The Student Room Group

Can I still get into oxford / cambridge with my BAD GCSE results?

I was really hoping to attend Oxbridge (mostly due to my father) to do law, but my GCSE results were disappointing, to say the least, and I was wondering if this means that I have absoluitely ZERO chance of getting in? I am doing A - levels in Chemistry, History and English literature. These were my results:
Mathematics -B
Mathematics, numeracy - A
English language - A*
English literature - A
Welsh - B
Welsh literature - C
Geography - C
History - B
Chemistry - A
Physics - C
Biology - C
Welsh Baccalaureate - A

(I am hoping to achieve AAA in my A - levels)

How slim, exactly, do you believe my chances are?
This is honestly the most raw "are my GCSEs good enough for medicine" thread

You need to do biology a level and why do medicine which is soooo science based when you did average on it for GCSEs
Original post by bluecrazer
I was really hoping to attend Oxbridge (mostly due to my father) to do law, but my GCSE results were disappointing, to say the least, and I was wondering if this means that I have absoluitely ZERO chance of getting in? I am doing A - levels in Chemistry, History and English literature. These were my results:
Mathematics -B
Mathematics, numeracy - A
English language - A*
English literature - A
Welsh - B
Welsh literature - C
Geography - C
History - B
Chemistry - A
Physics - C
Biology - C
Welsh Baccalaureate - A

(I am hoping to achieve AAA in my A - levels)

How slim, exactly, do you believe my chances are?

Your problem is that Oxford would view those GCSE's unfavorably, but your A level predictions are too low for Cambridge - their standard law offer is A*AA and the majority of offer holders end up achieving higher than that. Unless you can get better A level predictions, your chances are fairly low I'm afraid.
Reply 3
Original post by Emerald7770
This is honestly the most raw "are my GCSEs good enough for medicine" thread

You need to do biology a level and why do medicine which is soooo science based when you did average on it for GCSEs

Would you like to re-read my initial post and realise that you misread? As I want to do LAW, not medicine (god no, my father is a consultant psychiatrist and I know first-hand how horrible any job in medicine can be).
(edited 6 years ago)
Would you like to re-read my initial post and realise that you misread as I want to do LAW, not medicine (god no, my father is a consultant psychiatrist and I know first-hand how horrible that job can be).

Omggggggggg I thought I saw medicine!! All these threads that I'm used to seeing have made me like this! Blame them!

You have a chance in getting into law. My cousin did law and he mostly got c's for GCSEs but did get AAB for his a levels
You have a shot at Cambridge if you work hard (not sure about oxford).
Reply 6
I was really hoping to attend Oxbridge (mostly due to my father)

I stopped at that point. That's not a good reason...
Reply 7
Original post by angelike1
You have a shot at Cambridge if you work hard (not sure about oxford).

Cambridge requires A*AA for Law. A prediction below that is unlikely to be successful, especially if the GCSEs are also "below average".
I have no idea

You could focus on smashing a levels then applying post a level to cambridge (need A*AA minimum, you seem motivated enough)

Chill bro
Original post by Doonesbury
Cambridge requires A*AA for Law. A prediction below that is unlikely to be successful, especially if the GCSEs are also "below average".

Oh I was referring to his GCSEs.

If he does really well this year I'm sure he can get decent predictions, as well as getting a decent score in the entry test, a decent personal statement etc.
Original post by Doonesbury
I stopped at that point. That's not a good reason...

Same, that line got me thinking that if all these 'Are my GCSEs good enough for Oxbridge' threads that people post just want to go to Oxbridge to please their mum and dad. Except for law I wouldn't go to Oxbridge mainly because the work you have to do at Oxbridge is SO MUCH than a normal university hence why their entry requirements are high.
Yeah i know, i wanna know the answer too 😂😂
Reply 13
Original post by angelike1
Oh I was referring to his GCSEs.

If he does really well this year I'm sure he can get decent predictions, as well as getting a decent score in the entry test, a decent personal statement etc.

Yup, that would all help. :smile:

Quick Reply