The Student Room Group

Germany election: Merkel seeks fourth term

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41376577

Millions of Germans are casting their votes in the country's federal elections, with Chancellor Angela Merkel tipped to retain power. She is seeking a fourth term in office and to keep her conservative CDU/CSU alliance's status as the largest presence in Germany's parliament.

Its coalition partner, the social democratic SPD, is its main rival, while the right-wing AfD is likely to gain its first parliamentary seats. Voter turnout looks set to be high. By midday more people had voted in most regions, than by the same time in the federal elections four years ago. Mrs Merkel has cast her vote at a polling station in Berlin; the SPD's candidate for chancellor, Martin Schulz, voted earlier in the day in his home town Wuerselen in western Germany.
Political correctness is cancer.

Merkel should be locked up.
Anyone who doesn't think Merkel will win again is deluding themselves. Only question is how big is her margin of victory.
Full exit poll predictions

These are the numbers according to public broadcaster ARD/infratest-dmap

Centre-right CDU/CSU: 32.5%
Centre-left SPD: 20%
Right-wing nationalist AfD: 13.5%
Liberal FDP: 10.5%
Greens: 9.5%
Die Linke (The Left): 9%

So SPD down to a historic post-war low. AfD getting within what everyone expected, and Merkel smashing it. All thoroughly predictable.
Will they ever get over world war 2 for god's sake ??

and merkel looks like singer Adele
I don't know about the election rules here. If AfD come second what happens?
Exit polls say she has already won?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1

They didn't come second, they came third. Either way, given their views, no one would want to join them in a coalition.
Original post by shawn_o1

Nazism was just 15 years of German history.

German history is one of the greatest, complex and accomplished in world history.

they have everything to be proud of.
Original post by MrDystopia
They didn't come second, they came third. Either way, given their views, no one would want to join them in a coalition.

The tide has turned. Their views seem to be very mainstream, just look at some threads on TSR.
Original post by Acend1992
The tide has turned. Their views seem to be very mainstream, just look at some threads on TSR.

TSR most definitely does not represent the views of the majority of British youths. Get out in the real world.
Will they ever get over world war 2 for god's sake ??

and merkel looks like singer Adele

I don't think the murder of 11 million people is something that an country can forget. If we don't learn from the mistakes of the past, how can we build a better future?
Original post by JMR2017
I don't think the murder of 11 million people is something that an country can forget. If we don't learn from the mistakes of the past, how can we build a better future?

i don't think it's that simple. people should not live in endless guilt.

I mean it is good to be proud of their country, especially modern Germany, but why should they be proud of an evil history?
Reply 14

There's no guilt, people just don't want a repeat of what happened, at least in Germany.

Cant say the same for America though.
Looks like she won :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending