The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Official 2018 University of Bristol Applicants + freshers Thread!

Hey! I didn't see a thread up yet, so I thought we should have one! Who else is applying to Bristol for entry next year? :woo:

This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process

Name: Amelia
Course: Neuroscience BSc
Predicted grades: This is a little different for me as I'm studying an Access to HE course, but I'm aiming for 45 Distinctions!
Also applying at: KCL, Cardiff and Sussex.

Have you been to an open day yet? The labs for biosciences look so good. They're pretty high up, so you can see out over the campus into the town :moon:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who went to the Open Days?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I'm considering applying to Bristol, but am not sure. There's so many good uni's out there :smile:. What course are you interested in?

(I haven't visited an open day since I'm not from the UK, and just flying there and back for one uni is a bit too much haha)
Uni of Bristol Open Day film :http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/watch/

General film about the Uni : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8

'Tourist' film about the city : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
Bristol is definitely going to be on the 5 I'm applying to. The open day was fantastic!

My course choice is economics and management, just need to get AAA :smile:
So, who is planning to go to the Open Day on Sept 9 ?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
So, who is planning to go to the Open Day on Sept 9 ?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/

i'm going to this open day! i'm looking at chemical physics you?
Hi everyone, I'm probably going to apply for Sociology and Politics :smile:
Hey @AmeliaLost

Funnily enough, I am doing Neuroscience at Bristol and also did an Access to HE course, if you have any questions feel free to ask. :smile:. Good luck, Access courses are great fun!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Paulington
Hey @AmeliaLost

Funnily enough, I am doing Neuroscience at Bristol and also did an Access to HE course, if you have any questions feel free to ask. :smile:. Good luck, Access courses are great fun!

Awesome, thanks! What year are you in at Bristol?
Original post by AmeliaLost
Awesome, thanks! What year are you in at Bristol?

This is my first year, over the moon to be going! What subjects have you chosen to study for your Access course? I did Maths, Medical Physics and Chemistry at City of Bristol College.
Original post by Paulington
This is my first year, over the moon to be going! What subjects have you chosen to study for your Access course? I did Maths, Medical Physics and Chemistry at City of Bristol College.

Ahh awesome! I can imagine! Are you in halls this year then?

I'm doing maths and chemistry too, but biology rather than medical physics which isn't offered at my college. That sounds super interesting though - is it modules on imaging and similar stuff?
Original post by AmeliaLost
Ahh awesome! I can imagine! Are you in halls this year then?

I'm doing maths and chemistry too, but biology rather than medical physics which isn't offered at my college. That sounds super interesting though - is it modules on imaging and similar stuff?

Ah no, I've lived in Bristol my whole life so staying in the house I am in. No point moving when I'm so close already.

Maths and Chemistry are super fun, it starts off relatively slowly especially if you have a bit of prior knowledge, even defining things like prime numbers/basic algebra but once you start moving on you get into quite complex mathematics, delving deep into integration/differentiation, related rates of change, a bit of trig and some complex algebra.

Same for Chemistry, slow start to "build people up" but really ramps up. The good part is that most modules have around 6-9 different grade descriptors, so even if you don't manage a Distinction in your exam, you can still get an "overall" Distinction for your unit by acing your essays/other tested assignments.

Yep! We did modules on medical imaging, the uses and hazards of standard imaging, how they work, what they are used for, radiation from decay and lots more. We did do some regular physics but always tied in to a medical usage, such as focal points of lenses and myopia.

Not sure about your College, but here we had a total of 9 credits at level 2, they were the "introduction" modules in each class, then 51 credits at level 3 of which 45 were graded. :smile:.
Name: Mantha
Course: International Relations
Predicted grades: A*AB
Also applying at: Leeds, Manchester, Exeter, Birmingham
Name: Joe
Course: Economics
Predicted grades: AAAA - A*AAA
Others: Birmingham, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham and possibly York
Name: Suzanna
Course: English BA
Predicted grades: A*A*A
Also applying at: UCL, KCL, Edinburgh and Surrey

I visited Bristol a few weeks ago and really liked it!
Name: Dreamliner
Course: Social Policy
Predicted Grades: Not Disclosing.
Also Applying at:SOAS,Exeter,KCL,Newcastle, Buckingham (non-UCAS)
Original post by Qmwnebrv
I had an offer of AAA for international relations and got AAB. They rejected me on results but do you think they’ll let me in. With my gap year i’m working at John Lewis so getting lots of skills amd keeping reading about the subject!

Only if you resit your A levels, otherwise it'll be a straight rejection. Look at 'Politics and Sociology' - that has a lower entry requirement.
Original post by returnmigrant
Only if you resit your A levels, otherwise it'll be a straight rejection. Look at 'Politics and Sociology' - that has a lower entry requirement.

I have been, might apply for that but its a shame because pol and ir has more choice in modules
Name: Sam
Course: Economics and Management
Predicted grades: A*A*A (and A in fm AS)
Also Applying: Oxford, KCL, Warwick, Durham

Bristol/Warwick are actually my first choices. On the open days I much preferred the vibes to Oxford!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending