The Student Room Group

Being out of someone's league

I know this is all superficial but when you're talking online it usually is... Obviously the photos I upload are of me in good angles and one of two obvious filters because it was funny. Most of the time I don't look as good as I do in the pictures.
So how do you know if you're talking to someone in your league or out of your league? And if you've met up in real life and the person didn't look how you expected what did you do?

Scroll to see replies

Hey!
If it's over the internet, you are in everyone's league. Honestly they've done the same thing as you, they've picked the best of the best to make them-self look "appetizing" to strangers. Focus on personality when talking over the internet, because they probably don't look like they do in the pics. Obviously, if it's some extremely hot, smart, funny, sporty person, beware, because they do exist, but most of the time, they don't need online dating or anything like that because their friend from yoga knows someone from their netball team who likes the same Swedish metal they like and bam, relationship.
My main advice is this:
1. You're all trying online dating, therefore it's a level playing field.
2. Be cautious, people might not be who they say they are.
3. Post your best self, but also post you, not who you want to be.
Good luck! xx
Reply 2
Original post by LexiTheGhost
Hey!
If it's over the internet, you are in everyone's league. Honestly they've done the same thing as you, they've picked the best of the best to make them-self look "appetizing" to strangers. Focus on personality when talking over the internet, because they probably don't look like they do in the pics. Obviously, if it's some extremely hot, smart, funny, sporty person, beware, because they do exist, but most of the time, they don't need online dating or anything like that because their friend from yoga knows someone from their netball team who likes the same Swedish metal they like and bam, relationship.
My main advice is this:
1. You're all trying online dating, therefore it's a level playing field.
2. Be cautious, people might not be who they say they are.
3. Post your best self, but also post you, not who you want to be.
Good luck! xx

Thanks :smile: I think I'm scared about it because I'm a girl and guys can get quite superficial when it comes to looks, even if they're not shallow.
You already lost if your putting people into leagues.
If anything you should think you're out of their league
Reply 4
Message them anyway.
God, I know exactly what you mean. Just cuz they have dicks, doesn't mean they have to be them. Ugh!
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks :smile: I think I'm scared about it because I'm a girl and guys can get quite superficial when it comes to looks, even if they're not shallow.
Reply 6
I know this is all superficial but when you're talking online it usually is... Obviously the photos I upload are of me in good angles and one of two obvious filters because it was funny. Most of the time I don't look as good as I do in the pictures.
So how do you know if you're talking to someone in your league or out of your league? And if you've met up in real life and the person didn't look how you expected what did you do?

Put more realstic photo's then.

I once went on a date with a girl who had only 1 picture in her profile. Idk she was about a 7 .....when I got to the date I actually couldn't recognise her, and the girl text me that i looked right at her and walked off, and i said wtf i didn't look right at you, and she kept telling me I did and that I didn't like the way she looked. Eventually i couldn't recognise her so told her to just come upto me....., when i saw her ...she was like a 3

She had somehow produced the myspace angle of the century in her profile pic and gone up literally 4 points..

I wasn't attracted her,
ontop of that personality wise she was the most awkward person I had ever met.

I ended up completely blanking her after the date.

Do not deceive people with your pics
don't masquerade yourself as an Iphone7 ...if your're really an Iphone3 ...the guy won't be impressed.............
Original post by ANM775

I once went on a date with a girl who had only 1 picture in her profile. Idk she was about a 7 .....when I got to the date I actually couldn't recognise her, and the girl text me that i looked right at her and walked off, and i said wtf i didn't look right at you, and she kept telling me I did and that I didn't like the way she looked. Eventually i couldn't recognise her so told her to just come upto me....., when i saw her ...she was like a 3

She had somehow produced the myspace angle of the century in her profile pic and gone up literally 4 points..

I wasn't attracted her,

don't masquerade yourself as an Iphone7 ...if your're really an Iphone3 ...the guy won't be impressed.............

Do you honestly have a points system for how attractive you find someone and refer to women as a "7" or a "3"?
Reply 8
I'd date girls below my league if such a league existed, but it doesn't.
Reply 9
Original post by TrelaiBoy
Do you honestly have a points system for how attractive you find someone and refer to women as a "7" or a "3"?

I needed to get across the level of deception she had used in her pics and using numerical ratings was the simplest way
I'm not really sure how to respond to that, but okay I will add one more normal pic in the mix. I like my filter pics but I have a variety.
I know leagues don't exist but what I'm saying is I don't want to be a disappointment when we meet in person. Real life me looks worse than photo me and I don't want drinks with a guy who realises he's made a mistake.
This is going completely away from my main question but is awkwardness a turn off?

I know to a degree it is but there's loads of awkward people out there, especially on a first date with a stranger.

Original post by ANM775

I wasn't attracted her,

Reply 12
This is going completely away from my main question but is awkwardness a turn off?

I know to a degree it is but there's loads of awkward people out there, especially on a first date with a stranger.

That girl was the most awkward person I had EVER met.

She was so awkward that she came off as hostile at the start of the date [giving one word answers and couldn't look me in the eye, and her tone was bad as well] , I actually thought she didn't like me ....but literally 2 minutes after parting ways she was texting me so she must of liked me ..

and personally I do find awkwardness somewhat of a turn off, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

I wouldn't say it was an absolute deal breaker though [providing it wasn't too bad], the girl mentioned above was an extreme example
Reply 13
Rule 1: Online Dating - People put there best pictures out there, the ones which they look the best in, your not really going to put an ugly/unflattering picture of yourself are you?

Rule 2: Catfish/ Fake Profiles

Rule 3: Before meeting them, go through a number of platforms, find out their full name, search on facebook/twitter/instagram and see if they match (might not be applicable to all as not everyone has social media), or go through snapchat and tell them to send you a photo of them right where they are now. - You will get a real picture of who they are. You can always block and delete them after.

Rule 4: Don't believe everything they say. Protect yourself. People lie about their age.

Rule 5: When meeting, ask them to explain what they are wearing and where to meet.

Rule 6: If a person is genuine, they won't have a problem with any of the above, because they have similar concerns about you, its understandable.

Rule 7: As your profile picture, I would say put something that paints you in a slightly different light. Only 1 photo, dont put up more. Why? because you will get weirdos looking at your pictures, it made me uncomfortable when I saw older men looking at my pictures. - Then if a conversation is initiated - the person will ask for another photo, which they must reciprocate - this is when you show a more authentic and flattering photo... & if they compliment, play it down a little.

Rule 8: Always meet in a public place, loads of people and let someone know where you are and when you plan to come home.

Can't think of anymore.
Reply 14
Original post by Salma26

Only 1 photo, dont put up more. Why? because you will get weirdos looking at your pictures, it made me uncomfortable when I saw older men looking at my pictures. - Then if a conversation is initiated - the person will ask for another photo, which they must reciprocate - this is when you show a more authentic and flattering photo... & if they compliment, play it down a little.

How old are you. An Adult. mid 20's?

why is an older man a weirdo for looking at your pics????
Reply 15
Because the app did not have a privacy setting - meant any member could click on me.

I deleted it, was not comfortable with the idea that really old men were looking at my profile/picture. These guys were old enough to be my dad.

Tbh, a young looking guy could be looking at my profile and it could be a catfish, you just never know.
When it comes to online dating, there is no "league" it's just something people do especially in today's world. You're trusting this stranger with your feelings unless you have met this person before in real life. Just focus on this person personality, it's better than real life. Enjoy while it last.
Reply 17
Original post by ANM775
How old are you. An Adult. mid 20's?

why is an older man a weirdo for looking at your pics????

App did not have a privacy setting for profile, all members could visit.

Men were old enough to be my dad.

Deleted app.
Leagues are a none functional dating concept and a useless methodology to follow. It’s far better to just go for who you’re actually attracted to and see who bites
Reply 19
Original post by Salma26
App did not have a privacy setting for profile, all members could visit.

Men were old enough to be my dad.

Deleted app.

you cannot blame them

you are an Adult female of reproductive age, more fertile than women in their 40's or 50's who are pretty much menopausal or almost there.

of course they're going to look.......

you forget, an organism's prime objective in nature is to reproduce

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending