The Student Room Group

What age do you reckon I could make it to if I

completely stop alcohol and vape rather than smoke from now on? I'm 25 now.

My exercise varies a fair bit but I generally manage to walk at least 30 minutes a day as I can't drive.

I don't take any other drugs and my diet is ok-ish.
Reply 1
Original post by Wannasucceed

My exercise varies a fair bit but I generally manage to walk at least 30 minutes a day as I can't drive.

You'd be comfortably healthier than average, assuming your diet is ok. So 80+

Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.:smile:

My recommendation would be to do it and let us know how your health improves.:tongue:
I cant say for sure what age you'd roughly be expected to live to but what I know for sure is you will FEEL a lot healthier and a lot more energetic if you cut drinking and smoking you'll feel like a brand new person. I'm 18 and have never drank alcohol or smoked and never plan to.
Very true. Take Cheik Tiote for example. Perfectly healthy footballer in his early 30s suddenly died a few months ago.
I think it would be silly of anyone to estimate how long you may live by cutting out alcohol and cigarettes, but it certainly wouldn't do you any harm.

As of September 29th, I've been 600 days without alcohol. I 'quit' smoking just over two years ago ('quit' because I do occasionally have the odd cigarette, but I used to smoke twenty a day) and now vape, though hope to quit that at some point too. And on January 1st, I went vegetarian. I don't do drugs other than those prescribed and I try to exercise as often as I can, though this can be difficult due to a disability and what that brings. I didn't do any of those things in order to make sure I was still here when I'm in my late-90's though, I mean, that would just be a bonus I guess - unless I'm more crippled than I am now and I've spent the last ten years of my life wetting myself, hahaha. I think what's more important to think when making decisions like these is the impact it will have on your health - both physical and mental.

I agree with 04MR17 though - try it on for size, see if it suits you.
Your quality of life will definitely improve, as you should have more energy etc.

5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Nobody could possibly tell. Who knows? There is no clear-cut answer.

These are good life choices, although I'd recommend quitting nicotine completely when you can. The potential harm of e-cigarettes hasn't fully been studied. And while walking is good, more intensive excercise is a good idea as well.

Perhaps more importantly than sheer lifespan is your quality of life. Stopping smoking will probably make you fitter and hopefully everything will feel a tiny bit easier.

Quick Reply

Latest