The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi - please need clarification on how Glasgow assess applicants. They do not score PS but they read it. So is it only based on UKCAT? Also as an EU applicant will I be at a disadvantage applying to Scotland? Is a score of 688 competitive for Glasgow?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey ,
My stats are :

GCSE's - 9A* - 1B (First Language English)

UKCAT - Total 2710, average 678

SJT - Band 1

Predicted A levels: 4 A*

I have a decent amount of volunteer work and shadowing in hospital

I was thinking of applying to Glasgow, Barts, Edinburgh and Birmingham . Any advice?Appreciate it
Firstly, another huge thank you for Ganfyd and medad for all their support here who are extremely kind in sharing information that for the most part, applicants could find themselves by doing their own research!

I do have a question though Ganfyd if I may. Southampton: We know they are a bit quiet about their selection process. My understanding is that it was always considered a high ukcat school and not to bother to apply unless scoring 700 +. However, you have indicated that their cut off last year was 650 (or so can't remember the exact number). My question is: could it be that this cut off was for applicants that fit within some widening participation criteria?

I'm just surprise that with such a reputation that I've heard about for the past 3 years, they would actually admit a reasonable number of applicants with score under 680 so am being suspicious!!
Anyone knows what was the UKCAT cutoff for Glasgow last year please? TIA
Original post by swingofthings
Firstly, another huge thank you for Ganfyd and medad for all their support here who are extremely kind in sharing information that for the most part, applicants could find themselves by doing their own research!

I do have a question though Ganfyd if I may. Southampton: We know they are a bit quiet about their selection process. My understanding is that it was always considered a high ukcat school and not to bother to apply unless scoring 700 +. However, you have indicated that their cut off last year was 650 (or so can't remember the exact number). My question is: could it be that this cut off was for applicants that fit within some widening participation criteria?

I'm just surprise that with such a reputation that I've heard about for the past 3 years, they would actually admit a reasonable number of applicants with score under 680 so am being suspicious!!

It's a very good question and one I've often wondered about, not just with ukcat but with Uni's which use other scoring systems. I've just had a quick look on the first page of Southampton's 2017 entry thread. It says there that the 640 cut off for 2016 was for the BM5 course, whereas I think the widening access scheme is BM6.

I don't know about the reputation aspect. Sometimes reputations are out of date, and for 2014 access UKCAT heavy Uni's had very high cut offs (Newcastle for example was 745!)... but that was because of a problem with the comparative difficulty of one of the UKCAT subtests that year. The only one I know of now with a cut off around 700 is Newcastle.

It would be nice if all the Med Schools could be completely transparent about previous cut off scores. Some are, but many are not.
Original post by DvsAmjed
I'm applying for Cardiff, Birmingham/ Leicester, UCL, and Oxford/Cam. Can't choose between Ox and Cam and Bham/ Leicester

GCSE: A**, 10A*, 2A (although 2 are gcse equivalents so could be 9/10A* and 2A) school had 51% 5A*-C (2As in music and astronomy)
AS: AAAA bio, chem, physics, maths all with high raw marks but maths had lower UMS 83% I had mild extenuating circumstances - not very significant though
Predictions: A*A*AA* bio, chem, maths, EPQ
UKCAT: 607.5 avg B2

Bit worried about Oxford not accepting my gcse equivalents but for Cambridge I have low Maths UMS... Also not sure between Bham and Leicester because UKCAT deciles seem quite high - seems like Bham is a more logical choice as they only do 30% UKCAT, right?

You're correct that Birmingham give UKCAT a 30% weighting whereas Leicester give it 50% weighting but the proportion is largely irrelevant. More important is the level of certainty about the cut off score, and which you feel most confident in. If you feel they're equal on that, then go with your gut instinct, as long as you're not worried about the A* requirement at B'ham.

Questions are always welcome, especially about a specific topic and when you have tried to find the answers yourself along the way!

I have no direct knowledge of Southampton, but am incredibly nosy and very persistent, and can usually track stuff down if I put my mind to it. Southampton have proved about the most resistant to this, as even FOI (I do not send them myself-too busy) are unanswered or just passed to their legal department. However, if you follow threads on here long enough, people post things from information they have been sent from the admissions team at Southampton, or as part of feedback following rejection. I have no way of knowing how reliable it is, as if you are not prepared to be upfront and transparent about your admission process, you are probably not prepared to be upfront and transparent about your selection process, if you see what I am saying!
However, the sources who have given the information ARE reliable, and from that, I have gleaned that UKCAT cut off was 640 last year, 640 the year before, 625 for 2015 and 700 for 2014 (the 2 years of weird results due to skewed UKCAT averages).
Now this was the lowest UKCAT average invited for interview amongst school leavers for BM5 (they treat each subgroup for BM5 differently, so was higher for Grads, lower for mature non-grads and overseas). As meddad says, my understanding is that BM6 is the foundation year course for widening access, but as Southampton is about as far away from me as you can get, and I have no faith in people who cannot be clear about their criteria, I have never paid a lot of attention to their exact criteria, so they may have widening participation applicants on BM5 (no doubt someone will pop up with the answer to this!). Again, as meddad says, the only med school with a UKCAT cut off that I am aware is reliably above 680 is Newcastle (and they are back-pedalling in this as fast as they can!!).

So, to sum up, I cannot 100% answer your question. I suspect their cut off is much lower than they want people to believe! I suspect around 640-650 is probably about right (it is what Plymouth, SGUL usually work at). I think some people are probably put off applying due to their lack of clarity, and this is actually pushing their cut off DOWN, as a lot of people with averages around 650-680 are scared to apply as they don't know if they are competitive, and usually have other choices. There is a lot of fear around what represents a "good" UKCAT score, and generally, anything around 650+ is good enough for most places if you have good academics (the exceptions being Newcastle, Glasgow, Manchester and now Sheffield). This doesn't mean that the average UKCAT that people who are successful at getting an interview have is not much higher (and this is a figure that is often bandied around), but that is pretty useless, as each one of you want to know if YOUR score is going to be enough! Generally most med schools have a pretty over-inflated opinion of their own importance and like to make themselves look as special as possible!!

Not sure if that rather waffley answer helps at all? For me, if I had other choices, I would direct them somewhere where I could more clearly assess what my likelihood of success would be (in the same way I would avoid unis relying on PS), but if I didn't, I would guesstimate a cut-off at whatever 640-650 was on the deciles the last 2 years, scaled to this year's results.
GCSEs: 5 A*s, 5 As, 1 B
AS: AAAB (B in further mathematics which I have dropped)
A2 Predictions: A*AA/AAA
UKCAT: 740 Avg Band 2

Really not sure as to where I should apply besides QMUL. I believe my personal statement is the weakest part of my application so I would rather not apply for those that score personal statements, such as QMUL which I think only use it to help during interview? Would appreciate any help/advice. :smile:
Cheers
Canadian undergraduate applicant here. My stats are:
Physics 11: 85%
Physics 12: 90%
Chemistry 11: 91%
Chemistry 12: 95%
Biology 11: 90%
Biology 12: 94%
Math 12: 92%
Calculus: 93%
UKCAT: average 707.5 and Band 1

It's difficult to decipher what schools I actually have a chance in, so any and all advice would be appreciated! Especially specific school to check out and avoid!
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you meddad and Ganfyd for your response. I think you are very right about your suspicion that fewer students apply to their programme due to the uncertainty, but still something is odd. Someone just posted on the Southampton thread that supposedly, for the M5 course last year, they only received 252 applicants, which is incredibly low. Still, they say they only offered 20 places, which seems incredibly low. However, that could explain the low cut off as this could be only one applicant, on exceptional circumstances, out of the 20 chosen who could all have very high UKCAT.

As you have both said before, schools can do what they want and if they feel they can get the best applicants from their selection process, then that's their prerogative, but they are indeed clearly putting applicants off. 20 offers though for 20 places, really?
Thank you meddad and Ganfyd for your response. I think you are very right about your suspicion that fewer students apply to their programme due to the uncertainty, but still something is odd. Someone just posted on the Southampton thread that supposedly, for the M5 course last year, they only received 252 applicants, which is incredibly low. Still, they say they only offered 20 places, which seems incredibly low. However, that could explain the low cut off as this could be only one applicant, on exceptional circumstances, out of the 20 chosen who could all have very high UKCAT.

As you have both said before, schools can do what they want and if they feel they can get the best applicants from their selection process, then that's their prerogative, but they are indeed clearly putting applicants off. 20 offers though for 20 places, really?

I think that's grad applicants to the 5 year course, and one of the 20's quoted is probably an error.

The stats for general undergrad entry were reported as 636 applicants, 432 interviews, 250 offers for 126 places.
Original post by ukcatpanic
Canadian undergraduate applicant here. My stats are:
Physics 11: 85%
Physics 12: 90%
Chemistry 11: 91%
Chemistry 12: 95%
Biology 11: 90%
Biology 12: 94%
Math 12: 92%
Calculus: 93%
UKCAT: average 707.5 and Band 1

It's difficult to decipher what schools I actually have a chance in, so any and all advice would be appreciated! Especially specific school to check out and avoid!

I would struggle giving you comprehensive advice because i have no idea what your qualifications equate to in uk, or what the entry requirements are for international applicants.

If you were a uk home applicant then as long as you met minimum academic requirements, then your good ukcat score would make you very competitive at Sheffield, Southampton, Plymouth, Manchester and borderline for Newcastle. These are just ones I know about.

You could try investigating those as a start.
GCSEs: 9A*s 3As
AS: A in maths
A Level predictions: A*A*A*A*
UKCAT: 730 Band 2

I was wondering whether I have a decent chance of an interview at King's? I'm applying to 3 BMAT universities, so I don't want to choose a UKCAT uni where I have a very small chance of an interview. Are they a GCSE heavy or UKCAT heavy university?
Hi ive got:
GCSE’s 5A* 5A’s
AS AAAB
A level predictions AAA
UKCAT 612.5
I’m thinking of applying to Keele, Bristol, UEA and Aberdeen. Are these reasonable choices?
Original post by Crème brûlée
GCSEs: 9A*s 3As
AS: A in maths
A Level predictions: A*A*A*A*
UKCAT: 730 Band 2

I was wondering whether I have a decent chance of an interview at King's? I'm applying to 3 BMAT universities, so I don't want to choose a UKCAT uni where I have a very small chance of an interview. Are they a GCSE heavy or UKCAT heavy university?

Why on earth would you risk 3 BMAT universities with that UKCAT?!?!?!

Apply to Kings and another UKCAT heavy uni (like Newcastle). You're turning down guaranteed interviews otherwise.
Original post by ForestCat
Why on earth would you risk 3 BMAT universities with that UKCAT?!?!?!

Apply to Kings and another UKCAT heavy uni (like Newcastle). You're turning down guaranteed interviews otherwise.

I know how risky it is, and I realised that I'm kind of wasting my UKCAT score. I chose my unis mainly based on their courses, because I love science and genuinely want a course that's as traditional as possible. I've tried a few BMAT past papers and definitely find it easier than the UKCAT, and I'm also willing to take a gap year if stuff doesn't quite go to plan (was seriously considering a deferred entry anyway). I've spoken to sooo many people and asked for advice, and I think I'm just gonna go for it :smile:
Hi everyone. I'm really stuck at the moment as I'm not sure where to apply with my stats.

GCSE: 10 A* (at a well performing school however)
UKCAT : 670 AVG Band 2 (not my finest moment I'll admit)
A level predictions: A*AA (teachers are debating whether I should have A*A*A :/ )

So far I've chosen UCL and Birmingham. I'm incredibly stuck on the other 2. I was thinking Bristol ( but it's a bit risky considering they use the personal statement for 50% of the whole application). Where else do you guys think I have a decent shot at an interview (I know there are no guarantees but it's nice to know my odds)

Also, I've decided PBL isn't really my thing, so a heavy PBL course isn't the most exciting prospect. Also, I'd like to be slightly closer to home (London) so maybe max. 3 hour journey?

I know I sound super fussy, but I'm just so confused atm and some advice/ guidance would be nice. Thanks so much!
Original post by amjam441
Hi everyone. I'm really stuck at the moment as I'm not sure where to apply with my stats.

GCSE: 10 A* (at a well performing school however)
UKCAT : 670 AVG Band 2 (not my finest moment I'll admit)
A level predictions: A*AA (teachers are debating whether I should have A*A*A :/ )

So far I've chosen UCL and Birmingham. I'm incredibly stuck on the other 2. I was thinking Bristol ( but it's a bit risky considering they use the personal statement for 50% of the whole application). Where else do you guys think I have a decent shot at an interview (I know there are no guarantees but it's nice to know my odds)

Also, I've decided PBL isn't really my thing, so a heavy PBL course isn't the most exciting prospect. Also, I'd like to be slightly closer to home (London) so maybe max. 3 hour journey?

I know I sound super fussy, but I'm just so confused atm and some advice/ guidance would be nice. Thanks so much!

You'd stand a good shot at most places so you need to look at course structure/location etc and see what takes your fancy.

Cardiff would be a good shot with those GCSEs and you'd score well at Leicester.

You can take your pick really.
Hi guys, does anyone realistically know what UCL's average gcses are? I didn't do great at A*, 9A, and a C. My A level results are A*AA in bio chem and maths respectively, so i want to know my chances of an interview
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi ive got: GCSE’s 5A* 5A’s AS AAAB A level predictions AAA UKCAT 612.5 I’m thinking of applying to Keele, Bristol and Aberdeen and one of St Andrews, UEA or Liverpool as risky options. Are these reasonable choices?

Latest

Trending

Trending