The Student Room Group

University choices Cambridge, Imperial, Wariwck, King's, Queen Mary UCL

Hi, I've been thinking about my university choices and my school wants me to choose by next week but they're pushing for Monday(in two days).

The choices that I'm thinking of making are:

Cambridge - Natural sciences A*A*A
Imperial -Physics A*A*A
Warwick - Physics A*AA
King's - Physics AAA/A*AB
Queen Mary - Physics (maybe particle) AAB

and maybe UCL - Physics AAA but they don't have relativity which is strange.

Can I have opinions on what the universities are like and if there are any recommendations on other universities to consider please?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Hi, I've been thinking about my university choices and my school wants me to choose by next week but they're pushing for Monday(in two days).

Imperial -Physics A*A*A
Warwick - Physics A*AA

Can I have opinions on what the universities are like and if there are any recommendations on other universities to consider please?

If you are unsure about your final choice, submit with 4 and add the 5th later.
Original post by ageshallnot
If you are unsure about your final choice, submit with 4 and add the 5th later.

Are you sure that you can do that? Don't you have to send it all at once?

Imperial -Physics A*A*A
Warwick - Physics A*AA

Don't worry about UCL and relativity - their course is accredited by the institute of physics which means it must teach certain topics, including special relativity. I'd guess that it's in the Classical Mechanics module in first year, but it's definitely somewhere.

What are you're predicted grades? I'm assuming they're at least A*A*A from your choices, and if you're confident about these I'd say you maybe don't need an insurance as low as AAB.

As for other unis to look at, have you considered Birmingham, Manchester or Durham? They're all great unis with entry requirements of A*AA or A*A*A.
Are you sure that you can do that? Don't you have to send it all at once?

100% sure. You have to send your PS, reference etc together and can't change them, but you can add choices after the first when you want - just be sure you do so before the relevant deadlines. If your school says any different they are either mistaken or lying in order to make their processes simpler.
Original post by sindyscape62
Don't worry about UCL and relativity - their course is accredited by the institute of physics which means it must teach certain topics, including special relativity. I'd guess that it's in the Classical Mechanics module in first year, but it's definitely somewhere.

What are you're predicted grades? I'm assuming they're at least A*A*A from your choices, and if you're confident about these I'd say you maybe don't need an insurance as low as AAB.

As for other unis to look at, have you considered Birmingham, Manchester or Durham? They're all great unis with entry requirements of A*AA or A*A*A.

I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I've been told that I'll be predicted A*A* for physics and chemistry and I presume that it will be the same for maths and further maths as I got 298/300 for maths and 89 for FP1, the teacher said if you got close to 90 in FP1 he would predict an A*.

I think that I can probably get A*AA min and I did get AAAA at AS but I was shocked that it happened to be honest so I thought that AAB as a backup is worth it. However, I guess it is worth considering that the course is 40th for physics which is frankly very low.

I don't want to apply for Durham or Manchester because honestly two A*A*A courses is more than enough so I don't want a third or fourth. Birmingham I could consider but still I think that I prefer Warwick over it.

Also, can you link me the list of topics that must be taught as this could be useful to not making wrong decisions. Thanks a lot for helping! :smile:
100% sure. You have to send your PS, reference etc together and can't change them, but you can add choices after the first when you want - just be sure you do so before the relevant deadlines. If your school says any different they are either mistaken or lying in order to make their processes simpler.

It's not the first time that I've heard and this and the Gifted and Talented coordinator from my school said that you can't. They are knowledgeable about personal statements and Oxbridge applications but for a lot of stuff about UCAS they didn't know the answer so it could just be possible that they made an assumption. The person that runs the UCAS stuff isn't exactly the easiest person to talk to but I guess I should ask her to confirm that the school knows.

Thanks for letting me know though.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

"You can choose up to five courses (all now or some later). There’s no preference order and your universities/colleges won’t see where else you’ve applied until after you reply to any offers you get."

Yup just found this on the website thanks.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

"You can choose up to five courses (all now or some later). There’s no preference order and your
colleges won’t see where else you’ve applied until after you reply to any offers you get."

Yup just found this on the website thanks.

There you go!

One tactic is to wait until you get responses from your first wave of applications before deciding your last choice(s). That way you might know whether you need another 'insurance' or can aim a bit higher.
I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I've been told that I'll be predicted A*A* for physics and chemistry and I presume that it will be the same for maths and further maths as I got 298/300 for maths and 89 for FP1, the teacher said if you got close to 90 in FP1 he would predict an A*.

I think that I can probably get A*AA min and I did get AAAA at AS but I was shocked that it happened to be honest so I thought that AAB as a backup is worth it. However, I guess it is worth considering that the course is 40th for physics which is frankly very low.

I don't want to apply for Durham or Manchester because honestly two A*A*A courses is more than enough so I don't want a third or fourth. Birmingham I could consider but still I think that I prefer Warwick over it.

Also, can you link me the list of topics that must be taught as this could be useful to not making wrong decisions. Thanks a lot for helping! :smile:

This is the IOP document that sets out requirements for accreditation:
http://www.iop.org/education/higher_education/accreditation/file_64166.pdf

Starting on page 8 there's a list of essential topics. I really wouldn't worry about checking this stuff though - any physics course at a respected uni is going to be accredited and is going to include all the important physics topics, and there's very little difference between unis in what it taught.

I can see why you don't want too many A*A*A unis (I forgot you had imperial). If you like UCL then maybe replace Queen Mary with it? Judging by your AS maths UMS, the chances of you not getting an A* at it are pretty low - you could get 90 in C3, 90 in C4 and only 2 UMS in a third module and you'd still have an A*.
There you go!

One tactic is to wait until you get responses from your first wave of applications before deciding your last choice(s). That way you might know whether you need another 'insurance' or can aim a bit higher.

Hmm yeah that could be something that I consider to do.
Go for Bristol! I attend Bristol and the Physics department is honestly amazing. Entry reqs are A*AA.
Original post by sindyscape62
This is the IOP document that sets out requirements for accreditation:
http://www.iop.org/education/higher_education/accreditation/file_64166.pdf

Starting on page 8 there's a list of essential topics. I really wouldn't worry about checking this stuff though - any physics course at a respected uni is going to be accredited and is going to include all the important physics topics, and there's very little difference between unis in what it taught.

I can see why you don't want too many A*A*A unis (I forgot you had imperial). If you like UCL then maybe replace Queen Mary with it? Judging by your AS maths UMS, the chances of you not getting an A* at it are pretty low - you could get 90 in C3, 90 in C4 and only 2 UMS in a third module and you'd still have an A*.

Sorry I didn't see your comment until now.

I just wanted to see the compulsory modules for curiosity and to see if there are modules that I want which aren't mentioned.

I think that I might put Queen Mary to the side. I guess it's not worth picking a low down university just to get into university. I hopefully should manage an A* I just need to keep practising. :smile:
Original post by Pidge Gunderson
Go for Bristol! I attend Bristol and the Physics department is honestly amazing. Entry reqs are A*AA.

I'll have a look at their course. What year are you in?
I'll have a look at their course. What year are you in?

First year.
Original post by Pidge Gunderson
First year.

so you're about to start second year?
Reply 17
It's not the first time that I've heard and this and the Gifted and Talented coordinator from my school said that you can't. They are knowledgeable about personal statements and Oxbridge applications but for a lot of stuff about UCAS they didn't know the answer so it could just be possible that they made an assumption. The person that runs the UCAS stuff isn't exactly the easiest person to talk to but I guess I should ask her to confirm that the school knows.

Thanks for letting me know though.

You only *have* to apply to Oxbridge by 15th Oct. All the others can be added one at a time at any stage up until 15th January to be guaranteed "equal consideration" alongside all other applicants.

There's no rush at all (except for Cambridge...).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
You only *have* to apply to Oxbridge by 15th Oct. All the others can be added one at a time at any stage up until 15th January to be guaranteed "equal consideration" alongside all other applicants.

There's no rush at all (except for Cambridge...).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay sure. Do you think that it's really equal?
Reply 19
Ah okay sure. Do you think that it's really equal?

Yes. 100%.

Universities are contracted by UCAS to apply equal consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending