The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

well she can't be that extraordinary as the medical profession requests a certain degree of logic and ethics and she clearly doesn't possess those
Original post by Attempt2
well she can't be that extraordinary as the medical profession requests a certain degree of logic and ethics and she clearly doesn't possess those

Hot damn! :biggrin:

Aaand it's pretty gross that she's being let off.
Reply 3
Original post by gcse0
An Oxford University student who stabbed her boyfriend in the leg has avoided a prison sentence since she is "extraordinary" in the medical profession.
What are your thoughts?

Choosing who is and who isn't exempt from the law is dangerous and unethical imo, anything irrelevant to the case shouldn't factor into the judgement.

However, I did some reading and it turns out she is/was suffering from a drug addiction. She also hugely regretted it. These could justify being let off the hook, but her talents shouldn't.
Reply 4
What a joke
Reply 5
I quote:
Judge Ian Pringle QC described Woodward, an aspiring heart surgeon, as an “extraordinarily able young lady”, whose talents meant that a prison sentence would be “too severe”.
I guess stabbing isn't really a "severe" crime
Reply 6
Makes sense. The good she will give to the UK general public in her future life's work in the medical industry will far outweigh that of the "relatively minor" injuries caused to one individual who chose to be in a relationship with a drug addict.
So this is what justice is?
Disgusting. Those who are in higher society get to commit crimes without consequences.
Reply 9
The law is present to protect people but it has failed to do in this case by letting her walk free.
If the same was done by a man, he would have definitely gone to prison!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
I thought this happened a while ago?
a thought; if it were a black man and not a white girl, would they have been let off?
Its mad. Courts are supposed to be free and fair as well as judges. If he was fair to all then I guess he would dismiss a young black man for the same crime because he has a natural talent in rapping? I dont think so.
Oxford and Cambridge students are like a religious cult, who all look out for one another throughout the generations.

Honestly, they should be shut down.

The judge was obviously influenced by an outside group or individual.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ed5
Choosing who is and who isn't exempt from the law is dangerous and unethical imo, anything irrelevant to the case shouldn't factor into the judgement.

However, I did some reading and it turns out she is/was suffering from a drug addiction. She also hugely regretted it. These could justify being let off the hook, but her talents shouldn't.

The judge said she was suffering from unstable mental disorders, eating disorders and drug addiction. I don't care how smart they are, I don't want some unstable drug addict as my doctor.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I thought this happened a while ago?

Happened a while ago, sentencing was today.
She has a 'punishment' of 4 months in her mother's villa to be spent drug free (reported today). For stabbing her boyfriend.
Reply 17
Original post by Nurani61105
The judge said she was suffering from unstable mental disorders, eating disorders and drug addiction. I don't care how smart they are, I don't want some unstable drug addict as my doctor.

Fair point, though she did express a desire to overcome her problems and, given she was released, the court must've found this believable.
Original post by gcse0
An Oxford University student who stabbed her boyfriend in the leg has avoided a prison sentence since she is "extraordinary" in the medical profession.
What are your thoughts?
Source - BBC News

Let's be fair and quote the judge's full reasoning here.

“There are many mitigating features in your case. Principally, at the age of 24 you have no previous convictions of any nature whatsoever. Secondly, I find that you were genuinely remorseful following this event and, indeed, it was against your bail conditions, you contacted your partner to fully confess your guilt and your deep sorrow for what happened. Thirdly, whilst you are a clearly highly-intelligent individual, you had an immaturity about you which was not commensurate for someone of your age. Fourthly, as the reports from the experts make clear, you suffer from an emotionally-unstable personality disorder, a severe eating disorder and alcohol drug dependence. Finally, and most significantly, you have demonstrated over the last nine months that you are determined to rid yourself of your alcohol and drug addiction and have undergone extensive treatment including counselling to address the many issues that you face. In particular, you have demonstrated to me since I adjourned this matter in May a strong and unwavering determination to do so despite the enormous pressure under which you were put and which has been referred to me by your counsel.”
Original post by Ed5

Wow, she regretted something that potentially could have put her in jail had she not come out and regretted it. Damning

Latest

Trending

Trending