The Student Room Group

Mathematical Olympiad for Girls Thresholds

I'm taking part in MOG this year and I noticed that the 2016 thresholds last year were unusually low–I was wondering if anyone knew the average threshold of past years (e.g. The 2015 thresholds) as it would be quite a nice reference to have!
Reply 1
Bump
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pastelx
I'm taking part in MOG this year and I noticed that the 2016 thresholds last year were unusually low–I was wondering if anyone knew the average threshold of past years (e.g. The 2015 thresholds) as it would be quite a nice reference to have!

I was looking for those too and couldn't find them anywhere :frown: I don't think they're online.
Reply 3
Original post by Sonechka
I was looking for those too and couldn't find them anywhere :frown: I don't think they're online.

Awww that’s such a pain!! Hopefully someone on TSR might remember roughly what the boundaries usually are?

Have you been preparing for MOG?
Original post by Pastelx
Awww that’s such a pain!! Hopefully someone on TSR might remember roughly what the boundaries usually are?

Information about prizewinners' scores are here if you keep scrolling down long enough.
Original post by Pastelx

I hope so! My school didn't get their crap together and register me...but I've done some questions and am using MOG papers for additional SMC/BMO prep. We can exchange solutions and stuff if you want :h:
Reply 6
Original post by Pastelx

This may help, not sure if the thresholds are there though.

https://bmos.ukmt.org.uk/home/ukmog.shtml
Reply 7
I hope so! My school didn't get their crap together and register me...but I've done some questions and am using MOG papers for additional SMC/BMO prep. We can exchange solutions and stuff if you want :h:

Oo sure! Honestly I haven’t done much prep and am not expecting an award since I’m only Year12 and it’s completely optional for my year’s FM class (only Yr13 are actually meant to be doing it at my school) and that’s partly why I was wondering what the thresholds are–I only managed to get two questions on the 2015 paper I tried!

That’s a real shame that you’re not doing MOG but it does seem like the questions are good practice for BMO!
Original post by Pastelx
Oo sure! Honestly I haven’t done much prep and am not expecting an award since I’m only Year12 and it’s completely optional for my year’s FM class (only Yr13 are actually meant to be doing it at my school) and that’s partly why I was wondering what the thresholds are–I only managed to get two questions on the 2015 paper I tried!

That’s a real shame that you’re not doing MOG but it does seem like the questions are good practice for BMO!

Shall we choose a paper and each post our solutions here? Or we could do it via PM, I don't mind :h:

Yeah, I saw only 32 people got over 30 last year :O it's difficult! I've only attempted one question so far and I almost got it right (the neat combinatorics one in the 2016 paper; I made an arithmetic error) but there are at least two questions on that paper which I had absolutely no idea how to do. I feel like there's more geometry in MOG than in BMO1 as well, and I suck at geometry :s-smilie:
Reply 9
I feel like there's more geometry in MOG than in BMO1 as well, and I suck at geometry :s-smilie:

Girls are more visual thinkers, boys are more abstract thinkers.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GrabDrop
Girls are more visual thinkers, boys are more abstract thinkers.

Spoiler

That's not true in my case :lol: I can only do algebra and combinatorics. I didn't even bother learning all the Euclidean stuff...maybe I should if I actually qualify for BMO1 :s-smilie:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Shall we choose a paper and each post our solutions here? Or we could do it via PM, I don't mind :h:

Yeah, I saw only 32 people got over 30 last year :O it's difficult! I've only attempted one question so far and I almost got it right (the neat combinatorics one in the 2016 paper; I made an arithmetic error) but there are at least two questions on that paper which I had absolutely no idea how to do. I feel like there's more geometry in MOG than in BMO1 as well, and I suck at geometry :s-smilie:

Yeah I'm happy to discuss on thread! I've successfully done the first 2 questions on the 2015 paper and I sort of got the answer to the 4th question (although I'd probably give myself 3/10 because my method was so bad XD); I had no idea how to do the other two questions!

Do you think there is a merit mark for MOG like with the intermediate olympiads? I don't think I'm going to make around the 30/50 mark at this rate!

Quick Reply

Latest