The Student Room Group

Can you study Psychology without a C at GCSEs?

I want to study Psychology at university next year but I still don't have my C in Maths. I've resat my GCSE maths 5 times since leaving school to no avail. Can you be accepted without it or am I being unrealistic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RiverEli
I want to study Psychology at university next year but I still don't have my C in Maths. I've resat my GCSE maths 5 times since leaving school to no avail. Can you be accepted without it or am I being unrealistic?

Honestly, I don't think it's possible :/ Even foundation years will require a C in Maths because of the quantitative element of psychology
Reply 2
Pretty much all psychology courses I've seen require a grade C minimum regardless of it being a BSc or BA or a foundation course.

What is your current GCSE grade? Have you had 1-to-1 tutoring for maths?
Reply 3
My current grade is D and no I've never had 1-to-1 tutoring because I've never found anyone that does it for adults.

College? Hire a tutor?

Hey..u sat for the extended examinations?why dont u try giving a core examination..
Reply 5
Original post by Sameera.xox
Hey..u sat for the extended examinations?why dont u try giving a core examination..

I'm in the UK and I do foundation not higher.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm in the UK

So u mean in the UK u cant choose between core and extended?😱
Reply 7
Original post by Pathway
Pretty much all psychology courses I've seen require a grade C minimum regardless of it being a BSc or BA or a foundation course.

What is your current GCSE grade? Have you had 1-to-1 tutoring for maths?

My current grade is D and no I've never had 1-to-1 tutoring because I've never found anyone that does it for adults.
Reply 8
So u mean in the UK u cant choose between core and extended?😱

Nope
I'm in the UK and I do foundation not higher.

U mean O levels?
U mean O levels?

Op's talking about (i)GCSE's
What is it that you struggle with in maths?
Reply 12
U mean O levels?

No, GCSE
Reply 13
Original post by TheNumbere
What is it that you struggle with in maths?

I have Dyscalculia, so sitting in a classroom while someone barks numbers at me doesn't really help me learn.
It's the only subject I really have issues with though, I have my English and Science etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Even if a university would accept you (which is highly unlikely) you would probably find a psychology degree incredibly difficult if you are unable to do well at GCSE maths.
You can do functional skills level 2 maths and get in with that. There are unis that accept them just look it up. I haven't got GCSE maths and I'm doing psychology next year too. I'm doing functional skills instead. I've contacted De Montfort university and they accept functional skills maths. Trent university accept equivalent qualification, so does derby university, Coventry university, Wolverhampton university. There are many more places just contact them and ask. If I don't pass functional skills my last resort is going through clearing. Since you have all your other GCSEs you're fine.

Ps don't let anyone tell you it's unrealistic lol. My friend got in psychology and teaching without a GCSE math. She NEEDS GCSE maths for teaching so she'll retake after uni. She said the maths used in psychology (statistics) are easy. I have friends that got into nursing without maths. Imagine all those mathematical calculations they'll have to do for drug calculations. And yes they passed the interview math questions.

PPS I literally made an account to reply to this since everyone seemed negative on here.
Good luck ^_^

If you can’t get a c in gcse maths no way can you do the maths involved in undergraduate psychology it’s all ethics and statistics
Original post by Ezziie_98
You can do functional skills level 2 maths and get in with that. There are unis that accept them just look it up. I haven't got GCSE maths and I'm doing psychology next year too. I'm doing functional skills instead. I've contacted De Montfort university and they accept functional skills maths. Trent university accept equivalent qualification, so does derby university, Coventry university, Wolverhampton university. There are many more places just contact them and ask. If I don't pass functional skills my last resort is going through clearing. Since you have all your other GCSEs you're fine.

Ps don't let anyone tell you it's unrealistic lol. My friend got in psychology and teaching without a GCSE math. She NEEDS GCSE maths for teaching so she'll retake after uni. She said the maths used in psychology (statistics) are easy. I have friends that got into nursing without maths. Imagine all those mathematical calculations they'll have to do for drug calculations. And yes they passed the interview math questions.

PPS I literally made an account to reply to this since everyone seemed negative on here.
Good luck ^_^

Yea I’ve done the course, I’m telling you now if you can’t even get a C it’s not easy.

I’ve seen so many people competent in maths struggle, I strongly suggest you look up the course modules you will be undertaking so you can see.

Also all the unis you mentioned are crap
Original post by Ezziie_98

Good luck ^_^

Not sure if this is a standard thing, but at my university in the first week after freshers in first year, they made us sit a maths test to see if we were competent if we hadn't done maths at A-Level.

You're not going to cope if you can't do grade C GCSE maths, and tbh, I'd recommend grade B. Being accepted and actually being able to do the course and pass the modules with good grades are two completely different things.
I have looked up the modules and they interest me. I'll just have to see how it goes when I start the course. I'm not gonna let maths stop me from doing psychology. Also that's your opinion if you think the unis I mentioned are crap.

You only live ONCE ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest