried to kill myself, it never worked. the main way in which i came out of depression was by thinking about my future in the most optimistic way. i will go to a good university next year, finish my degree, get a good job and do the things that i have always wanted to do. the main thing being starting a charity to help people. and even though going to university and finishing my degree was something i thought i could die without doing, i knew that i couldn't die until i have helped people who are struggling so much in life whether its their identity or poverty etc....

so why don't you try that. Think of something that you feel you have to accomplish, something which you know will make you happy. and by working towards that goal, you will become happy because you are doing something you love and you will automatically start taking care of yourself more and it may help you get out of your depression

Hi,

So basically, a few months ago - my life was going well. I was so happy in life - like literally I was proud to call myself a grown man. I was working for a top company, was making decent money (sure it wasn't top pay) but it came with happiness and my life was busy. I enjoyed the working life, wearing a nice suit and tie to work everyday - having the good banter with my coworkers.

However, all good things come to an end - and well I soon became redundant and unemployed. This was due to the fact that I was only there on a contract and I planned to apply for other places whilst I was there.

Now, I am unemployed and looking for jobs. I have a First Class degree and some experience. Been putting so many applications and all I have been getting is rejections and false hopes! I've been getting a bit unhealthy and my parents have been nagging and annoying me everyday. I don't blame them BUT IT IS NOT MY FAULT! I have been applying every ****ing day and yet no ****er wants me. I've been getting depressed and now I smoke a bit of weed. The thing is, I was always against it and recently when people found out, they were disappointed in me. I am worried people are going to judge me.

(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,

Have you thought about starting your own business?
You have a degree, so you can try starting one in that field
Reply 9
Original post by Unnamed User
Have you thought about starting your own business?
You have a degree, so you can try starting one in that field

Yeah, I've always wanted to start a business as it runs in my blood too :smile:

Thing is, I am in my early 20s but I don't have much working experience.
Yeah, I've always wanted to start a business as it runs in my blood too :smile:

Thing is, I am in my early 20s but I don't have much working experience.

That's the beauty of business though. You can run it however you want, and don't need work experience. :biggrin:
You can just start a bit by bit and work your way up.
A lot of people who do business start extremely early, such as Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs etc.
What's your degree in? And what field where you working in before? You could look for jobs in a different field; I suggest technology. Take a coding course, get some more work experience and look for jobs in software development.

This post makes me want to quit my degree and do an apprenticeship. My university has a pretty decent careers service; if it didn't I'd be out like a shot, no matter how good the teaching is. It might not be too late for you to do an apprenticeship, though the fact that you already have a degree goes against you. At the very least you should consider retraining. The fact that you've got a good degree doesn't increase your chances; everyone these days has one. Work experience is the way forward. You can never have too much of it. I hope you have some savings to tide you over while you're training/seeking work. :smile:
There are many others like you- educated degree holders struggling with unemployment, nagging parents and subsequent depression in their early 20's. I personally know many people who have experienced something similar.
There's even a Reddit page called the 'Lost Generation' dedicated to this endemic. It's quickly becoming the quintessential life experience of millennials.

I'm sorry that there is not much advice I can offer. I hope you find some sort of comfort knowing that you're apart of a generational cohort that is experiencing something similar and that there isn't anything wrong with you as an individual, that has lead to this experience.

Perhaps you should spend more time on drafting applications instead of sending them out for as many roles as possible? Just keep applying and eventually you will hear back from someone. Or perhaps think about applying for a masters (Student Finance England now offer loans for post-grad study)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by queenofswords
There are many others like you- educated degree holders struggling with unemployment, nagging parents and subsequent depression in their early 20's. I personally know many people who have experienced something similar.
There's even a Reddit page called the 'Lost Generation' dedicated to this endemic. It's quickly becoming the quintessential life experience of millennials.

I'm sorry that there is not much advice I can offer. I hope you find some sort of comfort knowing that you're apart of a generational cohort that is experiencing something similar and that there isn't anything wrong with you as an individual, that has lead to this experience.

Perhaps you should spend more time on drafting applications instead of sending them out for as many roles as possible? Just keep applying and eventually you will hear back from someone. Or perhaps think about applying for a masters (Student Finance England now offer loans for post-grad study)

I actually have a job but with the rip off rents and having grown up in London I simply can’t justify moving out for independence. I don’t think I value it at £700 a month when my take home is maybe £17k a year, any advice?
This was the situation I found myself in last year so I know how you're feeling.

If you aren't getting any interviews at all it suggests you aren't doing something right in the application stage.

- Get your CV checked, and then checked again. Tailor it to the job you're applying for, don't send a generic one.
- Make sure the job is something you're interested in, not just "it's a job".
- Make sure you aren't pricing yourself out of the market e.g salary expectations.
- Consider a new career path or relocation. If you've got family in other cities, look for work there too.
Original post by zeldusone
I actually have a job but with the rip off rents and having grown up in London I simply can’t justify moving out for independence. I don’t think I value it at £700 a month when my take home is maybe £17k a year, any advice?

Same actually, I have a well paid government job but I cannot afford to move out.

I have spoken to many graduates who are currently in their first jobs. Most of them are still living under their parents roof. There is no shame tbh, everyone's doing it. Again, it's a generational thing that defines millennials.

Only advice I can give is to save up, focus on developing your career and increasing your salary and move out in your late 20's/ early 30's when you can afford it. No point in wasting 700 on rent.
Original post by queenofswords
Same actually, I have a well paid government job but I cannot afford to move out.

I have spoken to many graduates who are currently in their first jobs. Most of them are still living under their parents roof. There is no shame tbh, everyone's doing it. Again, it's a generational thing that defines millennials.

Only advice I can give is to save up, focus on developing your career and increasing your salary and move out in your late 20's/ early 30's when you can afford it. No point in wasting 700 on rent.

Thanks. I’m struggling to even make many friends now that I have work but I’m slowly starting to get more active and will hopefully try and learn a language next year and join a five a side team.

I think you’re right. I’m already up to £10k and should be on a pretty good salary in two years as I’m training to be a chartered accountant but even then, hard to find a gf when you’re still living at home. I do know of many young people in London who rent but I think they are of well off backgrounds and probably don’t need to worry much about saving for a deposit. That’s more of an issue for millennials from ordinary middle/lower middle class families
my mate did an apprenticeship in his early 30s. if your first is not getting you work then do anything. its better than getting depressed and drunk. what skills do you have beyond essay writing . do a practical masters. volunteer just get out and do something your not stupid. you have the learning just not the experience pity your degree did not offer work experience
Apprenticeship is just a word. Don't be put off if you see one you fancy - they are taking off big time for graduate type entry. The reason for this is a change in the funding for apprenticeships. Companies over a certain size have to pay a percentage of their payroll costs into a government fund from which they can reclaim the cost of training for trainees who fit the parameters of an apprentice scheme. As many companies wouldn't normally have spent money in that way they, in effect have a pot of free training money.

This is a very recent change - the rules are not yet settled and companies (and training providers) are learning how to use the funds. Lots of schemes now have decent salaries and opportunities. They are grad schemes under a different guise - but with a day a week at college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending