The Student Room Group

Best universities for computer science

Hi I am an A2 student about to send off my UCAS form. Currently, I am applying to Oxford (Cambridge is better for compsci I know but I prefer Oxford), Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Leeds (I live there + high student satisfaction).

Are there any universities that I've completely overlooked for compsci. The most important criteria for my choice is international rep (planning on finding a job outside UK), quality of course and student satisfaction.

I would also like to go to a university that teaches AI pretty well, as I find it very interesting, but the other factors are much more important than this. Do any former/currents students have any advice for my choice?
Original post by Payapulli
Hi I am an A2 student about to send off my UCAS form. Currently, I am applying to Oxford (Cambridge is better for compsci I know but I prefer Oxford), Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Leeds (I live there + high student satisfaction).

Are there any universities that I've completely overlooked for compsci. The most important criteria for my choice is international rep (planning on finding a job outside UK), quality of course and student satisfaction.

I would also like to go to a university that teaches AI pretty well, as I find it very interesting, but the other factors are much more important than this. Do any former/currents students have any advice for my choice?

Edinburgh and Southampton are worth looking into.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ

This is true, but they are quite far away from where I live
This is true, but they are quite far away from where I live

The travel time to both is similar to London (esp once you factor in the underground) from leeds.
Reply 4

Thinking about applying to two of the same places :tongue: one that I would suggest is St Andrews - I know it's far but it's quite well known internationally and gives a varied course :smile: I was also impressed by York when I looked round although I'm not going to apply there ^-^

Just out of curiousity have you looked round Leeds? I'm considering it but know very little about it :smile:

Edit: I particularly liked nottingham as well, although the reputation probably isn't as high abroad
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Erdon
Thinking about applying to two of the same places :tongue: one that I would suggest is St Andrews - I know it's far but it's quite well known internationally and gives a varied course :smile: I was also impressed by York when I looked round although I'm not going to apply there ^-^

Just out of curiousity have you looked round Leeds? I'm considering it but know very little about it :smile:

Edit: I particularly liked nottingham as well, although the reputation probably isn't as high abroad

Yes I have been to Leeds compsci department. I was quite impressed and all of the students I had spoken to were very satisfied with the course. I believe they are quite good for software engineering if thats what your interested in
Reply 6
Yes I have been to Leeds compsci department. I was quite impressed and all of the students I had spoken to were very satisfied with the course. I believe they are quite good for software engineering if thats what your interested in

Where are you applying to?
Original post by PQ

Would you say Imperial is better than Oxford for computer science?
Original post by soggychips
Would you say Imperial is better than Oxford for computer science?

Iirr imperial don’t do computer science. They do computing.

Even if they did identical degrees the learning environment and student life would be completely different. I can’t imagine that the same personality would thrive in both.
Original post by PQ
Iirr imperial don’t do computer science. They do computing.

Even if they did identical degrees the learning environment and student life would be completely different. I can’t imagine that the same personality would thrive in both.

Is Oxford's computer science course a lot more theoretical than Imperial's computing course? And would a more theoretical grounding be beneficial for a career in software engineering?
Original post by soggychips
Is Oxford's computer science course a lot more theoretical than Imperial's computing course? And would a more theoretical grounding be beneficial for a career in software engineering?

If you want a career in software engineering then why not apply for a software engineering degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending