The Student Room Group

Has anyone tried Temp Agencies to get fist job?

I'd take temp work over no work at all.

Has anyone tried them and actually go their first job albeit temp or not?
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
I'd take temp work over no work at all.

Has anyone tried them and actually go their first job albeit temp or not?

My first job was through an agency and the contract was ongoing (but I voluntarily left for a permanent position elsewhere).
I can see why people (particularly graduates) would decline temp jobs for obvious reasons but if it is an ongoing job then at least you're gaining experience which is what most employers require nowadays and what most people lack. Most importantly - you get paid for it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AngelsandFairies
My first job was through an agency and the contract was ongoing (but I voluntarily left for a permanent position elsewhere).
I can see why people (particularly graduates) would decline temp jobs for obvious reasons but if it is an ongoing job then at least you're gaining experience which is what most employers require nowadays and what most people lack. Most importantly - you get paid for it.

So, did you get your first job post-University? And how long was it before you was actually put on a temp contract?
So, did you get your first job post-University? And how long was it before you was actually put on a temp contract?

It took me about 2 months after graduation (in 2014) to find my first full time job. Although it was temporary it did help me with future job applications and interviews.
I've had an interview recently for a permanent role and got the job on the spot because of my work ethic as there are no gaps on my CV. Thats what employers look for - to see if there are any gaps otherwise they may think you are determined enough to get a job.
Original post by AngelsandFairies
It took me about 2 months after graduation (in 2014) to find my first full time job. Although it was temporary it did help me with future job applications and interviews.
I've had an interview recently for a permanent role and got the job on the spot because of my work ethic as there are no gaps on my CV. Thats what employers look for - to see if there are any gaps otherwise they may think you are determined enough to get a job.

That is great. I have an assessment/interview for a Temp agency today which is part of the government. So, hopefully, I can turn it into a permanent position down the line.
That is great. I have an assessment/interview for a Temp agency today which is part of the government. So, hopefully, I can turn it into a permanent position down the line.

If it's working for the government it won't be permanent. Most of the roles are on a rolling contract. I did a temp contract at a government place but decided to move on and found a permanent position elsewhere. It was only a few months later that I found out the centre had closed down.
You've heard the story about government jobs - they are never safe as the government always try to find a way of saving money and that includes decreasing jobs!

Also just noticed from my post that I should've wrote 'having gaps on a CV shows to the employer that you have no determination and motivation to move onto a role!' :facepalm: :p:
(edited 6 years ago)
Nothing wrong with temping when you're fresh out of university. I did it, it's better than not working. It can be an excellent way to build up your CV as in some industries, almost all junior staff that get hired come in as temps/contractors.

The important thing is to take it as it is. Many recruitment agencies will make all sorts of exaggerations and lies just to get you in the door so they get their commission. Make sure you stay in the mindset that it is temporary, don't go in there expecting a permanent position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending