The Student Room Group

Realistically, will I cope with A-Level Physics without Maths

I’m doing History, Geography and Physics for A-Level and got a 6 in GCSE Maths.

So far I’ve enjoyed Physics, because I find it interesting and for some reason I enjoy applied maths but despise pure maths (the reason why I didn’t take Maths). So far I haven’t struggled and I’m up to SUVAT equations.

I enjoy my subjects a lot and particularly like the fact that they’re all quite different. I picked these subjects because I enjoyed them at GCSE and they were also my best grades (well, highest marks as I got all A’s besides Maths). I’m also very motivated to do well in it, despite not being able to do anything STEM/Physics related at university.

Since I’m doing 3 subjects I’ll have more time to practice the maths side of Physics, but do you think I’d struggle without Maths?
Original post by Fonzworth

Maths in physics A-Level is easy, like ~ B @ GCSE easy. Mech in maths A-Level can help a bit, but no biggie. So it's doable, I know a few who coped fine.

It's not that physics w/o maths is signif harder, it's that those who take both tend to be better at maths/sci (self selecting).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Just take maths with mechanics. It helps
No.
If you look at the specification, you'll see that the difficulty of the maths involved is greatly overexaggerated. It does not assume that you have studied A-level maths.

Original post by skinthelongbate
No.

??
I did Physics AS and Maths as a full A Level and only one topic was covered in both subjects - mechanics
Reply 6
I’m doing History, Geography and Physics for A-Level and got a 6 in GCSE Maths.

So far I’ve enjoyed Physics, because I find it interesting and for some reason I enjoy applied maths but despise pure maths (the reason why I didn’t take Maths). So far I haven’t struggled and I’m up to SUVAT equations.

I enjoy my subjects a lot and particularly like the fact that they’re all quite different. I picked these subjects because I enjoyed them at GCSE and they were also my best grades (well, highest marks as I got all A’s besides Maths). I’m also very motivated to do well in it, despite not being able to do anything STEM/Physics related at university.

Since I’m doing 3 subjects I’ll have more time to practice the maths side of Physics, but do you think I’d struggle without Maths?

You'll fail Physics.
I personally wouldn't take physics without maths. I don't know what you want to do at uni but I take it you understand that any course that will ask for physics will also ask for maths. It's your decision, though.
The maths in A-level physics isn’t that challenging, a lot of it is just plugging numbers into a formula. There may be a bit of algebra manipulation but that’s what you would find in GCSE maths. I would say however that if you don’t do A-level maths, the only way you could do physics at uni is if you find a foundation course that doesn’t require maths. One of my friends who did physics got a B and he didn’t take maths at A-level.
Reply 9
Original post by SwayzieExpress
I personally wouldn't take physics without maths. I don't know what you want to do at uni but I take it you understand that any course that will ask for physics will also ask for maths. It's your decision, though.

I may do Geology which asks for 2 sciences, Geography counts as 1
I may do Geology which asks for 2 sciences, Geography counts as 1

Why not take Maths as a fourth?
Reply 11
Original post by Ladkus
Just take maths with mechanics. It helps

In the time I would have maths I could practice the maths in Physics and I don’t really want to stress a lot over an AS
Reply 12
Original post by Exceptional
Why not take Maths as a fourth?

I don’t really want to stress over an AS and in the time I would have maths I could practice the maths in Physics
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Andrew Dainty
The maths in A-level physics isn’t that challenging, a lot of it is just plugging numbers into a formula. There may be a bit of algebra manipulation but that’s what you would find in GCSE maths. I would say however that if you don’t do A-level maths, the only way you could do physics at uni is if you find a foundation course that doesn’t require maths. One of my friends who did physics got a B and he didn’t take maths at A-level.

That’s the unfortunate thing, I don’t thing Physics at degree level would be for me
Reply 14
Original post by SwayzieExpress

This is the annoying thing, but I guess if it requires a solid maths background then the degree isn’t for me
Reply 15
Original post by skinthelongbate
No.

Original post by 06moca1
You'll fail Physics.

How so?
How so?

As someone who took A level physics without maths. Only two people got decent grades and both did A level maths. Everyone else screwed up.
Reply 17
Original post by 06moca1
As someone who took A level physics without maths. Only two people got decent grades and both did A level maths. Everyone else screwed up.

Would you say that they worked hard and practiced a lot?
As long as you feel very confident with the content you covered in GCSE Maths then I don't see any reason why you should struggle with the mathematical content in A Level Physics. The reason why people not taking A Level Maths often do worse at A Level Physics is probably less to do with them not taking Maths and more to do with them more likely being weaker at maths/physics in the first place.
Reply 19
Original post by Plagioclase
As long as you feel very confident with the content you covered in GCSE Maths then I don't see any reason why you should struggle with the mathematical content in A Level Physics. The reason why people not taking A Level Maths often do worse at A Level Physics is probably less to do with them not taking Maths and more to do with them more likely being weaker at maths/physics in the first place.

Thanks for this, I remember someone saying that the only advantage of doing A-Level Maths is that they get more practice

Quick Reply

Latest