The Student Room Group

LSE

I want the honest truth, I can take it so don't hold back.

I'm not going to babble on like my last post. Predicted A*AA Maths History Econ, Got a decent personal statement not done anything too spectacular. Worst part is I got 1A* 5A 3B at GCSE. I know this is completely below the typical 5A* plus candidate and so will I be completely rejected. I can hardly decide on any unis and this was an aspirational target. Should I still apply or is there 0 chance at all?
???
Original post by JohnGreek
You can apply, but I'd expect an early rejection. Most applicants miss their predicted offers, so that A*AA is a bit risky. In addition, there's the issue of GCSEs, which are both unexceptional, and lacking in number (I would get it if someone got 4A*s 9As and lost out on the A*s due to a high number of GCSEs and the heaps of material that they would have to get through, but 9 GCSEs shouldn't have been that tough).

Perhaps try applying to unis with AAA offers?

Our school only offered 9 and I didn't even revise for anything that's why my gcses are poor. And so you mean they expect people to be predicted atleast A*A*A?
Reply 3
You have 5 options take a risk and apply you don't want to regret it
Original post by GCSE2016Troop

I'm not going to babble on like my last post. Predicted A*AA Maths History Econ, Got a decent personal statement not done anything too spectacular. Worst part is I got 1A* 5A 3B at GCSE. I know this is completely below the typical 5A* plus candidate and so will I be completely rejected. I can hardly decide on any unis and this was an aspirational target. Should I still apply or is there 0 chance at all?

If you went to a pretty "meh" secondary school and your GCSE's were one of the best amongst your cohort, I don't see a reason not to apply to be honest. I think you should apply and so..

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by GCSE2016Troop

Work on your personal statement and try to include clever stuff that not others will have.

LSE can be that one ambitious option however tbh its more competitive than cambridge econ so you're probably going to get rejected. You're more realistically going to have chance at a university that cares less about GCSEs and about further maths too. Look at something like Nottingham which is a great uni too.
"Not even revising for anything" isn't the best of excuses. Try putting that on your P.S. You reap what you sow.

From LSE's website: http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2017/BSc-Economics
"Applicants should also have already achieved a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A and A*, or equivalent. Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B. We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile, and your AS grades, if available.
Competition for places at the School is high. This means that even if you are predicted or if you achieve the grades that meet our usual standard offer, this will not guarantee you an offer of admission. Usual standard offers are intended only as a guide, and in some cases applicants will be asked for grades which differ from this."

Offer grades are the minimum when you're applying to LSE. This isn't some bottom-feeding institution that lets people in through the back door for its flagship course. The fact that you're only predicted a grade that barely meets the offer, and that 5 out of 6 students nationwide miss theirs, would make me very hesitant to accept you as a student admissions officer. Why would I give away a place to someone who hasn't proven their worth to me through their achieved grades, and whose predicted grades (which they are likely to miss, even marginally) only barely meet the entrance threshold?

Savage
Original post by Ze Witcher
If you went to a pretty "meh" secondary school and your GCSE's were one of the best amongst your cohort, I don't see a reason not to apply to be honest. I think you should apply and so..

Good luck!

I went to a very very poor school like I'm talking inadequate report from ofsted haha and yeah I was one of the best in my year. I got to one of the best colleges in my city now though
"Not even revising for anything" isn't the best of excuses. Try putting that on your P.S. You reap what you sow.

From LSE's website: http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2017/BSc-Economics
"Applicants should also have already achieved a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A and A*, or equivalent. Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B. We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile, and your AS grades, if available.
Competition for places at the School is high. This means that even if you are predicted or if you achieve the grades that meet our usual standard offer, this will not guarantee you an offer of admission. Usual standard offers are intended only as a guide, and in some cases applicants will be asked for grades which differ from this."

Offer grades are the minimum when you're applying to LSE. This isn't some bottom-feeding institution that lets people in through the back door for its flagship course. The fact that you're only predicted a grade that barely meets the offer, and that 5 out of 6 students nationwide miss theirs, would make me very hesitant to accept you as a student admissions officer. Why would I give away a place to someone who hasn't proven their worth to me through their achieved grades, and whose predicted grades (which they are likely to miss, even marginally) only barely meet the entrance threshold?

Well what other excuse is there? I revised a good amount for one subject and that was my A* subject. That's in the past now anyway but yeah my head wasn't in it. The bit about the gcse part on LSE's website is alarming so prob is no point in me applying, even though others are saying try it.
OP dw
Original post by hannah00
OP dw

What?
Sad but true

Sure, apply, but expect a rejection. I could tell you to apply for Harvard with an intended major in Econ as well. There's a tiny chance that the stars will align and you'll get in, but it wouldn't be good advice.

The reason I was so harsh on the GCSE results is that you can explain the reason behind them to anyone in person, but the admissions office isn't going to be interested unless they were the product of some severe disadvantage beyond your control (e.g. bereavement, absolutely terrible school, etc). Even then, extenuating circumstances don't prove that you're a top student, only that you're not a bad one. They need to be accompanied by other, solid grades, which, in your case, don't exist (given that you weren't being given a chance to compensate for sub-par GCSEs through AS exams).

I was expecting rejection that's why I wasn't planning on applying, I was just checking to see if there was a possibility as I didn't want to regret it in the future.

As for GCSEs, I wasn't planning on giving an excuse for them but my school was in the bottom 0.8% in the country so yes I did go to a very bad school.
The only AS grade I have to show is my A in AS maths but apart from that like you said my other two subjects are linear and so have no grade to prove my worth.

Quick Reply

Latest