The Student Room Group

4 A-levels

I was thinking of doing 4 A-levels,but I have just been told that I cannot drop one after the first year. I really enjoy the subjects that I'm interested and find it hard to chose between them. Has anyone done/is doing 4 A-levels? How much is the work load? Is it really hard? I have been put off the idea but just curious to see if it is manageable.
Thanks in advance :smile:
It really depends on the combination you do. If your subjects link well you shouldn't be working much harder than your friends who do 3
I did it and my advice is not to do it. Initially you may be able to balance your time and handle the work load, but taking another subject (which is unnecessary as most unis only want 3) will really start to bite when you're doing coursework and exams.

Difficulty depends on the individual subjects, although I would say that subjects such as maths that require loads of past paper revision become harder to fit in with 3 other competing subjects.

It can also damage your competitiveness. Let's say you want to go for a course that has entry requirements AAA. What the uni is really saying is, we want all your subjects to be at a minimum A standard. This means that if you do 4 and end up with AAAB you are potentially jeopardizing your application.
The only reason to take four A-levels is if two of those are Maths and Further Maths (and you're strongly considering applying to STEM courses or the top ~4 Economics courses). There is no benefit otherwise, and may well be a detriment due to being spread more thinly over your different subjects than with three.
What are the options you're considering anyway? If out of 4, 2 of them are easy for you, maybe you should carry on. But just know doing 4 will demand you do 3/2 hours everyday atleast, outside of lessons, just to stay on top of the work. Consider it carefully, since your AS grades will be what gets your application through to uni.
Reply 5
Original post by Calg_
It really depends on the combination you do. If your subjects link well you shouldn't be working much harder than your friends who do 3

Thanks for replying :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AnIndividual
I did it and my advice is not to do it. Initially you may be able to balance your time and handle the work load, but taking another subject (which is unnecessary as most unis only want 3) will really start to bite when you're doing coursework and exams.

Difficulty depends on the individual subjects, although I would say that subjects such as maths that require loads of past paper revision become harder to fit in with 3 other competing subjects.

It can also damage your competitiveness. Let's say you want to go for a course that has entry requirements AAA. What the uni is really saying is, we want all your subjects to be at a minimum A standard. This means that if you do 4 and end up with AAAB you are potentially jeopardizing your application.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
The only reason to take four A-levels is if two of those are Maths and Further Maths (and you're strongly considering applying to STEM courses or the top ~4 Economics courses). There is no benefit otherwise, and may well be a detriment due to being spread more thinly over your different subjects than with three.

Oh okay, I understand, thanks! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 1Confused.child
What are the options you're considering anyway? If out of 4, 2 of them are easy for you, maybe you should carry on. But just know doing 4 will demand you do 3/2 hours everyday atleast, outside of lessons, just to stay on top of the work. Consider it carefully, since your AS grades will be what gets your application through to uni.

I am considering Maths, Literature, History and (4th) Government and Politics. I was told that I should do politics part as the extended project, do you think this is a good idea? :smile: thanks for replying btw.
Original post by bdemirhan
I am considering Maths, Literature, History and (4th) Government and Politics. I was told that I should do politics part as the extended project, do you think this is a good idea? :smile: thanks for replying btw.

If you do 3 a-levels and then do the epq, yeah that sounds like a good idea. But 4 a levels and then an epq is pretty insane in terms of work load. Depending on your course you could drop one, unless you're enjoying your subjects and you think you'll like it even in the middle of A2 (most people dont, it gets really hard and too much to deal with). So check what u want to do and talk to someone and ask how's the subjects you're doing in A2. That should make it easier to decide if you want to do 4 or 3.

Quick Reply

Latest