The Student Room Group

Gf banned me from having female friends

Don't want to give too much details but basically my gf has said I'm not allowed to have any female friends at all. I don't have any anyway as I'm not so confident but they fact that she said she can't really hurts me. She gets very jealous all the time and always worries i will find someone else or something
Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Attempting to sustain any kind of stable, emotionally-fulfilling long-term partnership with someone this profoundly unhinged is a colossal waste of your self-esteem.
Reply 2
She also makes me msg her constantly when I'm out, and take pictures as if she doest trust where I am
Try buying her sum flowers
Original post by Anonymous
Don't want to give too much details but basically my gf has said I'm not allowed to have any female friends at all. I don't have any anyway as I'm not so confident but they fact that she said she can't really hurts me. She gets very jealous all the time and always worries i will find someone else or something
Any advice?

Just dont cheat on her. I am sure she is a trouble one if u want to break up in the future haha so good luck
That sounds really controlling. Have you spoken to your gf about this?
my man, im sorry, but you are WHIPPED
Reply 7
Any advice?

have you given her any reason to not want you having female friends?

is it purely down to her jealousy? or have you been a naughty boy in the past?
Reply 8
Is she allowed to have male friends? It seems perfectly reasonable only if the same applies to her too but if she has male friends then she's a ****ing hypocrite
As @Profresh said, this is a massive red flag. Somebody who is kind and cares for you should not attempt to control you in such a way, or any way at all, frankly.

I'd say leave her because of this behavior. If you're dead set on her, for whatever reason, then talk it out with her. If she refuses to budge, as it seems she might, then you can either leave her after this, or just accept being controlled.

I'd sooner have the former.
I don't think you should be with someone who is so controlling that they have an impact on your social life :erm:
get rid of her
I know two people who had girlfriends like this. Rather than dealing with the problem, they assumed that she would change. They ended up getting married and now they're miserable with a kid. A boyfriend, girlfriend, husband or wife is meant to be your equal partner and trust is key. You wouldn't go rock climbing with someone you didn't trust, why would you possibly spend you life with someone like this.

You *need* to talk to her about this. Listen to her concerns, because clearly she has a ton of insecurity, and ask how you can make her feel more secure (without giving up your freedom to be an adult). Give her time, but if she can't change, you need to consider saying goodbye.

If you're not happy, whats the point?
How old are you and how long have you been together? Make her feel more confident.She will become less controlling once she feels you only want her. Trust will come.
Dump her and find someone who isn't so controlling.
Where someone says their boyfriend or girlfriend does not allow them to do something, this for me is a sign for the relationship to end. Permission should really only be about what is acceptable (or not) in the bedroom where consent of both people is essential.
iiii
Reply 17
Any advice?

A relationship like that is doomed to fail unless she manages to control herself. Might be worth checking what is causing her to be so possessive as it might be a bad experience in a previous relationship. But you need to figure it out because possessiveness and jealousy at that level easily turn the relationship into emotionally and sometimes physically abusive one.
Any advice?
Break the hell up with her. She's using your own lack of self-confidence as a weapon to perpetuate itself, to keep you under control, and thus make her feel more powerful.

Stand your ground. Tell her:

She has no place telling you who you can be friends with.

She has no place being jealous.

She's scared you'll find someone else because she knows she's not good enough for you.

She's now single.

Give her no choice in the matter, and if she makes a fuss, just ignore her/speak over her.

Protip: speak from the diaphragm, it makes your voice project better and makes you sound more confident.
Reply 19
It sounds like she doesn't trust you. At all.

I think you should talk to her about why she doesn't trust you and ask her to make an effort to be more comfortable (i.e. less insecure) in the relationship.

To be honest though, people can't change overnight, and you'll have to ask yourself whether you're okay with helping her through it, or whether it would be better to move on and find a girl who's able to handle a relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest