The Student Room Group

where can i buy a phone from ?

i am looking to buy the samsung galaxy s8 plus for as cheap as possible.

i have checked ebay and amazon.....
Original post by study beats
i am looking to buy the samsung galaxy s8 plus for as cheap as possible.

i have checked ebay and amazon.....

What sort of prices are you seeing from them? Usually I'd recommend Amazon :smile:

This thread should be in the Mobile phones forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :h:
Lycamobile

i was looking at that website, can they be trusted

they have the international version for 499 pounds
i was looking at that website, can they be trusted

they have the international version for 499 pounds

It's a legitimate site but it's grey market- stock from outside the UK/EU which they purchase and sell without paying sales tax on at any point. If the phone makes it through UK customs without being checked then you're golden, if it does get checked you will be liable for the 20% VAT bill. There is also a strong likelihood the product won't be covered by warranty in the UK.

I don't know what their track record is like with smartphones, but in photography circles it's typically advised to avoid them unless it's necessary.
should i purchase it then?
should i purchase it then?

It's a judgment call, if you're willing to risk the customs bill then sure. If you'd rather know exactly what you're paying and have the safety net of a guaranteed warranty, then no.
how much is the customs bill

also i am being protected by paypal
Reply 9
how much is the customs bill

also i am being protected by paypal

told you it would be the 20% VAT. On top which there could be an administration fee from the delivery company for handling the customs bill.

Paypal makes no difference. It doesn't stop you from being liable to customs duty.
Original post by Doonesbury
@Gofre told you it would be the 20% VAT. On top which there could be an administration fee from the delivery company for handling the customs bill.

Paypal makes no difference. It doesn't stop you from being liable to customs duty.

Both of you are wrong lol. eGlobal cover customs, you don't pay. They don't mark down the item cost though, I'm not sure how it's done but every time I have ordered from there never been hit with customs.

https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.html

I think they just drop ship to the EU and then EU to EU shipping is free.

@study beats From my experience they seem fine, I've bought phones and headphones from there. Everything delivered fine and quick, no hassle and the items have all been fine. Ymmv though.
Reply 11
Original post by somemightsay888
Both of you are wrong lol. eGlobal cover customs, you don't pay. They don't mark down the item cost though, I'm not sure how it's done but every time I have ordered from there never been hit with customs.

@study beats From my experience they seem fine, I've bought phones and headphones from there. Everything delivered fine and quick, no hassle and the items have all been fine. Ymmv though.

I have no knowledge of eGlobal. I was commentng on how much charges would be *if* they were levied by customs.

However, if something seems too good to be true...
Original post by somemightsay888

thanks for the info...

did the phones you order were legit ?
Reply 13
thanks for the info...

did the phones you order were legit ?

They have quite a few negative reviews. I wouldn't risk it.
Original post by Ciel.
They have quite a few negative reviews. I wouldn't risk it.

show me
Reply 15
show me

Google it and visit the first few websites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending