The Student Room Group

Science question help

The rate of photosynthesis in the pondweed is affected by light intensity.
Describe a method you could use to investigate this.
You should include:
what you would measure
variables you would control.

[6 marks]
Have you done this practical in class?
Reply 2
Measure the distance between the pondweed beaker and the lamp. Keep size of pondweed, temperature, and volume of water used the same for each test. To work out the rate of each test, count how many Oxygen (o2) bubbles are given off.
Reply 3
Original post by EdexcelAreIdiots
Have you done this practical in class?

Yes, just want to know how to get this question for full marks
Reply 4
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-25 at 20.02.28.jpeg
Attachment not found
Original post by Harry.Y
The rate of photosynthesis in the pondweed is affected by light intensity.
Describe a method you could use to investigate this.
You should include:
what you would measure
variables you would control.

[6 marks]

Hey, I have attaced a pic(hope it's clear) that will give a detailed answer for your question.
You have to measure the temperature to make sure its constant, the number of bubbles formed is also counted to relate to the level of photosynthesis.
Temperature remains constant, while the distance between the lamp and pondweed is controlled.
Hope this helps..
Reply 5
Original post by Thachi3
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-25 at 20.02.28.jpeg
Attachment not found

Hey, I have attaced a pic(hope it's clear) that will give a detailed answer for your question.
You have to measure the temperature to make sure its constant, the number of bubbles formed is also counted to relate to the level of photosynthesis.
Temperature remains constant, while the distance between the lamp and pondweed is controlled.
Hope this helps..

Thank you very much!
Reply 6
How much will i get if I answer this to the question?

"Place a weed in a test tube. You can keep the temperature constant by water bath and to measure using a thermometer. To keep the test fair, place the pond weed in boiling tube with same volume of water. Change the light intensity by moving the lamp so as to alter the distance between lamp and pondweed. Count the amount of bubbles for exactly one minute and no longer, to keep the test fair. Do each experiment 3 times and take an average to spot anomalies easily."
Reply 7
Original post by President Hawk
Well this thread isn't gonna award me with some rep for a witty comment! I'm 'outta' here! *Sprints off frantically in search of another thread*
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So actually you used this website because you wanna get rep from someone and show off?

TBH I think this site is for helping people, the rep is just to motivate you to help people. And gaining rep is to show how helpful you are, but not how cool you are

Thanks a lot
Reply 8
Original post by Harry.Y
How much will i get if I answer this to the question?

"Place a weed in a test tube. You can keep the temperature constant by water bath and to measure using a thermometer. To keep the test fair, place the pond weed in boiling tube with same volume of water. Change the light intensity by moving the lamp so as to alter the distance between lamp and pondweed. Count the amount of bubbles for exactly one minute and no longer, to keep the test fair. Do each experiment 3 times and take an average to spot anomalies easily."

I suppose that's enough for GCSE's cuz according to the mark scheme this is enough. But, I always try to write extra so I advixe you to do so, then even if one point is not right there is always another with which you can score
Reply 9
Original post by Thachi3
I suppose that's enough for GCSE's cuz according to the mark scheme this is enough. But, I always try to write extra so I advixe you to do so, then even if one point is not right there is always another with which you can score

Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Original post by Harry.Y
Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Welcome:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest