The Student Room Group

Teacher refusing to teach the D1 module

So I have a new maths teacher for the second year of college, and even though supposedly he has a phd in maths, he cannot teach.
He is awful, doesn't explain anything, doesn't answer questions, and is generally useless in every way possible.
We are 2 weeks in and have learned pretty much nothing. He also keeps jumping around topics.
He also said that he will not spend any lessons teaching us D1 because it is easy and a waste of lesson time.
Honestly, even if it is easy I don't want to self teach myself it because he is there to teach me? Is he allowed to just skip a part of the course? He sets D1 topics as hw for us to learn and then "tests" us on it. I hate doing it this way.
Me and my friends are planning to complain on him soon. I am trying to find out if he is allowed to not teach a module, does anyone know of any rules about this or just some information about a teacher not teaching the whole course?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Definitely complain, he's supposed to teach you!! I'm not sure about rules and regulations but it's seem very wrong that's he's not teaching you D1, and you shouldn't be disadvantaged like this.
Hope you can get this sorted asap
Reply 2
Submit an extenuating circumstances form, and profit off the lowered grades required by the uni.
Original post by Kara1617
So I have a new maths teacher for the second year of college, and even though supposedly he has a phd in maths, he cannot teach.
He is awful, doesn't explain anything, doesn't answer questions, and is generally useless in every way possible.
We are 2 weeks in and have learned pretty much nothing. He also keeps jumping around topics.
He also said that he will not spend any lessons teaching us D1 because it is easy and a waste of lesson time.
Honestly, even if it is easy I don't want to self teach myself it because he is there to teach me? Is he allowed to just skip a part of the course? He sets D1 topics as hw for us to learn and then "tests" us on it. I hate doing it this way.
Me and my friends are planning to complain on him soon. I am trying to find out if he is allowed to not teach a module, does anyone know of any rules about this or just some information about a teacher not teaching the whole course?

Go to the Head of Departmentand complain - I'd be furious if one of my team said that! Having a PhD is no guarantee that someone can teach the subject.
Yeah that is bad coming out of a supposed "teacher". If decision maths is supposed to be taught in your college then nobody should be given the idea that it's a waste of time
Reply 5

Which modules are you taking this year? And are you doing only maths or further maths as well?
Reply 6
Original post by Notnek
Which modules are you taking this year? And are you doing only maths or further maths as well?

Just the regular a-level. This year we're doing C3,C4 and D1 and last year S1 was the applied that we did and then of course C1 and C2.
Reply 7
Just the regular a-level. This year we're doing C3,C4 and D1 and last year S1 was the applied that we did and then of course C1 and C2.

Then what your teacher is doing is completely ridiculous. There is plenty of time to teach all three modules and all modules carry the same weight towards the final grade. Many students find D1 easy but plenty of students also find it hard, just like C3 and C4.

As has already been suggested, you should complain to your head of maths.
Reply 8
He sounds like a cool guy if I'm honest. Not a good teacher, but as a person, I'd like him. He's just being savage about D1.
Discuss this with your head of maths. If I'm honest, it depends what he's doing and I don't think there's enough context. If he's setting you chapters to read every week, and offering extra help outside the class to those who need it, fair enough, talk to the head of maths anyway just to inform him. If it's just "you're on your own for this one", then complain hard.
Reply 10
Original post by GrabDrop
He sounds like a cool guy if I'm honest. Not a good teacher, but as a person, I'd like him. He's just being savage about D1.

Yes he is a nice guy and clearly enjoys maths and is good at it but it's just a shame about his poor teaching
Reply 11
Original post by Appleorpear
Discuss this with your head of maths. If I'm honest, it depends what he's doing and I don't think there's enough context. If he's setting you chapters to read every week, and offering extra help outside the class to those who need it, fair enough, talk to the head of maths anyway just to inform him. If it's just "you're on your own for this one", then complain hard.

He doesn't offer any help. He said we have to learn it ourselves. He tells us which part of it every week and it's part of hw

Quick Reply

Latest