The Student Room Group

Reasonable adjustments for disability

I have recently been diagnosed with a lifelong neurological condition which is exacerbated by stress. In the past I have had two episodes of serious illness in the week before my final year undergrad exams and now my MSc exams. So I have made a request that in future instead of sitting exams, I be given an alternative form of assessment such as 2 or 3 essays at normal essay standard and word count rather than exam condition standard. According to the equality act, in the work place and education, you can request reasonable adjustments, and I have been told that this would fall under that. I wondered whether anyone else has any similar experience of this and whether you had any success in such negotiations?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by srhowells
I have recently been diagnosed with a lifelong medical condition which can be exacerbated by stress. In the past I have had two episodes of serious illness in the week before my final year undergrad exams and now my MSc exams. So I have made a request that in future instead of sitting exams, I be given an alternative form of assessment such as 2 or 3 essays at normal essay standard and word count rather than exam condition standard. According to the equality act, in the work place and education, you can request reasonable adjustements, and I have been told that this would fall under that. I wondered whether anyone else has any similar experience of this and whether you had any success in such negotiations?

Generally i havent come across a change of assessment as they might be seen as quite different from seeing what you know on the day of an exam. What is common to happen is more time or a change of environment for example you could be allowed to do the assessment in a separate room and allowed rest breaks.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Generally i havent come across a change of assessment as they might be seen as quite different from seeing what you know on the day of an exam. What is common to happen is more time or a change of environment for example you could be allowed to do the assessment in a separate room and allowed rest breaks.

The university disability service have recommended those things, but the issue is more around the period of prolonged and intense memorising of information that comes with exam prep, rather than being able to work at a slower and less pressured pace through the term with essays. The stress of exams has made me ill twice in the past and I now struggle with short-term memory and concentration, so this type of assessment does not allow me to demonstrate my usually good level of understanding and comprehension. Plus there are other courses around a similar subject within the university that have no exams as forms of assessment, they are either essays, posters or presentations.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by srhowells
The university disability service have recommended those things, but the issue is more around the period of prolonged and intense memorising of information that comes with exam prep, rather than being able to work at a slower and less pressured pace through the term with essays. The stress of exams has made me ill twice in the past and I now struggle with short-term memory and concentration, so this type of assessment does not allow me to demonstrate my usually good level of understanding and comprehension.

I have dyslexia and dyspraxia so i understand the memory and concentration problems, I think completing changing the assessment type is seen as being beyond reasonable in most circumstances, i've never heard of it being allowed, as it's more than just extra time that's giving extra days which might give you an advantage over other students.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi its not really a question of negotiations. The standard cannot be changed but method of assessment can bechanged as a reasonable adjustment.. the equality act says if an adjustment will reduce the disadvantage then it should be given unless it is unreasonable to do so. The difficulty with this situation is the university deciding what is equivalent but thatshould be their problem not yours. I would read the equality and human rights commissions advice to higher education is shows that the university really has to provide any effective adjustment and a change in exam form is one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending