The Student Room Group

How to get an A/A* in OCR a level chemistry new spec?

I just want tips to help me to get a good grade in A level chemistry. At the moment I am worried about how to prepare for the practical questions and topics that haven't come up in past papers like the Arrhenius equation. If has anyone tips for me to do well I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Butterflyshy
I just want tips to help me to get a good grade in A level chemistry. At the moment I am worried about how to prepare for the practical questions and topics that haven't come up in past papers like the Arrhenius equation. If has anyone tips for me to do well I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I just finished the new OCR A level Chemistry course, and I gotta say the main thing that will get your grade to a C upwards is maths/chemistry maths, even the practical questions will involve maths so get a book which covers the maths and practical skills. DO NOT GET the OCR endorsed books; stick to CGP. If you want, PM me and I'll give you the list of books to not waste time/money on.

Practice, practice, practice! Do as many questions as you can for each topic whilst following the specification. Since I'm done with college now feel free to PM me anytime with questions :smile:
Original post by AnnaRainbows
I just finished the new OCR A level Chemistry course, and I gotta say the main thing that will get your grade to a C upwards is maths/chemistry maths, even the practical questions will involve maths so get a book which covers the maths and practical skills. DO NOT GET the OCR endorsed books; stick to CGP. If you want, PM me and I'll give you the list of books to not waste time/money on.

Practice, practice, practice! Do as many questions as you can for each topic whilst following the specification. Since I'm done with college now feel free to PM me anytime with questions :smile:

Thank you so much for replying. Did you do any of the old practical exam
papers to prepare?
Thank you so much for replying. Did you do any of the old practical exam
papers to prepare?

Our teach gave us 3 papers to do for each exam (A2) they were called by sets (Set 1, set 2, etc) and each were soooo different but very difficult and a few had mistakes; those papers were also mainly A2 stuff (modules 5 and 6).

I assume you're in AS right now, so from what I can remember AS was bliss compared to A2, though is your school even going to hold the exams for year 1? The course is linear now, so...
Our teach gave us 3 papers to do for each exam (A2) they were called by sets (Set 1, set 2, etc) and each were soooo different but very difficult and a few had mistakes; those papers were also mainly A2 stuff (modules 5 and 6).

I assume you're in AS right now, so from what I can remember AS was bliss compared to A2, though is your school even going to hold the exams for year 1? The course is linear now, so...

I just started A2, the as content was quite easy:smile:
Reply 5
I can confirm, the OCR endorsed books are crap. Littered with mistakes. (At least the one my college provided me with)
I just started A2, the as content was quite easy:smile:

Oh, great! So yeah, you probably already started the PAGs since AS and you should've been given sheets with questions as OCR require PAG write-ups; depending on which sheets your teacher uses it could be helpful. Other than that, stick to doing as many questions as possible, it will form the basis of your knowledge.
(edited 5 years ago)
Oh, great! So yeah, you probably already started the PAGs since AS and you should've been given sheets with questions as OCR require PAG write-ups; depending on which sheets your teacher uses it could be helpful. Other than that, stick to doing as many questions as possible, it will form the basis of your knowledge.

I also have a drive of exam papers specially made for this specification that I paid for but willing to share! Only by PM of course :biggrin:

Would you be able to send it to me?:smile: Thanks so much.
I really like the ocr books, CGP turn me off and normally seem lighter on info.
Reply 9
Original post by black1blade
I really like the ocr books, CGP turn me off and normally seem lighter on info.

Do what you like. I'd much rather learn something that I know is right, than having to hope it's right.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Gwazy
Do what you like. I'd much rather learn something that I know is right, than having to hope it's right.

Yeah there are a few mistakes in the ocr books but it's not a problem if you aren't self teaching.

I also have a drive of exam papers specially made for this specification that I paid for but willing to share! Only by PM of course :biggrin:

Hello,
I'm also doing the new spec chemistry A level and was wondering whether it was possible for you to share your drive of exam papers with me too, they would be a massive help
jim clark ,snaprevise adn the dr. boes notes got me an a*
Hey, i have no idea how to PM but can u recommend any books worth buying ?
Same here please
Reply 15
These 3 resources are helpful to anyone trying to get the A/A*:
chemrevise
a-levelchemistry.co.uk
Calculations in As/a level chemistry by Jim clark
me too!
Original post by stacey.stacey
Hey, i have no idea how to PM but can u recommend any books worth buying ?

jim clark calulations in chemistry
Hey,

I did A level Chemistry last year and I got an A*

My biggest tip for chemistry would be making sure you know all the equations and mechanisms inside out. Knowing these will make sure you get all these marks and looking at the papers it actually forms huge proportion of the paper.

Last year I made a summary of all the equations and mechanisms needed for the new spec and used it a lot leading up to the exams. It really helped in terms of getting the reagents and conditions memorised really well. I thought I’d share it with all of you so you can all benefit: https://lifeofamedic.com/a-level-chemistry-mechanism-summary-ocr/
Original post by lifeofamedic
Hey,

I did A level Chemistry last year and I got an A*

My biggest tip for chemistry would be making sure you know all the equations and mechanisms inside out. Knowing these will make sure you get all these marks and looking at the papers it actually forms huge proportion of the paper.

Last year I made a summary of all the equations and mechanisms needed for the new spec and used it a lot leading up to the exams. It really helped in terms of getting the reagents and conditions memorised really well. I thought I’d share it with all of you so you can all benefit: https://lifeofamedic.com/a-level-chemistry-mechanism-summary-ocr/

Hey I'm applying for med and doing chemistry this year. I was wondering what your past paper schedule was.

Quick Reply

Latest