The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2018

Hello! Bonjour! ¡Hola! Guten Tag! !مرحبا 你好! Ciao! こんにちは!

I thought I'd make a new thread for all of those who are wanting to apply to do Modern Languages for 2018 entry. It may be early at the moment but hopefully there are many of you who know now that you want to apply for Modern Languages! :h:

Copy and paste this template and tell the thread about yourself and why you want to study these languages!

Name:
A fun fact about yourself:
What languages will you be studying:
Why these languages:
A Level Subjects:
GCSE Grades:
Which universities will you be applying to:
Miscellaneous:

Happy language learning!

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you for making this thread! ☺️
Name: Sophie
A fun fact about yourself: I do musical theatre!
What languages will you be studying: French & Spanish
Why these languages: I've been speaking French for 10 years and Spanish for 5 - I've absolutely fallen in love with both of them
A Level Subjects: French, Spanish, History & Biology
GCSE Grades: 10 A*s and 1 A
Predicted Grades: A* A* A* A*
Which universities will you be applying to: Oxford, UCL, Warwick, Birmingham & Southampton
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi guys.
So glad I've found this.
Name: Charlie
A fun fact about yourself: I will be applying for Drama School alongside Languages.
What languages will you be studying: Spanish and beginners' Chinese or Spanish and beginners' Portuguese (depending on what course I get)
Why these languages: My profiency level in my current study subject (Spanish) has increased so much recently and I want to continue that and work internationally, maybe in human rights, embassies, teaching and with a little theatre work on the side. Portuguese is available at some universities and I like this idea as linguistically, it is very similar to Spanish, and offers up the entirety of South America to me. And Chinese fascinates me, and although will require lots of determination to study, will be worth it with the new international opportunities that it will bring.
A-Level Subjects: Drama and Theatre Studies, English Language and Literature and Spanish (with languages-based EPQ)
Predicted grades: AAA
GCSE Grades: 2A*, 3A, 1B, 3C, 1D
Which universities will you be applying to: Bangor, Belfast and Southampton.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Name: Blessing

What languages will you be studying: I will be applying for French and Spanish

Fun Fact: I love banana but I really dislike bananas loool

Why these languages: I've been in love with French since the beginning of time and I've visited Spain a lot over the years and have always wanted to learn it so why not!

A Level Subjects: French, English Lit, Government and Politics (did History at AS and will be dropping)

Predicted A Level Grades: A* A* AWhich universities will you be applying to: Warwick, Leeds, Nottingham, NN2 and Leicester
(edited 6 years ago)
Guess I'll fill mine out for good measure!

Name: Rex

A fun fact about yourself: I have no cousins!

What languages will you be studying: Spanish and Arabic

Why these languages: Spanish has been my favourite language during A Levels, and I can picture myself living in a Spanish speaking country when I'm older. I'm also really interested in the Arab world, and feel as though being at least proficient in Arabic will be a massive bonus in the future. It sounds so interesting as well!

A Level Subjects: French, Spanish, History (and AS Classical Civilisation)

A Level Predicted Grades: A*AA (Spanish, French, History - the French and History department have expressed that I could get an A* but put a lower grade on the form as those subjects are notorious for being difficult to achieve an A*)

GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*AABBBB

Which universities will you be applying to: Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Manchester, Leeds

Miscellaneous: I have no idea how Year 13 will pan out, I loved AS year but I feel as though A2 year will be unbelievably stressful. :redface:
(edited 6 years ago)
Name: Georgia
A fun fact about yourself: I hope to do a joint honours with History.
What languages will you be studying: German
Why these languages: I've really enjoyed learning languages since primary school and it relates to the history I'm interested in.
A Level Subjects: History, Economics and English Literature
GCSE Grades: 2As, 7Bs, 1C
Which universities will you be applying to: So far, I'm thinking of applying to Exeter and Nottingham. It's just going to open days and deciding at this point in time
Miscellaneous: I'll be doing it ab initio as I never got to study German at school. I did French to GCSE level and wanted to continue it to A-Level, but my school scrapped A-Level Languages last year.
Name: Chloe
A fun fact about yourself: Hellooooo. I am currently on a gap year after failing to get into uni this year !!! I got ABC in Philosophy, French & Maths and so will be retaking French and Maths to hopefully get AAA or above. I missed my Durham AAA offer, and also my Exeter AAB one too. I failed, but its not the end of the world and I'm going to have a bloody good year in the meantime.:cute: It turns out that resitting exams doesn't disadvantage a reapplication.:colone:

What languages will you be studying: French and Arabic
Why these languages: I lived in France for several years when I was younger and so have always had that connection within me !! I don't want to learn just another European language, and I plan on joining the Army, so Arabic seemed pretty appropriate !
A Level Subjects: French, Philosophy, Maths + Drama to AS level.
GCSE Grades: 7 A*s, 3 As
Which universities will you be applying to: Definitely Durham, Exeter & Edinburgh. For the other two I need to choose between: St Andrews (they seem stingy about retakes), Manchester, Leeds, UCL and SOAS (for the Arabic and World Philosophies course)
Miscellaneous: The dream is Durham, but the Exeter course is really brilliant, so I'd be v happy to go there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Name: Victoria
A fun fact about yourself: I'm Polish and I've been to England only once (so far), I go to regular Polish school, where the teachers don't have the faintest idea about applying to British unis, so I'll probably end up writing my own reference (or at least translating it)
What languages will you be studying: Spanish (definitely) and Linguistics/Portuguese/French (and Catalan is a dream)
Why these languages: I love all Romance languages (k, maybe except for Italian), but Spanish because I speak it the best, I adore Spain, the rest of Spain's languages, the Spanish history (I've read like 1727392 things about The Spanish Civil War), the variety of accents of Spanish (both in Spain and Latin America), and the literature as well.
I've been learning Portuguese on my own for last 3 years, and I love the language even more than Spanish, yet I'm kind of only interested in Portugal, and even that is not like something serious.
And kind of same with French.
Catalan is just asdfghjkl and I probably love it (and everything Catalan) so much because of Catalunya's amazing history.
A Level Subjects: *not doing the A Levels, but the subjects I'm preparing for:* English, Spanish and Geography or Mathematics
GCSE Grades: *no GCSEs in Poland :frown:*
Which universities will you be applying to: Oxford, Edinburgh, Warwick, Southampton, Sheffield
Miscellaneous: Oxford is obviously the goal, but Edinburgh seems to have a great course as well and the fee is low
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
Name: Chloe
A fun fact about yourself: Hellooooo. I am currently on a gap year after failing to get into uni this year !!! I got ABC in Philosophy, French & Maths and so will be retaking French and Maths to hopefully get AAA or above. I missed my Durham AAA offer, and also my Exeter AAB one too. I failed, but its not the end of the world and I'm going to have a bloody good year in the meantime.:cute: It turns out that resitting exams doesn't disadvantage a reapplication.:colone:

What languages will you be studying: French and Arabic
Why these languages: I lived in France for several years when I was younger and so have always had that connection within me !! I don't want to learn just another European language, and I plan on joining the Army, so Arabic seemed pretty appropriate !
A Level Subjects: French, Philosophy, Maths + Drama to AS level.
GCSE Grades: 7 A*s, 3 As
Which universities will you be applying to: Definitely Durham, Exeter & Edinburgh. For the other two I need to choose between: St Andrews (they seem stingy about retakes), Manchester, Leeds, UCL and SOAS (for the Arabic and World Philosophies course)
Miscellaneous: The dream is Durham, but the Exeter course is really brilliant, so I'd be v happy to go there.

I'm sorry to hear about your A Level results but I'm so happy you'll be applying the same year as me!!! Arabic buddies :smile:

(P.S. Apply for Manchester :wink:)
(edited 6 years ago)
RUSSIAN STUDIES🇷🇺✨ ~ Univeristy of Edinburgh ❤️❤️

Russian is a difficult one to find, most universities only offer it as a joint honours, Edinburgh is the only one in all of Scotland that provides it as a single, which is really frustrating
Original post by December126
RUSSIAN STUDIES🇷🇺✨ ~ Univeristy of Edinburgh ❤️❤️

Russian is a difficult one to find, most universities only offer it as a joint honours, Edinburgh is the only one in all of Scotland that provides it as a single, which is really frustrating

It's worth noting that in Scotland you will have to do two other subjects alongside Russian in your first two years whether you do the Single Honours degree or not, so you could in theory apply for a joint degree and then drop the second subject after two years.

(Also, I believe Glasgow does Russian and East European Studies, which is close enough to a single honours degree)
Great thread! 2019 applicant here, subbing ^_^
Original post by Snufkin
It's worth noting that in Scotland you will have to do two other subjects alongside Russian in your first two years whether you do the Single Honours degree or not, so you could in theory apply for a joint degree and then drop the second subject after two years.

(Also, I believe Glasgow does Russian and East European Studies, which is close enough to a single honours degree)

Ooh right, I wasn't aware of that, thanks so much I'll look into that. I thought about Russian and Politics.
Would I still get something for the second subject even if I dropped out? Obviously not the full award but would it say something about it on the certificate? Thanks
Original post by December126
Ooh right, I wasn't aware of that, thanks so much I'll look into that. I thought about Russian and Politics.
Would I still get something for the second subject even if I dropped out? Obviously not the full award but would it say something about it on the certificate? Thanks

The first and second year 'outside subject' modules will appear on your degree transcript, but you don't get a certificate or anything like that.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I'm sorry to hear about your A Level results but I'm so happy you'll be applying the same year as me!!! Arabic buddies :smile:

(P.S. Apply for Manchester :wink:)

Why? :p: :tongue:
Why? :p: :tongue:

That's where I'm applying too :biggrin:

I went to the Durham open day yesterday and fell in love with it. I can see why you want to go there so much! The course seems to be really good and the year abroad options aren't anywhere near as restrictive as other universities are. It'll probably be my firm if I get a rejection from Cambridge but an offer from there :smile:
That's where I'm applying too :biggrin:

I went to the Durham open day yesterday and fell in love with it. I can see why you want to go there so much! The course seems to be really good and the year abroad options aren't anywhere near as restrictive as other universities are. It'll probably be my firm if I get a rejection from Cambridge but an offer from there :smile:

I was there too!!! :zomg::tongue: Did you go to the faculty drop in session? I went to the last mod langs talk and was at the drop in session when it started around 3PM !!

Which college are you looking to apply to as well? Chad's is my absolute favourite but its hiiighly likely that I'd be reallocated since its v popular :/ Hatfield and Trev's are my next favourites :smile: I applied to Chad's last year but was allocated Trev's - I went to their post offer residential and stayed overnight there and I was really impressed by it :biggrin:

I also went to John's (which I didn't like at all) and Grey (which I did :tongue:).
(edited 6 years ago)
I was there too!!! :zomg::tongue: Did you go to the faculty drop in session? I was there at around 3PM when it started !!

Which college are you looking to apply to as well? Chad's is my absolute favourite but its hiiighly likely that I'd be reallocated since its v popular :/ Hatfield and Trev's are my next favourites :smile: I applied to Chad's last year but was allocated Trev's - I went to their post offer residential and stayed overnight there and I was really impressed by it :biggrin:

Wait which one were you??? I was there as well at 3pm??? I was with my grandma, I was the only boy on the table :biggrin: Were you the girl who is going to Morocco or something to do an Arabic course??

I looked at Castle, Chad's and St. John's and liked Castle the most, my god it is such a stunning college :biggrin: Chad's was alright but I think I preferred St. John's, but it's apparently quite religious so I might not fit in :tongue: I didn't look at any of the colleges further out unfortunately but at the end of the day I think I would be happy anywhere :smile:
Wait which one were you??? I was there as well at 3pm??? I was with my grandma, I was the only boy on the table :biggrin: Were you the girl who is going to Morocco or something to do an Arabic course??

I looked at Castle, Chad's and St. John's and liked Castle the most, my god it is such a stunning college :biggrin: Chad's was alright but I think I preferred St. John's, but it's apparently quite religious so I might not fit in :tongue: I didn't look at any of the colleges further out unfortunately but at the end of the day I think I would be happy anywhere :smile:

loooooool that was me :laugh::laugh: Yeah I'm hopefully going to Morocco for several weeks to start learning MSA, Palestine and Paris too :h:

I thought that the professor that we were speaking to was really amazing! He really was just the sort of inspiring lecturer I'd hope for :biggrin:
loooooool that was me :laugh::laugh: Yeah I'm hopefully going to Morocco for several weeks to start learning MSA, Palestine and Paris too :h:

I thought that the professor that we were speaking to was really amazing! He really was just the sort of inspiring lecturer I'd hope for :biggrin:

Oh my god I can't believe we were so close to each other without even realising!! Wow, that sounds like an amazing experience, you sounded like you knew what you were talking about :smile: I thought it was pretty entertaining that pretty much everyone on that table was applying for French and Arabic apart from me of course :biggrin:

Yeah, I thought he was really great and really accommodating. The things he was saying took a lot of pressure off me as I've concentrated on applying to Cambridge so much, when actually their course has some flaws in it that Durham hasn't got.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending