The Student Room Group

Direct Proportion Help

Hello,

I am trying to get my head around direct proportion and cant seem to answer this question.

A simple machine has an effort : load ratio of 3 : 37. Determine the effort, in newtons, to lift a load of 5.55 kN.

Can anyone shed any light
Thanks
Reply 1
a way too look at it is that the "total" is 40, so thats 3 + 37. 37 is the 5.55, so you need to divide that by 37, which conveniently which is easy if you have a calculator. now you know what "1" is, you just need to multiply it by 3, which will be your final answer
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by medavidcook

A simple machine has an effort : load ratio of 3 : 37. Determine the effort, in newtons, to lift a load of 5.55 kN.

This says that it takes an effort of 3 N to lift a load of 37 N or to put it another way, 3 N corresponds to 37 N i.e.

effort 3N37N3 \text{N} \equiv 37 \text{N} load

So to what effort does an load of 1 N correspond, if it's a linear relationship? (Hint: how do you go from 37 to 1?)
Original post by Ash1597
a way too look at it is that the "total" is 40, so thats 3 + 37. 37 is the 5.55 ..

The rules of this forum forbid complete answers.
Reply 4
Original post by atsruser
The rules of this forum forbid complete answers.

uh oh, ill edit the post
well 5.55 ÷ 37 is 0.15 x by 3 is 1.35 - however the answer should be 450N.

I just can't seem to get that answer.
Reply 6
firstly, 0.15 X 3 is not 1.35.

you then need to convert that amount of kN to N by multiplying it by 1000, then thats your answer
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ash1597
firstly, 0.15 X 3 is not 1.35.

also, you sure its not a load:effort ratio? it greatly matters which order round they are. is it effort: load or load: effort?

Sorry didnt clear calculator

I copied the question direct from book.
Reply 8
Sorry didnt clear calculator

I copied the question direct from book.

right so now hopefully youve got 0.45 kn, now you need to convert that into newtons, by multiplying that by 1000, which gives you...
Original post by Ash1597
right so now hopefully youve got 0.45 kn, now you need to convert that into newtons, by multiplying that by 1000, which gives you...

Yeh i have thanks
Yeh i have thanks

nice one

Quick Reply

Latest