The Student Room Group

Is Unikitout any good? Alternatives?

I'll be studying at Sheffield this coming academic year, so there's this shopping ruckus at home. Heard of Unikitout, seems really convenient, especially for an international student like me, but is it legit? And are there any other similar websites?
Yes its convenient and yes it looks legit.

I have just looked at the prices and they seem expensive tbh.

If you make a list of the items you need, then I would buy the stuff myself and save 30-50% or more. I looked at the prices and didnt think they were good value.
Sheffield has shops you know. Its a good way to get out and about.

Argos, Wilkinsons, Poundland, Poundstretcher, B&M Bargains, Home bargains, TJ Hughes.
Ebay is also pretty good.
If its only a year, then you only need stuff to last for that long.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Yes its convenient and yes it looks legit.

I have just looked at the prices and they seem expensive tbh.

If you make a list of the items you need, then I would buy the stuff myself and save 30-50% or more. I looked at the prices and didnt think they were good value.
Sheffield has shops you know. Its a good way to get out and about.

Argos, Wilkinsons, Poundland, Poundstretcher, B&M Bargains, Home bargains, TJ Hughes.
Ebay is also pretty good.
If its only a year, then you only need stuff to last for that long.

Thanks, will keep it in mind
Original post by ssshah2
I'll be studying at Sheffield this coming academic year, so there's this shopping ruckus at home. Heard of Unikitout, seems really convenient, especially for an international student like me, but is it legit? And are there any other similar websites?

Sites like that are legit, they just charge more than it would cost you a) because they provide the service of sourcing and sending out the products and b) they are a business so want to make a profit. It shouldn't take you more than a day absolute max to go to the shops and buy the things you need and it would be a good way for you to familiarise yourself with Sheffield, but ultimately its up to you if you'd rather pay instead.
Guys I use them last year and correct the products are not cheap cos they are such good quality and the comforter is soooo cosy. Save me so much time so i'm happy.
(edited 6 years ago)
I looked at the items included in the basic full kit out and you can get all of what's in it for around half the price from a combination of Wilkos and Poundland:smile:
Original post by JazSuth98
I looked at the items included in the basic full kit out and you can get all of what's in it for around half the price from a combination of Wilkos and Poundland:smile:

Might be half price but they fall apart within a month - trust me i learned the hard way with wilkos :angry:
Original post by keironrichens
Might be half price but they fall apart within a month - trust me i learned the hard way with wilkos :angry:

You made a new account just to say that hmmmm

If you know how to shop and recognise quality, then you can buy good products for less money.
Original post by 999tigger
You made a new account just to say that hmmmm

If you know how to shop and recognise quality, then you can buy good products for less money.

Haha yeah it's all a bit new to me, fresher fail :colondollar:
Reply 9
Unikitout is great! Loving their online customer service. Somehow I have had some issues loading their store pages from home in Singapore (pages just refuse to load on either Chrome or Safari), I got in touch. One of their online service staff, Sarah was kind enough to manually piece together an order for me after manually running through with me what was available on their site. Really appreciate their excellent service with a human touch.
(edited 5 years ago)
I got the UniKitOut (bedroom, kitchen and bathroom) when moving to uni from abroad two years ago and since it has been some time now and I have been using many of the items daily, I can now make the most informed review.The first problem I encountered was when this was delivered and I have received the wrong towel size. Luckily, they were really quick to replace that and in the end, the towels are actually the only thing that I am really satisfied with from the box.The pillow and blanket that came in this pack are really thin, which I would not mind as much for the blanket, but the pillow is so flat you could just lay on the matress without it to the same effect. The bedding was not bad, but you could get one that is much better quality for 1/3 of the price at Wilko or Tesco. What I want to point out though, is that since I arrived to my uni halls late at night, it was nice not having to sleep on a bare matress and therefore I don’t think the bedding was such a bad deal.What I did hate the most about this pack though was the kitchen equipment. I paid crazy money for extremely low quality and had to throw out some of the pots after less than a MONTH because the inside teflon-like layer started peeling off into my food! Also really don’t recommend the tea towels, as they have been “shedding” since I first got them and they don’t soak up any water either. So stay away from the kitchen equipment in this service.Another thing that broke just after a couple of uses was a blow drier that I ordered as part of this - as I was drying my hair, smoke and burnt smell started coming out of it which also really freaked me out! Definitely not a device that is safe to use.Overall, I would say that you pay a really high amount of money for something that is just really bad quality convenience. However, I doubt that you should be charged as much for the convenience since there were definitely problems with delivery as well as many of the items breaking within weeks of me using them. I think I would be able to get all these items for half the price or less and really regret not having done that in my first year, since, besides having to replace a lot of the stuff almost immediately, I am still stuck with a bunch of crappy things today.
I got the UniKitOut (bedroom, kitchen and bathroom) when moving to uni from abroad two years ago and since it has been some time now and I have been using many of the items daily, I can now make the most informed review.
The first problem I encountered was when this was delivered and I have received the wrong towel size. Luckily, they were really quick to replace that and in the end, the towels are actually the only thing that I am really satisfied with from the box.
The pillow and blanket that came in this pack are really thin, which I would not mind as much for the blanket, but the pillow is so flat you could just lay on the matress without it to the same effect. The bedding was not bad, but you could get one that is much better quality for 1/3 of the price at Wilko or Tesco. What I want to point out though, is that since I arrived to my uni halls late at night, it was nice not having to sleep on a bare matress and therefore I don’t think the bedding was such a bad deal.
What I did hate the most about this pack though was the kitchen equipment. I paid crazy money for extremely low quality and had to throw out some of the pots after less than a MONTH because the inside teflon-like layer started peeling off into my food! Also really don’t recommend the tea towels, as they have been “shedding” since I first got them and they don’t soak up any water either. So stay away from the kitchen equipment in this service.
Another thing that broke just after a couple of uses was a blow drier that I ordered as part of this - as I was drying my hair, smoke and burnt smell started coming out of it which also really freaked me out! Definitely not a device that is safe to use.
Overall, I would say that you pay a really high amount of money for something that is just really bad quality + convenience. However, I doubt that you should be charged as much for the convenience since there were definitely problems with delivery as well as many of the items breaking within weeks of me using them. I think I would be able to get all these items for half the price or less and really regret not having done that in my first year, since, besides having to replace a lot of the stuff almost immediately, I am still stuck with a bunch of crappy things today.
Original post by FuryPotato13
I got the UniKitOut (bedroom, kitchen and bathroom) when moving to uni from abroad two years ago and since it has been some time now and I have been using many of the items daily, I can now make the most informed review.
The first problem I encountered was when this was delivered and I have received the wrong towel size. Luckily, they were really quick to replace that and in the end, the towels are actually the only thing that I am really satisfied with from the box.
The pillow and blanket that came in this pack are really thin, which I would not mind as much for the blanket, but the pillow is so flat you could just lay on the matress without it to the same effect. The bedding was not bad, but you could get one that is much better quality for 1/3 of the price at Wilko or Tesco. What I want to point out though, is that since I arrived to my uni halls late at night, it was nice not having to sleep on a bare matress and therefore I don’t think the bedding was such a bad deal.
What I did hate the most about this pack though was the kitchen equipment. I paid crazy money for extremely low quality and had to throw out some of the pots after less than a MONTH because the inside teflon-like layer started peeling off into my food! Also really don’t recommend the tea towels, as they have been “shedding” since I first got them and they don’t soak up any water either. So stay away from the kitchen equipment in this service.
Another thing that broke just after a couple of uses was a blow drier that I ordered as part of this - as I was drying my hair, smoke and burnt smell started coming out of it which also really freaked me out! Definitely not a device that is safe to use.
Overall, I would say that you pay a really high amount of money for something that is just really bad quality + convenience. However, I doubt that you should be charged as much for the convenience since there were definitely problems with delivery as well as many of the items breaking within weeks of me using them. I think I would be able to get all these items for half the price or less and really regret not having done that in my first year, since, besides having to replace a lot of the stuff almost immediately, I am still stuck with a bunch of crappy things today.

Thanks for the full review! I'm moving next month and will probably be shopping for myself after reading this haha
We're big advocates for UniKitOut! We've got a discount code that you can use (ROOST10) where you can get 10% off your order. Also, we're running a competition on our social media where you can win a £50 voucher for their website :smile: you can check this out on our FB/Twitter/IG @studentroostuk

Quick Reply

Latest