The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greenapplepear
Hi,

I'm currently in year 12 and I'm studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. After getting my GCSE results I was a bit worried because I only got 8A*s, 3As and 2Bs (equivalent) therefore are my GCSEs grades good enough to apply for medicine at Cambridge? Also, we have the new A level maths qualification (linear) this year and if I obtain an A* in the full A level this school year, would I have a slight advantage in the application process?

Thank you!

Hi, thanks for posting, you don't have anything to worry about! We don't have any GCSE requirements for Medicine* and we're much more interested in how you're doing at A level. You wouldn't have an advantage as such by taking maths early as this would unfairly disadvatage students who didn't have that opportunity but getting an A* would demonstrate that you are capable of excelling and would certainly be better than having a lower grade. Would you be taking 3 subjects in year 13?

*and you've done well, congratulations! Be proud of yourself!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Just wanted to post this article from BBC news about the University's record intake of students from UK state school, including (by complete coincidence) students about to start at Peterhouse and Christ's.

Thank you for posting this. :smile:

Exactly this.
vvv
But he believes it's about hard work rather than background - and from his experience of the application process, "they're not bothered where you've been". Nonetheless, stereotypes die hard. "Everyone assumes that I'm going to start rowing," he says.

.......though, what’s wrong with rowing????
It’s about time people do something about unfair, prejudiced view on rowing.......
Everyone CAN and SHOULD row!
He should, too, when he start at Cambridge!

:tongue:
Original post by The RAR
My GCSEs weren't great(Not a single A or A*), am I still able to make a competitive application?

Yes! We don't have any GCSE requirements and are much more interested in your sixth form performance. Seeing a candidates go from no As at GCSE to predicted A*s at A level can be very encouraging.
Original post by black1blade
Also relating to the personal statement, wondering if it is worth dedicating space to things like attitude to learning, how I find learning rewarding ect.

We would recommed you spend at least 80% of the personal statement writing a love letter to your subject, talking about how you've gone above and beyond your school work and why you're excited to spend 3 or 4 (or 6) years of your life studying the subject. The remaining 20% can include work experience, volunteering, sports, music, hobbies, interests and the things you mention.
Morning all!

As the Ask an Admissions Tutor thread from @Murray Edwards Admissions has been so busy these last few weeks, we decided that it might be a good idea to try our first ever joint thread between @Peterhouse Admissions and @Christ's Admissions!

Please ask away with any questions you might have about Cambridge, our courses or the admissions process. Where appropriate, we'll be tagging each other for second opinions etc. but I think the majority of questions can be dealt with by one or the other of us. Hopefully this will help drill home the message that all colleges are looking for the same sort of thing and that there aren't meaningful differences between colleges.

in my interview for physical nat. sci willcan i be interviewed on maths or is it only physics/chem. Also where can i find info on where the colleges are in relation to the departments
I'm applying post-a2 for geography and have only met the standard offer of a*aa, i know many people applying post-a2 will have grades way above the standard offer, but do I still have a chance? I have extenuating circumstances as well. If I weren't successful at my original college, do you think this could lead to being pooled due to meeting the standard offer? Sorry for such a specific question and thanks for taking the time to answer it! :smile:
Original post by kyragsy
Hi! I'm an international student thinking of applying to Cambridge for Medicine. At the moment, Christ's college looks absolutely appealing!
IGCSE: 9A*s
AS: 3As and 98UMS for Math
A level predictions: A*A*A*A* triple science and math

With my academics, would I be eligible for Cambridge medicine?

Yes! There isn't much you could improve on. You should strognly consider applying if you like the look of the Cambridge course and are happy with the financial requirements.

Original post by kyragsy

I'm aware of the competitiveness and the tight quota for international students. Does Cambridge have a cut off score for the BMAT? Would failing to do well in the BMAT completely ruin my chances of getting in or would Cambridge look at my application holistically?

It is true to say that international spaces for Medicine are very strongly contested. Successful overseas medics generally do well in all aspects of the application. Assessment is holistic and there isn't a cutoff for the BMAT and you should simply aim to do as well as you can in all elements and let the Admissions Tutors be the arbiter of who gets a place.
Morning all!

As the Ask an Admissions Tutor thread from @Murray Edwards Admissions has been so busy these last few weeks, we decided that it might be a good idea to try our first ever joint thread between @Peterhouse Admissions and @Christ's Admissions!

Please ask away with any questions you might have about Cambridge, our courses or the admissions process. Where appropriate, we'll be tagging each other for second opinions etc. but I think the majority of questions can be dealt with by one or the other of us. Hopefully this will help drill home the message that all colleges are looking for the same sort of thing and that there aren't meaningful differences between colleges.

Hi Peterhouse (and Christs) Admissions,

I know this will probably be a long response, but please could you explain, as best as you can (with as much detail if possible) how the admissions process works for Cambridge overall (all things colleges do), and then specifically for Peterhouse? So for example, do you use numbered grading systems (/10) to grade candidates overall?

Also Christs admissions, please could you do the same for christs college specifically?

Thanks in advance
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Needchemhlp
in my interview for physical nat. sci willcan i be interviewed on maths or is it only physics/chem. Also where can i find info on where the colleges are in relation to the departments

Hi, you'll be asked questions relevant to your proposed course of study and which you could answer based on what you've studied already. You'd be unlikely to be asked many pure maths questions but maths is a necessary part of physics and chemistry so you're likely to get questions around those subjects.

https://map.cam.ac.uk/ will show you where things are, but be aware that lectures aren't always at the relevant department, many colleges have accommodation away from their main site and that Cambridge is a small and relatively compact city.
Original post by Needchemhlp

University of Cambridge map
https://map.cam.ac.uk

But don’t worry too much about locations of departments/colleges.
Not all lectures/practicals/supervisions are at a department and you don’t always live on a main site of your college.
And Cambridge is very compact, no where you need to go is beyond 10 min bike ride away, mostly within 5 min.
Original post by vincrows
University of Cambridge map
https://map.cam.ac.uk

But don’t worry too much about locations of departments/colleges.
Not all lectures/practicals/supervisions are at a department and you don’t always live on a main site of your college.
And Cambridge is very compact, no where you need to go is beyond 10 min bike ride away, mostly within 5 min.

Snap!
Hi, you'll be asked questions relevant to your proposed course of study and which you could answer based on what you've studied already. You'd be unlikely to be asked many pure maths questions but maths is a necessary part of physics and chemistry so you're likely to get questions around those subjects.

https://map.cam.ac.uk/ will show you where things are, but be aware that lectures aren't always at the relevant department, many colleges have accommodation away from their main site and that Cambridge is a small and relatively compact city.

Also I have another question:

I read some of the Ask and admission tutor threads on here, and it looks like a lot of them were stating their grades. It makes me wonder, what do people these days consider to be a strong Candidate?

By strong, I mean likely to get an offer. Anyway, I'm sure people are tired of reading this, but here's my grades/stats that I think are relevant to me applying:

GCSEs = 7 A*s 3As
Maths A Level = A* 93% UMS average
Predicted UCAS = A*A*A*
NSAA test prediction (specimen) = 87%
Practise interview (hypothetical) = 8/10

Here are my supercurriculars:

C3CL = gold (very proud of :biggrin:)
Mathematics Senior = gold award
Further Reading
Cambridge essay prize = awarded

Please don't shoot me for saying this, but what are my chances? How likely can one see that it is for me to get an interview?

What grades are actually strong?

Thanks in advance
Reply 92
Hi - this thread is brilliant - thank you:smile:

I have a quick question about direct vs open applications as I just want to make sure I understand this. If I make an open application, which is competitive (eg A*A*A) for History, will colleges like Christs/Peterhouse typically receive this based on the computers allocation of open applications or are they usually just too 'oversubscribed' (30+ according to last years stats)?

I looked on the stats page https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics and it looks like last year only Churchill, Girton, Homerton, Magdalene, Murray Edwards were allocated took open applications.

TBH - I really want to study at Cambridge and I really don't mind which college I end up:smile: so I am favouring an open application.
Reply 93
Original post by vincrows
.......though, what’s wrong with rowing????
It’s about time people do something about unfair, prejudiced view on rowing.......
Everyone CAN and SHOULD row!
He should, too, when he start at Cambridge!

Or gymnastics :wink:

No ridiculous early morning starts in the freezing cold...
(let's not take the thread into the bullrushes without an oar though. lol.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Beagle12
I looked on the stats page https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics and it looks like last year only Churchill, Girton, Homerton, Magdalene, Murray Edwards were allocated took open applications.

It varies every year. The prior year included John's, Emma and Downing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Or gymnastics :wink:

No ridiculous early morning starts in the freezing cold...
(let's not take the thread into the bullrushes without an oar though. lol.)

Last word,,,,,
You’re very biased and you know that.
Gymnastics doesn’t even have any college-based club, while rowing has one of the most popular sports with a club at every college, and that’s in spite of training in ungodly early hours.
College sports is what matters at Cambridge. :wink:

End of debate. :biggrin:

I have a quick question about direct vs open applications as I just want to make sure I understand this. If I make an open application, which is competitive (eg A*A*A) for History, will colleges like Christs/Peterhouse typically receive this based on the computers allocation of open applications or are they usually just too 'oversubscribed' (30+ according to last years stats)?

TBH - I really want to study at Cambridge and I really don't mind which college I end up:smile: so I am favouring an open application.

As @Doonesbury suggested, try going back more years. You can see last year’s was an exception only 4 those colleges that happened to have a reputation of being less-subscribed. All other years, open applicants are much more widely allocated.

If you really mind which college you’ll be at but want to take more control, you can throw a dice! :biggrin: (and i'm not joking.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi.
I am in year 12 and hoping to study Economics. My school did offer Further Maths A level this year, but because of the new linear A levels, they have changed the system so that everyone studies 3 A levels only.
I know that Further Maths is recommended for the Cambridge Economics course. As many state schools must be restricting students to 3 A levels now, what does this mean for those of us applying with only single Maths?
I got a 9 at GCSE.

The open allocation algorithm is complicated but does take into account historic (i.e. over past years and not including the current cycle) levels of interest in a subject so you'll be more likely to be allocated to a college with a lower historic number of applicants. All colleges recieve some open applicants but some get more than others,
Original post by Glanviator
Also I have another question:

I read some of the Ask and admission tutor threads on here, and it looks like a lot of them were stating their grades. It makes me wonder, what do people these days consider to be a strong Candidate?

By strong, I mean likely to get an offer. Anyway, I'm sure people are tired of reading this, but here's my grades/stats that I think are relevant to me applying:

GCSEs = 7 A*s 3As
Maths A Level = A* 93% UMS average
Predicted UCAS = A*A*A*
NSAA test prediction (specimen) = 87%
Practise interview (hypothetical) = 8/10

Here are my supercurriculars:

C3CL = gold (very proud of :biggrin:)
Mathematics Senior = gold award
Further Reading
Cambridge essay prize = awarded

Please don't shoot me for saying this, but what are my chances? How likely can one see that it is for me to get an interview?

What grades are actually strong?

Thanks in advance

We can't give you an assessment of your chances without seeing your full application including all relevant contextual information and how it compares to the other applicants in your subject across the University, not to mention the missing elements of admissions assesments and interviews.

You look like you will have a competitive application and you should think about applying if you like the look of our courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending