The Student Room Group

What are you reading at the moment?

Tell us what you are currently reading! :smartass:

I am reading 'The Metamorphosis' by Franz Kafka at the moment. :grin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michiyo

Nice - not heard of that one before. Currently reading Hunger by Michael Grant :smile: but Lord of the Flies keeps popping up in places related to books so I kind of want to read it. :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by bizzy_penguin
Nice - not heard of that one before. Currently reading Hunger by Michael Grant :smile: but Lord of the Flies keeps popping up in places related to books so I kind of want to read it. :tongue:

Wow, and here I thought it was a classic! :laugh: It is really short and relatively interesting so far. I find it odd how relevant it is even today, more than a hundred years after its publication. :moon:

Never heard of that one either :hide:

I read it for GCSE. 10/10 would not recommend. It is just... a depressing exaggeration of the worst parts of human nature. It manages to maintain a degree of realism, but I did not like it personally.

I have also been reading 'World Order' by Henry Kissinger for like a year :rofl:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
IT by Stephen King

After watching the old and new movie, I thought it was about time I finally read the book. It's one of the few horror books by SK I hadn't read yet. Really enjoying it so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Michiyo

wow - I tried to read that in the original German, gave up and found it was just as baffling and depressing in English

still found it super interesting though
what did you think??

EDIT: I'm reading The Siege by Helen Dunmore
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo

I have read that and found it, like you said, still relevant today. I used to be really into Kafka as a teenager.

Currently reading "Think Like A Cat" to try and understand my cats better and give them more fulfilling lives. :tongue: They've stopped fighting so much since I implemented a couple of the strategies I read and I've only read a few chapters so far so hoping for more helpful advice as I read more!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rum Ham
IT by Stephen King

After watching the old and new movie, I thought it was about time I finally read the book. It's one of the few horror books by SK I hadn't read yet. Really enjoying it so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made the mistake of watching the trailer for that movie on youtube. ****ing hell. :afraid: :hide:
Reply 7
Original post by georgieb42
wow - I tried to read that in the original German, gave up and found it was just as baffling and depressing in English

still found it super interesting though
what did you think??

EDIT: I'm reading The Siege by Helen Dunmore

Wow, that is so cool! :gasp:

I am only on page 28 right now :redface:

I just hope it will not be too depressing since I do not like depressing things :sad:

I am not done reading it yet, hence why I posted about it in this thread :toofunny:

Sounds interesting :biggrin:

Original post by Sabertooth
I have read that and found it, like you said, still relevant today. I used to be really into Kafka as a teenager.

Currently reading "Think Like A Cat" to try and understand my cats better and give them more fulfilling lives. :tongue: They've stopped fighting so much since I implemented a couple of the strategies I read and I've only read a few chapters so far so hoping for more helpful advice as I read more!

I am only about a third through :hide:

Really? :shock: What other books by him did you like? :holmes:

Hahaha, I bet that is an entertaining read! :rofl:

OMG CATS :gah:
Original post by Michiyo
Wow, that is so cool! :gasp:

I am only on page 28 right now :redface:

I just hope it will not be too depressing since I do not like depressing things :sad:

I am not done reading it yet, hence why I posted about it in this thread :toofunny:

Sounds interesting :biggrin:

I am only about a third through :hide:

Really? :shock: What other books by him did you like? :holmes:

Hahaha, I bet that is an entertaining read! :rofl:

OMG CATS :gah:

Off the top of my head, the Judgement was good although a depressing ending so you might not like that one. In the Penal Colony was also interesting. If you like the Metamorphosis I suggest having a look in your local library or online for collections of his short stories as some are very short and a lot of them really make you think (even if many of those thoughts are WTF :tongue: ).
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol :P
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

A very well written novella in which the real siddhartha is on his way to find epiphany for his own and in his way of life.
Reply 11
The Importance of Being a Bachelor by Mike Gayle
Reply 12
Edexcel AS Biology by Ann Fullick
Reply 13
A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
Ashamed to say that I'm not reading anything at the minute. :ashamed2:
About 250 academic papers. Serves me right for choosing interdisciplinarity.
Original post by Michiyo

I know this very well. Is it the short story where Gregor Samsa was turning into a cockroach overnight what changed Gregor's personality and the life of his family? that is very nice. I didn't expect that there are admirers of Kafka on TSR. I was always fascinating about his cryptical writing. :h:
Original post by Michiyo

I still haven't read that. How are you finding it?

I recently read Kafka's 'The Castle' and am about to start reading 'The Trial' :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
This thread.
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending