The Student Room Group

Imperial or Cambridge Medicine

Hi I'm currently really unsure about whether to apply for Imperial or Cambridge as my first choice. I prefer the course as Imperial and also London as a city is always a plus. I also feel that Imperial would be slightly less stressful however Cambridge does have that higher prestige and I like the college system in place. Overall I feel like Imperial's the smarter choice but Cambridge is somewhere I've always wanted to go and I think that I would regret not trying for this opportunity. Please could someone help me with this. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't you apply for both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ludovik
Hi I'm currently really unsure about whether to apply for Imperial or Cambridge as my first choice. I prefer the course as Imperial and also London as a city is always a plus. I also feel that Imperial would be slightly less stressful however Cambridge does have that higher prestige and I like the college system in place. Overall I feel like Imperial's the smarter choice but Cambridge is somewhere I've always wanted to go and I think that I would regret not trying for this opportunity. Please could someone help me with this. Thank you.

What do you mean "first choice"? When you apply to unis all 5 choices are equal. You only decide on your first choice after you've got all your offers/rejections back.

It's quite likely that one of the unis will reject you, making the choice for you, and even if you get both offers you have until May to decide on your firm and insurance. No need to worry now.
Reply 3
Original post by PP112
Can't you apply for both?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would rather not apply to both as I think it's way too risky
Reply 4
Original post by sindyscape62
What do you mean "first choice"? When you apply to unis all 5 choices are equal. You only decide on your first choice after you've got all your offers/rejections back.

It's quite likely that one of the unis will reject you, making the choice for you, and even if you get both offers you have until May to decide on your firm and insurance. No need to worry now.

I mean first choice as in if I was to get an offer from one of the unis I would firm it.
Wait until you get offers then decide.
Reply 6
Original post by JammieDodger27
Wait until you get offers then decide.

I only want to apply to one of the two since I think both would be too risky that's why I'm deciding now.
Original post by Ludovik
I would rather not apply to both as I think it's way too risky

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Applying to medicine is risky. You can have top marks, all the experience and great references and still not get in.
Reply 8
Original post by squeakysquirrel
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Applying to medicine is risky. You can have top marks, all the experience and great references and still not get in.

Yes I know medicine is risky so I don't want to apply to 2 top unis
Original post by Ludovik
I only want to apply to one of the two since I think both would be too risky that's why I'm deciding now.

I would not consider Imperial a risky choice, as long as you can get the A*AA. It doesn't have a particularly high applicant to offer ratio and its BMAT requirements are lower than that of Oxbridge.

It sounds like you'd prefer Imperial. You should apply to Imperial.

Original post by squeakysquirrel

Perhaps you're missing the point? They don't want to apply to two BMAT unis as its quite risky. That is entirely sensible.
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
I would not consider Imperial a risky choice, as long as you can get the A*AA. It doesn't have a particularly high applicant to offer ratio and its BMAT requirements are lower than that of Oxbridge.

It sounds like you'd prefer Imperial. You should apply to Imperial.

Perhaps you're missing the point? They don't want to apply to two BMAT unis as its quite risky. That is entirely sensible.

Ok thanks for your reply. I'm still really torn that's my problem.
Original post by Ludovik
Ok thanks for your reply. I'm still really torn that's my problem.

Why do you want "prestige"? Given it has little to no impact on your job applications, it seems very superficial.

The college system is pretty great and a legit reason but it seems like your other preferences, like wanting to live in London, outweigh that. No?
In that case, think about which university you have higher chances of getting into and apply for that. Cambridge is said to interview 90% of its applicants, then start filtering from there (other exams are taken into consideration during final decision). Imperial, on the other hand, looks at your GCSE, BMAT, UCAS application etc. before inviting for interviews. They have a cut off score and you may want to check that out and compare it with your own prediction of your BMAT score. If you aren't doing too well, you can take your chance with Cambridge.

In my opinion, you should ignore prestige of the university when choosing between Imperial and Cambridge. Both are regarded extremely highly and it wouldn't make a difference where you graduated from.

Cambridge's medical course has just intense, hardcore science and theory for the first 3 years and limited patient contact. If you're interested in research, Cambridge is a good idea. Imperial gives you more clinical contact. Also think about the possibility of transferring schools. I'm not sure if this exists, you should factcheck. If I'm not wrong, you can transfer from Cambridge to Imperial for your clinical years.

Please recheck on all I've said as I may not be correct! Hope this helps.
Reply 13
Why do you want "prestige"? Given it has little to no impact on your job applications, it seems very superficial.

The college system is pretty great and a legit reason but it seems like your other preferences, like wanting to live in London, outweigh that. No?

I guess I feel that Cambridge something like once a lifetime opportunity and I have wanted to go there for a very long time
Reply 14
Original post by tekinashots
In that case, think about which university you have higher chances of getting into and apply for that. Cambridge is said to interview 90% of its applicants, then start filtering from there (other exams are taken into consideration during final decision). Imperial, on the other hand, looks at your GCSE, BMAT, UCAS application etc. before inviting for interviews. They have a cut off score and you may want to check that out and compare it with your own prediction of your BMAT score. If you aren't doing too well, you can take your chance with Cambridge.

In my opinion, you should ignore prestige of the university when choosing between Imperial and Cambridge. Both are regarded extremely highly and it wouldn't make a difference where you graduated from.

Cambridge's medical course has just intense, hardcore science and theory for the first 3 years and limited patient contact. If you're interested in research, Cambridge is a good idea. Imperial gives you more clinical contact. Also think about the possibility of transferring schools. I'm not sure if this exists, you should factcheck. If I'm not wrong, you can transfer from Cambridge to Imperial for your clinical years.

Please recheck on all I've said as I may not be correct! Hope this helps.

I think I have a similar chance at both university so I would rather focus on which one I would like to go to should I receive an offer.
Original post by Ludovik
I guess I feel that Cambridge something like once a lifetime opportunity and I have wanted to go there for a very long time

So no specific reason except your 5 year old self liked the general idea once.

I don't think its a good reason but its up to you.
Reply 16
Going to a prestigious university doesn't matter in medicine. You will all get the same job regardless and when u are applying for jobs in your 5th year your uni won't even be shown to the hospitals you are applying for. So I'd say go for imperial. It's 5 years compared to 6 years in the Cambridge med choice(unless u want to intercalate) and u get to work in a London hospital where there is more diversity, actions and all sorts of diseases. Unlike Cambridge hospitals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
IThey don't want to apply to two BMAT unis as its quite risky. That is entirely sensible.

Is it risky? Wouldn't 2 BMAT and 2 UKCAT be a valid strategy? Or 4 BMAT if you did less well in UKCAT?

(I know *nothing* about medicine admissions, clearly...)
Original post by Doonesbury
Is it risky? Wouldn't 2 BMAT and 2 UKCAT be a valid strategy? Or 4 BMAT if you did less well in UKCAT?

(I know *nothing* about medicine admissions, clearly...)

So the BMAT is taken after you apply. There are 6 unis that use it. The UKCAT is done before you apply. There are 27 unis that use it.

In general I would say that applying to 1 BMAT uni is an acceptable risk, two is risky but may be worth it, 3 is suicide.

Of course it depends on other factors though - if you have a UKCAT so poor that you stand 0 chance at the 27, then it's possible applying to 4 BMATs is your best option! But in general I stick to the above rule. As long as your UKCAT is ok, BMAT unis always present inherent risk.

That might change next year, as you will be able to take the bmat in September.
Reply 19
So the BMAT is taken after you apply. There are 6 unis that use it. The UKCAT is done before you apply. There are 27 unis that use it.

In general I would say that applying to 1 BMAT uni is an acceptable risk, two is risky but may be worth it, 3 is suicide.

Of course it depends on other factors though - if you have a UKCAT so poor that you stand 0 chance at the 27, then it's possible applying to 4 BMATs is your best option! But in general I stick to the above rule. As long as your UKCAT is ok, BMAT unis always present inherent risk.

That might change next year, as you will be able to take the bmat in September.

Ok, cool. Although I think the September BMAT is already a thing.

Yup, it is: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat-september/about-bmat-september/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending