The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

Hi , I wanted to know what subjects I should pick for A-Level if I was hoping to do either a Economics or Medicine degree.
Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Maybe Further Maths as an AS?
Original post by Fonzworth
Maybe Further Maths as an AS?

Is that possible? I thought you do all of A level maths in year 12 then further maths in year 13
I’m not too sure on how the system works for Further Maths so your probably right
Reply 4
I’m not too sure on how the system works for Further Maths so your probably right

I don’t think so...
Reply 5

Yeah I was think of that too
Reply 6

Yeah I was thinking of that too
Reply 7
biology chemistry and economics. Unless you want to apply to oxbridge or unis that require 3 sciences for medicine, then do maths as 3rd choice
Reply 8
Original post by allie.moe
biology chemistry and economics. Unless you want to apply to oxbridge or unis that require 3 sciences for medicine, then do maths as 3rd choice

I thought you had to do Further Maths to apply to oxbridge
(edited 6 years ago)
Economics
Maths is a MUST here, in order to be even a lil bit competitive, you should probably take Maths, the top of the top may take Further Maths, but only really if you're aiming for something like LSE, additionally, obviously, Economics is good.
Medicine
Just Biology and Chemistry really

Together, what would make you good for both would be something like:
-Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Economics
-Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry

In Further Maths, some schools may put you on Accelerated Maths, where you do AS and A2 Maths in 1 year, however this differs and depends, your school may teach both subjects in parallel.
Original post by Baebsae
I thought you had to do Further Maths to apply to oxbridge

nah either maths or further maths. Cant do both unless you do bio and chem (so basically 4 alevels). You could also do physics if you want to
Original post by Baebsae
Hi , I wanted to know what subjects I should pick for A-Level if I was hoping to do either a Economics or Medicine degree.

I would say do Chem, Bio and Maths. Because you can get into Medicine with those A-levels and I'm pretty sure you can get into economics as you don't need economics a-level to do economics at uni.
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 12
They are separate qualifications that you generally sit across both years simultaneously (or just one year for AS).

Idk how it works for other exam boards, but for edexcel the modules are essentially shared - that is, you can pick and choose (with some required modules) which ones you want to study for each qualification.

For example, I did a maths A Level with C1-4, D1 and M1 across Y12 and Y13. In Y13, I also decided to self teach a further maths AS Level, and I chose to take FP1, S1 and M2.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by AryanGh

Just a side note, medicine courses usually only need chemistry and don't strictly require biology, though I imagine it would still be useful to have.
Original post by Ed5
They are separate qualifications that you generally sit across both years simultaneously (or just one year for AS).

Idk how it works for other exam boards, but for edexcel the modules are essentially shared - that is, you can pick and choose (with some required modules) which ones you want to study for each qualification.

For example, I did a maths A Level with C1-4, D1 and M1 across Y12 and Y13. In Y13, I also decided to self teach a further maths AS Level, and I chose to take FP1, S1 and M2.

Ah right ok my bad
Reply 15
Original post by AryanGh
Economics
Maths is a MUST here, in order to be even a lil bit competitive, you should probably take Maths, the top of the top may take Further Maths, but only really if you're aiming for something like LSE, additionally, obviously, Economics is good.
Medicine

In Further Maths, some schools may put you on Accelerated Maths, where you do AS and A2 Maths in 1 year, however this differs and depends, your school may teach both subjects in parallel.

Thanks for the advice I was thinking of doing Maths,Further Maths , Biology and Chemistry. As Economics isn’t an option at my school’s sixth form and would prefer to stay
Reply 16
Original post by hellomellow
I would say do Chem, Bio and Maths. Because you can get into Medicine with those A-levels and I'm pretty sure you can get into economics as you don't need economics a-level to do economics at uni.
Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you 😀😀 . I was thinking of doing that and Further Maths
Original post by AryanGh
Economics
Medicine

Loving the advice but maybe you should stop helping people and update your gyg thread

Spoiler

Original post by Meltend
Loving the advice but maybe you should stop helping people and update your gyg thread

Spoiler

the peer pressure is getting to me aaaaa

Spoiler

Reply 19
Which A-Level is better for either Economics and Medicine degree, Further Maths or Economics. Bearing in mind some Uni say that Further Maths and Maths will be considered as 1 subject as there is an overlap in the courses. Also the top 5 unis for Economics often like Further Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest