The Student Room Group

I am Sri Lankan. Ask me anything you want to know?

im quite bored, so thought i might do this. you can ask anything you fancy asking :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizaeli
im quite bored, so thought i might do this. you can ask anything you fancy asking :smile:

Favourite food?

How good is your Tamil? How often do you bump into other Tamil people?

What do you think of the weather there?
Reply 2
Original post by lizaeli

You Tamil? Love them Tamil mandems still, those lot are chill. Especially their rents who own corner shops and petrol stations.

Sri Lankans in general are very hardworking
Reply 3
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Favourite food?

How good is your Tamil? How often do you bump into other Tamil people?

What do you think of the weather there?

I don't know the weather as I was born and raised in england (whoop whoop) the last time i went to sri lanka was about 12 years ago because a couple years later (around 2008) the sri lankan civil war reached its peak. And I'm still quite scared to go back.

My tamil is pretty good but I'm not fluent. I went to tamil school every saturday for about 5-6 hours (it was pretty fun). i went from when i was 5- 16. then a levels happened. since leaving the school i have kinds forgotten how to write but know basic stuff like the alphabet and how to write my name.

the area i live in is quite a white area and the majority of tamil speaking people here are indian tamils. but when i used to live in Hayes it was sort of common to keep bumping into people.

sorry about spelling , I'm feeling too lazy right now to change it
Reply 4
Original post by th1slife
You Tamil? Love them Tamil mandems still, those lot are chill. Especially their rents who own corner shops and petrol stations.

Sri Lankans in general are very hardworking

yes i am tamil

love you too :smile:.

also thank you, sri lankans do tend to be hard working due to the fact that most sri lankans tamils grew up in poverty so when they moved to the UK they work hard to earn money as they usually send money back to their relatives in Sri lanka
Reply 5
One also needs to know Sri Lanka isn't populated by just Tamil people
Reply 6
Original post by lizaeli
yes i am tamil

love you too :smile:.

also thank you, sri lankans do tend to be hard working due to the fact that most sri lankans tamils grew up in poverty so when they moved to the UK they work hard to earn money as they usually send money back to their relatives in Sri lanka

Fair play mate.

So did you go uni?
Reply 7
Fair play mate.

So did you go uni?

I'm currently in year 13
What you studying ?
Reply 9
Original post by storm95
One also needs to know Sri Lanka isn't populated by just Tamil people

yeah that's very much true. it can get quite annoying when people assume things but then the may not have meant it intentionally. people usually assume things as that is what they mostly associate with that. for example most people may associate sri lankans with being tamils.

i find it annoying when people refer to east asians as asians because other asians do exists.(not just in that context) i don't have anything against east asians, they are lovely people. but i do understand where you are coming from
Original post by lizaeli
yeah that's very much true. it can get quite annoying when people assume things but then the may not have meant it intentionally. people usually assume things as that is what they mostly associate with that. for example most people may associate sri lankans with being tamils.

i find it annoying when people refer to east asians as asians because other asians do exists.(not just in that context) i don't have anything against east asians, they are lovely people. but i do understand where you are coming from

I've always known that Sri Lanka consisted of Tamil's and Sinhalese's. There was a civil war there and what not
Reply 11
I've always known that Sri Lanka consisted of Tamil's and Sinhalese's. There was a civil war there and what not

yh. its okay, I'm not holding anything against you and i hope that storm95 doesn't either. an innocent mistake :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by nisha.sri
What you studying ?

I'm currently doing biology, maths and classical civilisation. i want to do either Classics and Ancient History or History at university. might do a joint honours with history and ancient history. what about you??
Original post by lizaeli
I'm currently doing biology, maths and classical civilisation. i want to do either Classics and Ancient History or History at university. might do a joint honours with history and ancient history. what about you??

Nice :smile: i do biology,chem and maths :smile: I want to do medicine at uni or biomedicine
Original post by lizaeli
yh. its okay, I'm not holding anything against you and i hope that storm95 doesn't either. an innocent mistake :smile:

No No, I wasn't aiming at anyone I was just saying. :P
Reply 15
Original post by storm95
No No, I wasn't aiming at anyone I was just saying. :P

sorry, i wasn't accusing you. this is one of the main things i hate about messages. you can't express feelings when saying something
Are most SL Tamils in the UK Hindu or Christian? How common are inter'marriages between them?
Sri lankan myself ever been to anaradhapura or kataragama?
Reply 18
Original post by Ravenous
Are most SL Tamils in the UK Hindu or Christian? How common are inter'marriages between them?

I'm not 100% sure about that but most of my tamil friends are Hindu and only some of them are christians (including family friends). i have only been to a few weddings but i have been to any intermarriage weddings. when a christian and hindu marry they usually have both religions incorporated. but i'm not sure about that
Original post by lizaeli
I don't know the weather as I was born and raised in england (whoop whoop) the last time i went to sri lanka was about 12 years ago because a couple years later (around 2008) the sri lankan civil war reached its peak. And I'm still quite scared to go back.

My tamil is pretty good but I'm not fluent. I went to tamil school every saturday for about 5-6 hours (it was pretty fun). i went from when i was 5- 16. then a levels happened. since leaving the school i have kinds forgotten how to write but know basic stuff like the alphabet and how to write my name.

the area i live in is quite a white area and the majority of tamil speaking people here are indian tamils. but when i used to live in Hayes it was sort of common to keep bumping into people.

sorry about spelling , I'm feeling too lazy right now to change it

You used to live in hayes?! I live in hayes! Bet we even went to the same tamil school 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending