The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to an American or British Uni?

Hi, I've just started my A levels (English Lit, Art Geography and an EPQ) and am considering universities. I'm the type of student who is quite lazy but has the mental capacity to BS their way through exams, as I did with my GSCE's but I'm really trying to knuckle down and work hard for my A-levels as I know they will be significantly harder and I have always aimed to get into a Russel group Uni. I am extremely artistic and naturally lean towards English and Art but am also interesting in geo-politics. Currently the thought of applying to only study English Literature, or only study Art and design or only study Geography seems a little daunting to me ( I know you can combine subjects so anyone with any tips on which British Universities for combined subjects like these are good please feel free to give some advice!!) which is why the American system of a broad subject range and then majoring in your second year seemed extremely appealing to me. Naturally I would be drawn to the NorthEastern Coast with NYU, Columbia And Brown, only scholarships and financial aid are extremely difficult to get. I'm a good student, if I worked harder I would be outstanding but the lack of parental support from a young age, unlike my peers who have been forced to study for 3 hours a day since year 2, has meant that my dedication to work is certainly lacking. I would prefer the American system, lifestyle and job opertunities (as well as pay) but the question of wether I'm good enough to get into places 5x more difficult than oxbridge (not saying Ivy League Uni's are better, just there's a much much larger number of applicants) seems insourmountable. Is it even worth me bothering to go through the whole process of SAT's, ACT's and personal essays only to either fail to be accepted or to go and be crippled by student debt for the next 20 years (parents set aside no college fund) all to have a fun four years in the states and a slightly better job? Or do I stick with the British system where I limit myself to one subject I'm only partially interested in, a limited number or job opertunities but less debt and effort overall? If the latter seems better then which universities are best for a smartish humanities based student who isn't entirely sure what she wants to do in her life but knows it should be something lucrative and artistic. I'm good at leading a team, I'm good at writing, I'm good at art, any ideas where I should go from here?
You arent good at using paragraphs.
Original post by 999tigger
You arent good at using paragraphs.

RIP, sorry I wrote this in one go and wasn't thinking much about how to structure it properly as I didn't think it would've made much of a difference anyway
Bare in mind if you go to an American university you will not be entitled to any student finance help (unless this has changed in the last couple of years), you will also be subject to international tuition fees which are much higher. So unless you manage to achieve a scholarship and/or are from a very well off family...an American university may be a bit of a pipe dream. Sorry to say.

Honestly unless you're an exceptional student + do a lot of extracurricular (as american unis love that stuff) then you are highly unlikely to get any of those scholarships or financial aid. So yeah, I think you're right to wonder whether it is worth takings SATs etc.
You can now do a more American type of degree in the UK. It's called liberal arts. Have a quick look, it might interest you.
Original post by Crumpet1
You can now do a more American type of degree in the UK. It's called liberal arts. Have a quick look, it might interest you.

Thanks! that sounds interesting I'll definitely have a look.
Original post by Crumpet1

Was just gonna say this. Also joint/combined honour degrees.
Original post by iamayesha
Was just gonna say this. Also joint/combined honour degrees.

Great minds!
Original post by SophieSmall
Bare in mind if you go to an American university you will not be entitled to any student finance help (unless this has changed in the last couple of years), you will also be subject to international tuition fees which are much higher. So unless you manage to achieve a scholarship and/or are from a very well off family...an American university may be a bit of a pipe dream. Sorry to say.

Honestly unless you're an exceptional student + do a lot of extracurricular (as american unis love that stuff) then you are highly unlikely to get any of those scholarships or financial aid. So yeah, I think you're right to wonder whether it is worth takings SATs etc.

Thanks so much, yeah I'm from a middle income family, and I'm good in school but not exceptional so I think something like a Liberal Arts degree in the UK seems like the best option.

Quick Reply

Latest