The Student Room Group

Audit: national markets vs financial services

Hey guys need some advice. i have been asked if i have a preference to either national markets vs financial services to audit.

A bit of background. I'm working for one of the Big 4 in the bristol office. I wanted to know what do you think would be best direction to go. I have no intention of moving into investment banking but would like to move into corporate finance or similar fields.

From above financial services audit seems like the the obvious choice but i have heard that the hours are much worse than national markets and much drier work but from the email i received i was told that "our people usually get a mix of audit and non-audit experience (such as internal audit, consulting and regulatory compliance)."

My question is would it be handicapped by going for national markets?

Any opinions or advice would be very welcome.
Original post by aj6658
Hey guys need some advice. i have been asked if i have a preference to either national markets vs financial services to audit.

A bit of background. I'm working for one of the Big 4 in the bristol office. I wanted to know what do you think would be best direction to go. I have no intention of moving into investment banking but would like to move into corporate finance or similar fields.

From above financial services audit seems like the the obvious choice but i have heard that the hours are much worse than national markets and much drier work but from the email i received i was told that "our people usually get a mix of audit and non-audit experience (such as internal audit, consulting and regulatory compliance)."

My question is would it be handicapped by going for national markets?

Any opinions or advice would be very welcome.

Hi there,

I did FS at one of the Big 4. The hours weren't great, FS is renowned for having the worse hours. However, it's more well known and can sound more impressive both internally and when you try and leave the Big 4. People know or expect you to you have worked long hours and have been pushed hard by your clients in FS, so expect you to be of higher calibre when you are done with your 3-year grad programme or whatever it is.

Work-wise, it just depends on how lucky you get with your clients and how proactive you are about getting yourself onto the better projects.

A fair few of my peers moved from FS audit into corporate finance internally/externally. It's generally not that easy a move from audit to corporate finance, but I think working in FS probably did them a favour.
Original post by theswiftexit
Hi there,

I did FS at one of the Big 4. The hours weren't great, FS is renowned for having the worse hours. However, it's more well known and can sound more impressive both internally and when you try and leave the Big 4. People know or expect you to you have worked long hours and have been pushed hard by your clients in FS, so expect you to be of higher calibre when you are done with your 3-year grad programme or whatever it is.

Work-wise, it just depends on how lucky you get with your clients and how proactive you are about getting yourself onto the better projects.

A fair few of my peers moved from FS audit into corporate finance internally/externally. It's generally not that easy a move from audit to corporate finance, but I think working in FS probably did them a favour.

Hey thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing these days? are still part of big 4/ audit?
No problem. So I left just before the 3-year grad programme finished and moved straight into a commercial strategy role. Now I have a couple of businesses. Audit and accounting are great stepping stones and launch pads for your career, but generally, the experience seems to be most useful if you move into something more strategic as soon as possible after qualifying.

If you're interested in different career paths out of audit and some solid advice on how to secure the more interesting exit routes from audit, I've written about this on my blog theswiftexit. It will hopefully give you some inspiration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending