The Student Room Group

Gf banned me from having female friends

Scroll to see replies

Dump her, you deserve more respect and trust than that.
Bro youre so whipped hahaha, although this was me i have to be honest.

If you love her, you gotta get her the world, just be careful because no one is as real as they seem, and the only one who really wants to see you win is you.

Dont do untrustworthy stuff behind her back because she will do the same otherwise and you'll have an awful relationship.

She doesnt sound very secure so look after her and make the decision yourself as to whether she is worth it and whether you need it in your life right now. My ex was similar, and I complied with her silly wishes. In return she sold my secrets and ratted out everything personal i gave to her to her girlfriends. Doesnt matter how good you are to someone, doesnt guarantee in any capacity they have to be the same back.

The right thing to do is to keep her happy because she loves you. Youre lucky someone out there cares for you deeply, so keep her safe and if she doesnt want to lose you then keep her close and show her she is special.

Have fun you two, i hope your relationship will be better and more stable than my own!
Original post by a.vi_

The right thing to do is to keep her happy because she loves you. Youre lucky someone out there cares for you deeply, so keep her safe and if she doesnt want to lose you then keep her close and show her she is special.

Have fun you two, i hope your relationship will be better and more stable than my own!

If she "loved" him, she won't be dictating who he can and can't be friends with.
Just do what you want.
Original post by Anonymous
Don't want to give too much details but basically my gf has said I'm not allowed to have any female friends at all. I don't have any anyway as I'm not so confident but they fact that she said she can't really hurts me. She gets very jealous all the time and always worries i will find someone else or something
Any advice?

Say you agree if she agrees to not have any guy friends.
She obviously doesn't love you if she doesn't trust you.
imo you should talk to her and explain to her that she can trust you :h:
Dump her
Ain't worth it man regardless of how long you have been together. I don't see how anybody needs you to behave like that for them. Either she has trust issues due to previous relations or something or she is taking the piss. If my GF randomly did that I would have any of that ****.
I'm sorry but if she really is that controlling and insecure then you should get rid of her. Relationships are built on trust and if she doesn't have any then it won't last. How would she like it if you told her she can't speak to boys? It's your life you can speak to who you want don't let her control you like a puppet there are plenty of other girls out there.
Leave her, she is crazy, jealous and controlling.
NO. Talk to her about it obviously but that is wrong and the exact same features of an abusive relationship. Be careful mate
Don't want to give too much details but basically my gf has said I'm not allowed to have any female friends at all. I don't have any anyway as I'm not so confident but they fact that she said she can't really hurts me. She gets very jealous all the time and always worries i will find someone else or something
Any advice?

She has daddy issues mate
Well she can **** off then, can't she?

:dontknow:
A few of the things that your girlfriend is doing seem excessive, but people on this thread are jumping the gun a bit. I don't think it's that strange tbh.

I had a similar thing with my girlfriend when we first got together. I continued to hang out with my female friends, sometimes just as a two, which looking back is a no no early on in a relationship before you've come to fully trust and understand each other. I totally get why my girlfriend felt weird about it.

My girlfriend is also from another country, where I was living when we got together, and to be fair to her she wasn't lying when she said that it isn't normal for guys and girls who aren't dating to hang out. After I got together with my girlfriend, two of my female friends (one of which i'd known for over a year) refused to meet me anymore. They said that it would feel weird and that they'd feel sorry for my girlfriend. I haven't spoken to either of them since. Strange huh.

In my girlfriend's defense, she never told me that I couldn't have female friends, she just got kinda weird about it which sometimes caused arguments (which are a real ball ache in your second language!). We don't argue about it anymore. I'm upfront with who i'm meeting, as is she, and we've been together long enough to trust each other.

Does your girlfriend have any reason not to trust you? Something you've done? Or is your relationship still young? If you like her, give her the benefit of the doubt and talk to her about it. If she is just crazy and possessive, then i'm sure the relationship won't last long anyway before one of you snaps.
Any advice?

If she's having doubts its proof the relationship isn't meant to last and the longer you string her along the worse it will be for the both of you when you wise up and realize its not meant to be.

In other words, its not that her proposed solution to her fears (disallowing you from having female friends) would not solve her problem. Its that the very fact that she feels the need to cut you off from them is a strong indication of the health of the relationship. If you make it past this hiccup you'll likely encounter another in the future, whether related or unrelated, and you'll be back here asking people who aren't qualified to give advice to give you more advice.
I would have a proper talk with your girlfriend first. It isn't fair for her to demand you not to have female friends whilst she brags about how she spends time with lots of boys. Surely you see this? Maybe there is a reason for her behaviour.

Once you find out the truth in this situation, you need to look to yourself. If nothing changes, are you willing to stay in a relationship like this, where she doesn't trust you and controls your life. What else is there to stay for in such a relationship? This is your life and you need to make a choice. You are only 19 and you have a lot of time ahead of you to find people who respect you and those who love and treat you well. You don't have to stand for this.
Dump her. NOW. Right now.

This is the hallmark of an abuser and she will get worse, not better. If this were a woman saying that her boyfriend doesn't allow her to talk to men, and makes her constantly check in and send pictures as proof everyone would be saying to call a help line and get a safety plan together and dump him. Men can be victims too.

It's not love to do this. It's control. Please get away before she hits you in the head with a cricket bat or something.
Thanks for the advice guys. I shouldn't mention that a few weeks ago I moved to uni, and we like 1 hour drive apart but I still visit her once or twice a week. I guess when I moved or just before is when the problems started happening.
I guess I should go into further detail. Recently when I spend time with flatemates she gets jealous saying I should only spend my time with her so when I do spend time with them or don't msg her she'll get mad and it feels like she wants to break up by ignoring me and saying stuff like you should just spend all your time with them then. Also I haven't been out drinking much cause she doesn't like it and says I should save my time and money to see her now waste on drinking. I guess I Can really see the issue and something needs to be done. She admits she's insecure and gets jealous and yes it was because of a previous relationship. I've never done anything to make her believe I'll cheat in fact I've treated her so well as far as I'm aware. I really do love her and I'm hoping soon she can trust me as we have not been going out for that long.

Also my friend is coming to visit me and when I told her she got so jealous and saying why do I want to spend so much time with him and not her, at the end she said I can't deal with this and made me chose between my friend and her. She's always talking about how there are so many ppl interested in her that are closer, richer etc but then also talks about how she wants to spend the rest of my life with me.
I really don't want to break up with her, it would hurt too much because I've never had anyone who's as attractive as her and who is attracted to me. Btw she is way out of my league I can't talk to girls normally get too nervous, but she is confident, good looking smart etc. So you all think I should end it not wait to see if she will trust me? She does say she regret limiting me to not having female friends and going out etc but says that's the only way she can stay. It's really tough and it it's my first year of uni don't know what to do
Thanks for the advice guys. I shouldn't mention that a few weeks ago I moved to uni, and we like 1 hour drive apart but I still visit her once or twice a week. I guess when I moved or just before is when the problems started happening.
I guess I should go into further detail. Recently when I spend time with flatemates she gets jealous saying I should only spend my time with her so when I do spend time with them or don't msg her she'll get mad and it feels like she wants to break up by ignoring me and saying stuff like you should just spend all your time with them then. Also I haven't been out drinking much cause she doesn't like it and says I should save my time and money to see her now waste on drinking. I guess I Can really see the issue and something needs to be done. She admits she's insecure and gets jealous and yes it was because of a previous relationship. I've never done anything to make her believe I'll cheat in fact I've treated her so well as far as I'm aware. I really do love her and I'm hoping soon she can trust me as we have not been going out for that long.

Also my friend is coming to visit me and when I told her she got so jealous and saying why do I want to spend so much time with him and not her, at the end she said I can't deal with this and made me chose between my friend and her. She's always talking about how there are so many ppl interested in her that are closer, richer etc but then also talks about how she wants to spend the rest of my life with me.
I really don't want to break up with her, it would hurt too much because I've never had anyone who's as attractive as her and who is attracted to me. Btw she is way out of my league I can't talk to girls normally get too nervous, but she is confident, good looking smart etc. So you all think I should end it not wait to see if she will trust me? She does say she regret limiting me to not having female friends and going out etc but says that's the only way she can stay. It's really tough and it it's my first year of uni don't know what to do

Yeah sounds like a psycho.

But you should talk to her about your concerns given that you really don't want a break up. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending