The Student Room Group

A Level Help!!

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I know it might be really early to think of this, but do you have any idea what you might want to do for a career?
Reply 2
I honestly don't have any idea, I thought these would keep my options open considering I have an interest for Law, I enjoy English and Psychology seems interesting.
Original post by Exo9
I honestly don't have any idea, I thought these would keep my options open considering I have an interest for Law, I enjoy English and Psychology seems interesting.

I do Psychology:smile: I'm only in the first year, but AMA x
Reply 4
How is it? Is it harder than other subjects and would you recommend it?
Original post by Exo9
How is it? Is it harder than other subjects and would you recommend it?

My other subjects are Maths, Further Maths and Economics
Psychology is the easiest subject out of my options for me, but you must have good essay writing skills:smile:
I would recommend it, I find it super interesting!
I suggest looking at the specification and reading the course content and seeing whether it sounds interesting to you x
Reply 6
I really enjoy English and writing essays and from what I've researched it sounds interesting but I'm wondering how my A Levels look together and if it's a lot to handle or if it's okay?
Original post by Exo9
I really enjoy English and writing essays and from what I've researched it sounds interesting but I'm wondering how my A Levels look together and if it's a lot to handle or if it's okay?

Your A levels seem to complement each other nicely, especially if you like writing essays! I'd check some universities you may want to apply to, and see if there are any subject preferences? But it is good that you already have one facilitating subject (English) x
Reply 8
And I'm fairly good at all subjects- except science. And I'm worried this will effect my psychology choice. Aside from psychology the only other A Level I would be considering doing is Media Studies but I don't think that will look well alongside Law and English.
Reply 9
Thanks for your response, this has been stressing me out for a while and I get really bad migraines when I stress and I didn't know what to do. Currently I'm doing higher for all my GCSEs except science, that is the only subject I am doing foundation in and most psychology courses want a B in psychology and foundation only goes up to a C so this is another thing that has been stressing me and I honestly don't know what to do
Original post by Exo9
And I'm fairly good at all subjects- except science. And I'm worried this will effect my psychology choice. Aside from psychology the only other A Level I would be considering doing is Media Studies but I don't think that will look well alongside Law and English.

In my school, you had to get a 5 or above in maths and a B or above in biology to take Psychology. How did you do in your GCSEs? If you're really worried about not being able to keep up, speak to your teachers and ask them if they think you are capable.
Psychology does have a fair bit of statistics and, in the Edexcel one (which is what I do) Biological Psychology is a big topic, but if your teachers think you are up for it, then you should definitely do psychology over media studies, as it would look better to universities/employers:smile:

EDIT: I meant- what are you predicted?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
I haven't done my GCSEs yet, I'll be doing them in May but my school pushes us to apply to colleges in November and hence decide our A Level courses so that's why I'm stressing out about the courses
Original post by Exo9
Thanks for your response, this has been stressing me out for a while and I get really bad migraines when I stress and I didn't know what to do. Currently I'm doing higher for all my GCSEs except science, that is the only subject I am doing foundation in and most psychology courses want a B in psychology and foundation only goes up to a C so this is another thing that has been stressing me and I honestly don't know what to do

You said you have a couple of months to decide, so you shouldn't worry too much about it right now. Take a step back and remember that you could always change subjects if after a week you feel overwhelmed:smile:

Again, my advice is sit down with your teachers and talk about the science and mathematical aspect of psychology and whether they think you will cope etc. Just remember that your teachers are there to help you choose the subjects that are best for you, and your school will support you and help you x
Original post by Exo9
I haven't done my GCSEs yet, I'll be doing them in May but my school pushes us to apply to colleges in November and hence decide our A Level courses so that's why I'm stressing out about the courses

Yeah sorry, I meant what are you predicted for your GCSEs/ what have you been getting in your most recent tests for maths and sciences?
Honestly just do what you enjoy the most. The way to get through A Levels and get the best grades is to do the subjects that you love, it makes an unbelievable difference. If you're doing a subject you don't particularly like, you'll have zero motivation to do all of the extra work that A Levels require. This would be slightly different if you wanted to go into the sciences, but since you sound like an arts person, the combination doesn't tend to matter that much...don't think too much about what unis think at this stage. Also, call me naive but I genuinely do believe that there aren't A Levels that are significantly harder than others - it all depends on you as a person...e.g most of the people I know find History A Level the hardest of their A Levels, but I've found it to be the easiest of my A Levels. It's all relative. Hope that helps :smile: This is gonna be a difficult two years, you need to be doing something you enjoy. Base it on that.
Reply 15
Original post by Queenie123
Yeah sorry, I meant what are you predicted for your GCSEs/ what have you been getting in your most recent tests for maths and sciences?

I'm predicted a 7 in English, 6 in math and a 7 in science but because I zoned out in year ten with science they decided to put me in foundation with the highest I can get a 5, I know that if I work hard I can get that 5 but I don't know if I can do psychology with that
Reply 16
Original post by teenstressaddict
Honestly just do what you enjoy the most. The way to get through A Levels and get the best grades is to do the subjects that you love, it makes an unbelievable difference. If you're doing a subject you don't particularly like, you'll have zero motivation to do all of the extra work that A Levels require. This would be slightly different if you wanted to go into the sciences, but since you sound like an arts person, the combination doesn't tend to matter that much...don't think too much about what unis think at this stage. Also, call me naive but I genuinely do believe that there aren't A Levels that are significantly harder than others - it all depends on you as a person...e.g most of the people I know find History A Level the hardest of their A Levels, but I've found it to be the easiest of my A Levels. It's all relative. Hope that helps :smile: This is gonna be a difficult two years, you need to be doing something you enjoy. Base it on that.

Thanks a lot for your advice, I know that I'll enjoy English and Law and it's the third option I keep questioning. The only options for me there are media studies, which I feel I would be quite good at and enjoy, and psychology which interests me. However, the only thing about Media Studies is that it doesn't compliment my other A Levels and I honestly don't know how I'd pursue it further. I was thinking of doing English Lit and Lang, Law, Psychology as an A Level and then Media as an AS but I don't know if colleges do that anymore.
Reply 17
We have mocks coming up in November and I keep telling my science teacher that I want to do higher but she doesn't seem to listen to anyone and I know that if I work Hard In the mocks I can prove to her that I can do it but she has to do higher and foundation entries around now and I don't know how I can convince her. I think it's easier to get a 5 in higher than foundation considering you only need a smaller percentage but I'm not sure.
Original post by Exo9
I'm predicted a 7 in English, 6 in math and a 7 in science but because I zoned out in year ten with science they decided to put me in foundation with the highest I can get a 5, I know that if I work hard I can get that 5 but I don't know if I can do psychology with that

Its very hard to say whether you'd be capable of doing psychology because I don't know you!:smile: But, I think that if you really want to, and if you really work hard, then you would be able to get a good grade. I think you should ask your teachers whether you should do anything else to prepare yourself, e.g. further reading.
Original post by Exo9
Thanks a lot for your advice, I know that I'll enjoy English and Law and it's the third option I keep questioning. The only options for me there are media studies, which I feel I would be quite good at and enjoy, and psychology which interests me. However, the only thing about Media Studies is that it doesn't compliment my other A Levels and I honestly don't know how I'd pursue it further. I was thinking of doing English Lit and Lang, Law, Psychology as an A Level and then Media as an AS but I don't know if colleges do that anymore.

Taking an AS really wouldn't enhance your application and it would be better for you to focus on just three subjects:smile:
Psychology does complement your other subjects and it is well respected, so if your teachers think you would be able to do it, then I say go for it! x

Quick Reply

Latest