The Student Room Group

I'm Turkish - Ask me anything you want to know about Turkey?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Aww yeah I thought as much. I came back from Turkey a few days ago with one big box which is already running out. It tastes so nice and unique too. If I'd known they don't really sell them here, I would've bought back another 4 boxes!

Enjoy them whilst they last!
Original post by GreenBell
I can speak a little Turkish by watching Turkish Dramas, what's your favourite drama? if you watch it..

omg. GUZEL
Original post by asamedkaradal
No, i made this thread to answer peoples questions they have regarding Turkey. All you are doing is criticising it, in which I respect that as you are entitled to your own opinion. I will not, however, respond to these criticisms as I'm not here to debate and argue.

If you wish to debate/argue with me then id happily do so another time in another thread, but for now, dont waste your time expecting me to reply, cause I won't be.

That's a shame. Turkey is a country worth having a 1000 arguments, all of which are in the favour of the 'against' position.
Original post by faloodeh
omg. GUZEL

Cok guzel! :tongue:
- In the current political theatre in Turkey Erdogan is the only strong and suitable leader

As Prime Minister he
- Allowed the Kurdish language to be used in all broadcast media and political campaigns
- Removal of the Public Headscarf Ban which prevented women wearing the headscarf from attending universities, working in the public sector
- Between 2002-2012 Turkey saw a 64% increase in real GDP and 43% increase in GDP per Capita. Higher than the values of developed countries.
- Reduced Turkeys IMF debt from $23.5bn to just $0.9bn in 2012
- 2003 he pushed for greater Labour rights which saw max. overtime hours capped at 270 hours a year, introduction of a 45 hour workweek limit, provided legal support against discimination
- Number of airports in Turkey rose from 26 to 56 under Erdogan and the AK Parti Govt.
- High Speed Rail was introduced in 2009
- Third bridge in Istanbul to connect the European and Asian side and to reduce traffic congestion on the other two bridges
- 2017 Ref, saw the age of election to Parliament being reduced to 18

Theres so much more reasons as to why i support Erdogan but i think these are enough for now

And you don't care he murders journalists and political opponents?
Original post by yudothis
And you don't care he murders journalists and political opponents?

No journalists or political opponents have been killed by Erdogan.

Yes he imprisons journalists, and this is justified because of their support for terrorist organisations and becuase their articles or reports are viewed as propaganda of terrorist organisations.

In terms of imprisoning political opponents such as the co-leaders of the Kurdish HDP they are justified on the grounds of both stating their open support for the YPG and PYD (which are labelled as terrorists groups in Turkey) and Selahattin Demirtas has also been accused of inciting civil disobedience after the June 2015 hung parliament election.
do you hate normal arabic people or just their goverments? or both?
Original post by Anonymous
do you hate normal arabic people or just their goverments? or both?

The government for sure
No journalists or political opponents have been killed by Erdogan.

Yes he imprisons journalists, and this is justified because of their support for terrorist organisations and becuase their articles or reports are viewed as propaganda of terrorist organisations.

In terms of imprisoning political opponents such as the co-leaders of the Kurdish HDP they are justified on the grounds of both stating their open support for the YPG and PYD (which are labelled as terrorists groups in Turkey) and Selahattin Demirtas has also been accused of inciting civil disobedience after the June 2015 hung parliament election.

Yes, he has killed them. Are you delusional?

And hugely ironic you would call their articles "propaganda" when all he does is propaganda. He is one of the worst dictators currently living.
Reply 69
When I was in Turkey I noticed people were constantly eating some seeds encased in white shells. Do you know what those seeds are called?

I meant to buy a pack but never got round to it. I want to look for them when I visit a Turkish Food Centre in London.
Original post by Fruli
When I was in Turkey I noticed people were constantly eating some seeds encased in white shells. Do you know what those seeds are called?

I meant to buy a pack but never got round to it. I want to look for them when I visit a Turkish Food Centre in London.

They are sunflower seeds, or sometimes pumpkin seeds. You can easily find them in Turkish supermarkets and they are either salted or unsalted.

Turks are known to be large consumers of sunflower seeds.
You're a British Turk?

In that case... my question is:

Would you abandon the U.K. to go and live back in Turkey?
Reply 72
Any chance you might be able to recommend me a Baklava recipe?
Original post by Mightlobster
You're a British Turk?

In that case... my question is:

Would you abandon the U.K. to go and live back in Turkey?

First id like to make it clear that i am proud of being British and have always seen Britain as my country.

To answer your question I dont see why not, that is if i find a better career option/path in Turkey once i finish university here in the UK.

I have however always wanted to move back to my village once i retire
Original post by Fruli
Any chance you might be able to recommend me a Baklava recipe?

Unfortunately no becuase i dont know any baklava recipes, plus it is very difficult to make as the pastry in it has to be soo thin so that it is transparent. Id suggest you buy it from a turkish place such as Antepliler in Newington Green or Haringey in London
Reply 75
Why Turkish have done some many massacres and genocides?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Turkey
Reply 76
Unfortunately no becuase i dont know any baklava recipes, plus it is very difficult to make as the pastry in it has to be soo thin so that it is transparent. Id suggest you buy it from a turkish place such as Antepliler in Newington Green or Haringey in London

Thanks. Marks and Spencer recently started stocking it, at a decent price. Six pieces for £3. It's reasonably fresh, considering it's in a packet.

I used to get it from the Turkish Food Centre when I worked in Haringey.

I now live outside of London.
Original post by Fruli
Thanks. Marks and Spencer recently started stocking it, at a decent price. Six pieces for £3. It's reasonably fresh, considering it's in a packet.

I used to get it from the Turkish Food Centre when I worked in Haringey.

I now live outside of London.

Yeah i heard about M&S stocking them, but havent had the time to give them a try
Could you share the recipe of your favourite dish? 🍽
What's the food like there? Is it only kebabs? (Sorry if I sound ignorant, I just really like food). Also where would the best place to holiday in turkey be?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending