The Student Room Group

Should I do AS Maths for these benefits?

At GCSE I got a 6 (B) and was 1 mark away from a 7 (A). A lot of courses I've been looking at asks for a 7 at GCSE if you don't do A-Level Maths, including Geology at Imperial, Account/Business etc at Durham, and Economics at unis that don't require A-Level Maths.

So, instead of me sending them a sob story about how I was 1 mark away from meeting their requirements, should I do Maths as an AS to make up for it? I don't want to do it as a full A-Level as I feel that I will get a better grade in something else, so if I do it at AS it won't affect my A-Level grades and has half the benefits of A-Level Maths I guess? I'm also doing Physics so AS Maths will help with that as it includes mechanics. Also, I feel that Maths will help me in the real world when finding a job as Maths is such a useful skill, if only I focused on it more at GCSE.
Reply 1
The new GCSE doesn't have intermediate (at least not in the way that it used to a long time ago). There's foundation and higher. It's just that with Foundation, the highest you can get is a "5", which most schools would equate to an old C, but technically it's a high C/low B, so some people may see it as a B. I doubt thought that any school will let you do A Level Maths having only done foundation.
Reply 2
Original post by Fonzworth
At GCSE I got a 6 (B) and was 1 mark away from a 7 (A). A lot of courses I've been looking at asks for a 7 at GCSE if you don't do A-Level Maths, including Geology at Imperial, Account/Business etc at Durham, and Economics at unis that don't require A-Level Maths.

So, instead of me sending them a sob story about how I was 1 mark away from meeting their requirements, should I do Maths as an AS to make up for it? I don't want to do it as a full A-Level as I feel that I will get a better grade in something else, so if I do it at AS it won't affect my A-Level grades and has half the benefits of A-Level Maths I guess? I'm also doing Physics so AS Maths will help with that as it includes mechanics. Also, I feel that Maths will help me in the real world when finding a job as Maths is such a useful skill, if only I focused on it more at GCSE.

Isn't A-Level Maths linear now though? As in it's a full 2 year course and only has internal exams at the end of year 12?
Original post by Black Water
Isn't A-Level Maths linear now though? As in it's a full 2 year course and only has internal exams at the end of year 12?

You can still take the AS as a standalone qualification.
Reply 4
Original post by wightsnowolf
You can still take the AS as a standalone qualification.

Doesn't it depend on the school?
Original post by Black Water
Doesn't it depend on the school?

Some schools don't like people doing them, because they don't want to offer classes for them. Doesn't mean that you can't do it as an external candidate though.
Reply 6
Original post by wightsnowolf
Some schools don't like people doing them, because they don't want to offer classes for them. Doesn't mean that you can't do it as an external candidate though.

Yeah that's true.
I got a B in my GCSE’s and was a couple marks of an A and I did AS Maths 4 years ago and I know that the curriculum may have changed since then. Even though to take subjects at A-level you have to get a B, the head of maths at my school was reluctant to give me it at a level as she said I’d find it difficult. But because my mock exams were all A*s and she had a chat my maths teacher, they gave me the subject.

I regretted taking it as there is a big jump between GCSE and A-level and the pace you go at is so fast. I missed a week due to being in hospital and I missed a whole unit in statistics and it was also stressful. If you’re taking Physics then it could help you but not as much when you get to A2 and that’s when you take mechanics. You need to be able to put the extra work in and be prepared to devote a lot of your time to it and also taking it with physics will make it more stressful.

Quick Reply

Latest