The Student Room Group

How is this for a salary?

40k for a Software Developer position in London? How is this for someone with 2 years of experience, compared to typical salaries?

Scroll to see replies

Pretty average
Original post by Gherk
40k for a Software Developer position in London? How is this for someone with 2 years of experience, compared to typical salaries?

It's good considering your experience.
Reply 3
Original post by D3LLI5
Pretty average

What would be good?
Original post by Gherk
What would be good?

no
Original post by Gherk

I'd say it's pretty good. My dad works as a software developer and has for almost 17 years just outside London and I think he gets around 45k. Given you only have 2 years experience then I think that's pretty generous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Good lord I'd kill for anything even close to that salary. I know very few graduates on that amount, except for those in financial management. If, most importantly, you'd enjoy the job, then you're in an ideal position.
Ridiculously good, go for it!
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14
I'd say it's pretty good. My dad works as a software developer and has for almost 17 years just outside London and I think he gets around 45k. Given you only have 2 years experience then I think that's pretty generous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what field he is in? £45k for 17 years of experience is unusually low.
really low according to tsr standards
It's actually quite low. 45k is the starting salary for most SEs in London. Some even get 70k starting (this is what you'd class as good).
Original post by Computer Geek
It's actually quite low. 45k is the starting salary for most SEs in London. Some even get 70k starting (this is what you'd class as good).

What is the 45k figure from? I thought the average was lower
Reply 12

This is an incredibly overoptimistic (read: wrong) assessment. Graduate salaries in London range between £28k-£35k, with various exceptions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
Do you know what field he is in? £45k for 17 years of experience is unusually low.

Not really... I know at one point he was developing training stuff for the army but that was a couple of years ago now. Most the stuff they do is for companies in the middle east but I don't actually know what it is precisely that he does (apart from when he gets forced to write bids... Then I know about it as he moans as he hates it :lol:)
It may be more like 50k I'm not exactly sure but I guess that's still quite low. It's quite a small company though which I guess may slightly affect it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Lemur14
Not really... I know at one point he was developing training stuff for the army but that was a couple of years ago now. Most the stuff they do is for companies in the middle east but I don't actually know what it is precisely that he does (apart from when he gets forced to write bids... Then I know about it as he moans as he hates it :lol:)
It may be more like 50k I'm not exactly sure but I guess that's still quite low. It's quite a small company though which I guess may slightly affect it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It being a smaller company will definitely be a driver behind the discrepancy, but I couldn't say without knowing the situation personally!

Your sense of starting salaries seems skewed towards only financial services, quant funds and high paying technology companies. I think you'll find the average starting salary is a fair bit lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my friend's sister got a 1st in Maths and got a job at bank starting at 62k. However, she was the top graduate in her year.
Original post by Gherk

It depends on how good the candidate is. A top candidate (Oxbridge / able RG / gifted) could get £40k straight out of university around Cambridge.

Original post by Lemur14

Original post by CJKay
This is an incredibly overoptimistic (read: wrong) assessment. Graduate salaries in London range between £28k-£35k, with various exceptions.

Ability is key, but there are always employers (/ HR departments) looking to take advantage of people that don't know what they're worth.

You tend to get done on salary once in your career. It's important to work with people that you can learn from - they tend to be (in my experience) in the higher paying companies. If you're not learning in computing, you're going backwards.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Bumping, as I need more opinions.
I'm afraid that "software engineer in London" and "two years experience" says little to nothing about whether it's a good or bad salary for you to be earning - you're focused on all the wrong things.

While working on London naturally adds a good sum of money to the kind of salary you could expect (potentially £10k-£15k more than many other parts of the country due to living expenses, commuting, etc.), your own worth as a software engineer is based on a whole lot more than where you work or how long you've been working in a similar job.

A better question to ask is how much you are worth personally, given not only your experience, but your technical skills, ability to work with people, general work ethic, analytical/problem-solving skills, interpersonal and communication skills, how well you can work on a project or task by yourself, etc.

Two different people working in the same software engineering job in London are often worth completely different sums of money, so the amount of money you'll be offered for a job will depend on those factors. An employer may be more than willing to offer £40,000 or more for somebody who has less experience but demonstrates a very high technical ability, and shines in an interview with their 'soft' skills, problem solving skills, enthusiasm, etc.

Employers may also look at other people and decide that £40k is a bit much for them - it depends whether they assess those people as being a great asset to their company; companies are often willing to hire people on higher wages if they see a lot of potential - the quality of the person is important, and you can't measure quality in terms of experience - it's a complex thing to assess, and there's a lot of judgement involved.

If you really want to find out how much you are worth, then the best way is probably just to apply to jobs which are offering the kind of money you would like to earn, to attend interviews, and see whether you get offered the job. If you don't get offered a job, then you need to seek feedback and find out what your interviewers say about you. .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending