The Student Room Group

How hard it it to score a 5 in section 1 and 2 in the BMAT?

^^^^^^ And how should I prepare for the BMAT?
Reply 1
Section 1 - All about past papers and exam technique, just like in your UKCAT!
Section - not much you can do for prep here and the scentific knowledge should have been learnt in years and years at school, maybe just go over key formula in the offical revision guide and past papers

As for scoring a 5, it can be challenging if your time management is ****. Why not try past papers and see what you get and work on your weaknesses
They go back to 2003 i believe.
Quite hard.
Original post by BULL14
^^^^^^ And how should I prepare for the BMAT?
Use the accessed guide for section 2 on the BMAT website and do all past papers (even more than once). What BMAT unis are you applying for btw if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Samplym
Section 1 - All about past papers and exam technique, just like in your UKCAT!
Section - not much you can do for prep here and the scentific knowledge should have been learnt in years and years at school, maybe just go over key formula in the offical revision guide and past papers

As for scoring a 5, it can be challenging if your time management is ****. Why not try past papers and see what you get and work on your weaknesses
They go back to 2003 i believe.
Is 5 the average score? I thought it was at least 6 :/
Reply 5
Original post by RevisionGuide
Use the accessed guide for section 2 on the BMAT website and do all past papers (even more than once). What BMAT unis are you applying for btw if you don't mind me asking?

I am just applying to UCL, but am considering imperial
Reply 6

4.4-4.6 is the average score :smile:

6 would be an excellent result and is the average score for those accepted at Oxford. Average is more like 4.5.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/344660-explanation-of-results-document.pdf
Reply 8
How do I prepare for it?

Those who have done well any tips would be appreciated
I'll be honest, I did 3 days of preparation for the BMAT. I did a section 2 and 3 each day and the marks I was getting turned out to be very close to what I got overall. (7.6, 5.6 and 4A)

If you're taking Biology, Maths and Chemistry for A Level, getting a 5 in paper 2 should be easy. If you don't do physics, just brush up on the basic concepts and formula and you'll be okay (I had to guess them all because I'm lazy and just refused to revise for physics bc I really dislike the subject to be quite honest, hence my lower score in paper 2.)

Paper 1, I think it down to a general knack for verbal reasoning and such skills they looked for in the UKCAT. I did about the same amount of prep for the UKCAT and got 730 avg. If you're generally good with critical thinking skills, finding flaws in arguments and conclusions etc. it won't be too difficult to get above a 5. If you're doing practices and aren't getting the scores then of course practice much more, but don't wear yourself out. All med schools give you the same job at the end of it, so trying to get into the competitive BMAT schools like UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge isn't all that important.

The essay - I did do quite a bit of practice for. I didn't write out essays, but I planned an answer for every essay question in the past papers to make sure I could argue for both sides. Ultimately, if you answer every sub point they ask you to, you'll get a 3 minimum. 4s and 5s come with original ideas, and an A should be alright if you got A/A* in English GCSE.

And if you think I'm some golden pupil talking myself down, I'm retaking 2 maths modules this year because I did pretty poorly!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by dépaysant
I'll be honest, I did 3 days of preparation for the BMAT. I did a section 2 and 3 each day and the marks I was getting turned out to be very close to what I got overall. (7.6, 5.6 and 4A)

If you're taking Biology, Maths and Chemistry for A Level, getting a 5 in paper 2 should be easy. If you don't do physics, just brush up on the basic concepts and formula and you'll be okay (I had to guess them all because I'm lazy and just refused to revise for physics bc I really dislike the subject to be quite honest, hence my lower score in paper 2.)

Paper 1, I think it down to a general knack for verbal reasoning and such skills they looked for in the UKCAT. I did about the same amount of prep for the UKCAT and got 730 avg. If you're generally good with critical thinking skills, finding flaws in arguments and conclusions etc. it won't be too difficult to get above a 5. If you're doing practices and aren't getting the scores then of course practice much more, but don't wear yourself out. All med schools give you the same job at the end of it, so trying to get into the competitive BMAT schools like UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge isn't all that important.

The essay - I did do quite a bit of practice for. I didn't write out essays, but I planned an answer for every essay question in the past papers to make sure I could argue for both sides. Ultimately, if you answer every sub point they ask you to, you'll get a 3 minimum. 4s and 5s come with original ideas, and an A should be alright if you got A/A* in English GCSE.

And if you think I'm some golden pupil talking myself down, I'm retaking 2 maths modules this year because I did pretty poorly!

Thank you so much.

What unis are you applying to?
Original post by BULL14
Thank you so much.

What unis are you applying to?

I know I just gave the 'you don't need to apply to BMAT schools' talk but seeing as I did fairly well I am going to haha.

I'm applying for Cambridge (I wasn't going to because my double maths UMS average is pretty poor, and not like '93 can I still get in?!' it's more like 80 and I probably will be in the 10% not called to interview.) because my school have encouraged me to give it a shot, and they may not consider it so heavily because I didn't do other AS levels this year (reformed).

Imperial is where I'd like to go as I live in London, so it would be fairly convenient and cheaper (accommodation wise) and I did work experience and some summer research at their medical school and I liked it!

Also, UCL and Birmingham, and Imperial for Medical Biosciences (some fancy new name for Biomedical sciences basically). I would probably take the biomed over UCL or Birmingham medicine and then later convert if I got it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
I know I just gave the 'you don't need to apply to BMAT schools' talk but seeing as I did fairly well I am going to haha.

I'm applying for Cambridge (I wasn't going to because my double maths UMS average is pretty poor, and not like '93 can I still get in?!' it's more like 80 and I probably will be in the 10% not called to interview.) because my school have encouraged me to give it a shot, and they may not consider it so heavily because I didn't do other AS levels this year (reformed).

Imperial is where I'd like to go as I live in London and a family member works there, so it would be fairly convenient and cheaper (accommodation wise) and I did work experience and some summer research at their medical school and I liked it!

Also, UCL and Birmingham, and Imperial for Medical Biosciences (some fancy new name for Biomedical sciences basically). I would probably take the biomed over UCL or Birmingham medicine and then later convert if I got it.

PS. my brother did medicine at Cambridge and moved to Imperial for his PhD and clinical years - he much prefers it. (I'm gonna delete this and the other bit because I don't wanna reveal too much info about my life on here aha)

Thank you again.

Why would you retake maths again if you got in the 80s?

Surely you are still as likely to get an A* to someone who got 100ums.

Do you think it's a risk applying for biosciences at Imperial, because of the personal statement?

Lastly: how did you prepare for the BMAT? i.e. resources. Because you did pretty damn brilliantly!

Ngl if I got those bmat scores I would faint....
Is one months revision enough time?
Original post by BULL14
Thank you again.

Why would you retake maths again if you got in the 80s?

Surely you are still as likely to get an A* to someone who got 100ums.

Do you think it's a risk applying for biosciences at Imperial, because of the personal statement?

Lastly: how did you prepare for the BMAT? i.e. resources. Because you did pretty damn brilliantly!

I got a D in FP1, and when you redistribute my modules to get an A* in Maths A Level, I fall short of an A at FM AS by about 3 UMS.

No, other courses are very aware that medical students must apply to a fifth option - there's no discrimination! As long as you mention biology in your personal statement and have the grades, you're a worthy candidate. A family member is an admissions tutor at Imperial, and although the course is Geography & Physics oriented, they'll send out offers to people who have been rejected for Chemical Engineering if they do physics and maths.

I just used the past papers available online on their website. Thank you! But, as I said, I think I'm just good with English literacy skills and critical thinking. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BULL14
I am just applying to UCL, but am considering imperial
I'm applying to UCL, Leeds and Cambridge :L
Section 3 should be fine if you take an essay based subject at A Level. Perfect structure and analysis will score you top marks in the essay. Even if you don't take an essay based subject, you could stick to standard PEEL/PEED paragraphs and if you're naturally good at arguing a point across and backing it up detail then you should be fine :biggrin:
Reply 18
Section 3 should be fine if you take an essay based subject at A Level. Perfect structure and analysis will score you top marks in the essay. Even if you don't take an essay based subject, you could stick to standard PEEL/PEED paragraphs and if you're naturally good at arguing a point across and backing it up detail then you should be fine :biggrin:

Have you done the bmat already?

If so how did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending